When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Walking in the footsteps of greatness...

chiman12

My initial inspiration was Ubi's 5514 project located here. I can truly say that I love all of Ubi's projects. He has a great attention to detail and I consider him one of the best modders/builders that I have ever came across. As such, I endevoured to create my own COMEX 5513, but a much cheaper version than Ubi's (because I got 2 kids to feed!!)

So here is my attempt at a COMEX 5513 sub...

P1013915.jpg

P1013910.jpg

I have to also thank Alligoat for supplying me the old school thin cased 1665 with the functioning He valve. He was gracious enough to sell me the case so I can realize my project.

I tried to create some water damage/aging just like Ubi's dial, but it is difficult to replicate. I believe I managed to get the look close enough. In addition, I used a NDT 5517 sub dial that I couldn't sell. I removed the "T" symbol and appiled the aging to the dial.

P1013909.jpg

I also reshaped the CG's to match a 5513, so the 1665 CG's got an invite to the chiman CG spa...

P1013905.jpg

The case back, thought incorrect, also had the full engravings of a 1665, so I removed some of the engravings and also reshaped the case back to give it a more pronounced dome.

P1013912.jpg

Here is an original case back for comparision...mine is missing COMEX and the serial no. Image borrowed from 10pastten.com

TA430-2.JPG

To finally finish off my COMEX 5513...the controversial 93150 bracelet!!!!

P1013914.jpg

So my specs are:

old skool 1665 thin case

cartel bezel insert..faded

gen Rolex crown

Clarks tropic 19

NDT 5517 dial...converted to a 5513 dial

ETA 2836...I had one kicking around

CousinsUK sub hands...

old skool cartel 93150 bracelet with the controversial clasp...

Here is a closing shot of a gen COMEX 5513...

TA430-1.JPG

Once again...thanks to Ubi for the inspiration and thanks to Alligoat for the case.

Cheers!!!!

Looking good Chi! But I didn't sell you the case, I sold you a pearl and a working HE valve! The case came with it. I'm amazed you were able to fit a Clark's T-19 on there- I'd tried an Ofrei crystal but it was too big, as I recall.

Age that pearl and take down the outsides of those cg's and you'll have a fine watch. It's a great resurrection and I'm excited to see it.

P.S. I miss your dog! I've got a runtweiler that is always sticking her tongue out- I've thought of making it my avatar. Her name is Alli!

Thanks for the kind comments everyone!!!

Looking good Chi! But I didn't sell you the case, I sold you a pearl and a working HE valve! The case came with it. I'm amazed you were able to fit a Clark's T-19 on there- I'd tried an Ofrei crystal but it was too big, as I recall.

Age that pearl and take down the outsides of those cg's and you'll have a fine watch. It's a great resurrection and I'm excited to see it.

P.S. I miss your dog! I've got a runtweiler that is always sticking her tongue out- I've thought of making it my avatar. Her name is Alli!

M! The project wouldn't have happen without your help..so thanks once again!

The crystal was ever so slightly larger, so I found a different retaining ring that fit tighter than the original that came with the case. This ring pinched the edge of the crystal tight against the case and it fits really tight now. As for the pearl, that is one thing that escaped me! I'll take it back out and apply some of my vintage lume to it.

My crazy dog avatar! My son named him Garfield! He always looks up at me with that dopey look, so I decided to a pic of it one day! It'll be back one day...

Nice build!!

Lets go back to that dial... as Freddy asked, how did you get that texture? Looks really nice. I try to spray mine with light coats to get texture, but i can never get it like yours.

Lets go back to that dial... as Freddy asked, how did you get that texture? Looks really nice. I try to spray mine with light coats to get texture, but i can never get it like yours.

L...I would spray on the varinsh that is to be used (matte, clear, satin) and let the varnish set up for about 15-20 seconds, than use a towel or paper towel and quickly and lightly dab at the dial until you get the finish that you want (you'll feel the tackiness of the varnish). The dabbing will lift the varnish ever so slightly, because it's still setting up. If you don't use a lintless paper towel, you will need to rinse the dial after the varnish dries completely, to rinse off the excess fibers the paper towel leaves behind.

For the finish on my GMT, I used a matte varnish and would dab a few less times and when the varnish is more wet.

I initially experimented on a few spare dials and tried different materials to get different effects.

But NEVER wipe the dial...because that will screw up everything and then you feel like this...:black_eye: :black_eye: :black_eye: :black_eye: !!!!