When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex DJ 1601

preacher62

I have never found balls/tape sufficient to remove a properly installed caseback.

Balls & tape are fine for a temporary closure while working or timing a watch, but these are not secure solutions. As suggested above, you should always install a Rolex caseback with a proper caseback tool. A bench style is easiest to use, but the wrench style secures the caseback just as well.

I have this watch and the case back is welded up on there. Any suggestions? I've tried duct tape and the O'frei ball. I even sat the caseback on an ice pack then tried to loosen it. No such luck.

Wrong way. You want HEAT to expand and potentially loosen. Try BRIEFLY, setting it on the pad of a Mr. Coffee/Coffee Maker. (Still think you need a proper tool as mentioned, but worth a shot)

If you have a local competent watchmaker near by, swing it by to have him open it. Chances are, the caseback gasket has turned to sludge and has acted as an additional adhesive to the sealing :) I've opened up watches from the 50's and 60's era where the gasket was pretty much a stickey, tar like goo. Could be the same issue here...

Ive never been able to open a Rolex with a rubber ball or duct tape. If its properly tightened down, you will need the proper tools to open it. I use the Bergeon 5537 Rolex Case Opener Tool as shown above and it works perfect. I had one old ExpII case that was stuck and i used a torch lighter to apply a little heat to the caseback and it opened up no problem.

dizz