When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review: 111J from Noob factory vs 177L from Hublot maker

babola

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah I figured it would be too late b. I guess what I was wondering is would it be possible to use a top plate as a bottom plate. You could fill the cutouts with lume which would give you alot of lime without it having to bubble up from the plate like the 177 bottom plate does. I realize that something would have to be used as a bottom plate still to keep the Lume in but I am just thinking out loud at this point.

If you could get me the thickness of the plates next time you have one apart I would greatly appreciate it.

Alright babola...Your great writeup has inspired me.

I'm ordering a 111J from my favorite cartel collector and will do a side by side compare with my 111H project watch.

I don't remember exactly how much I spent on each of the parts and services (sub-conscious memory block that is common in trauma cases), but I do know it was a LOT!

My project watch consists of the following:

111H cartel case

Standard cartel high beat A6497 dagger movement (cleaned up as pretty as possible)

V CG

T-48 crown

Little Hero dial

DSN sapphire crystal with single sided Chief AR

Zigmeister service and lume on dial and hands.

It will be interesting to see how a $200 OTB, currently available watch compares to a highly customized piece...my suspicion is it will do very well...We'll see.

Stay tuned.

Excellent write up babola :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I just received my 177L yesterday, and I've spent all day looking at it, and your review highlighted a couple of minor issues that, whilst they didn't (and don't) bother me, at least I can now plan an easy fix. Those being the dial colour and finsh, and the movement - methinks I will save some pennies and order a 111J next month and then see who can carry out the transplant for me.

Other than that, I'm as amazed as everyone else with regard to the appearance, feel and fantastic lume on these :D If the only fly in the ointment is the poor movement, then that's a relatively simple and straightforward fix.............if only it was always this easy......maybe we'd get bored ;)

Yeah I figured it would be too late b. I guess what I was wondering is would it be possible to use a top plate as a bottom plate. You could fill the cutouts with lume which would give you alot of lime without it having to bubble up from the plate like the 177 bottom plate does. I realize that something would have to be used as a bottom plate still to keep the Lume in but I am just thinking out loud at this point.

If you could get me the thickness of the plates next time you have one apart I would greatly appreciate it.

Hmm, if you're ready to go that distance why not just scrapping the lume from the existing disc and apply a thinner layer, I'd most likely do that if I were you. That would create the same or similar thickness of the lume used on the 111J disc. If the Noob factory used Superluminova, it would have been perfect, even if applied in a thin layer.

If you're after a 111J rep get a new 111J, separate the dial discs, scrap the existing mediocre lume from the base disc, apply the Superluminova lume again, do the same on the hands - and that should do. :)

I wouldn't touch the 177L dial though, even with thick lume layer, it's great as is ;)

Or simply send it to one of the modders/lumers.

cheers,

b

Is this rank right?

In general case fit and quality or pre-V case closeness, in particular?

For pre-V build the closest would be 111J, followed by EL/old-cartel one.

However, in general i'd rate them: JF, 111J, EL... in that order. That's how I feel about them anyway...others may disagree.

DSN caseset isn't even close, sorry.

In general case fit and quality or pre-V case closeness, in particular?

For pre-V build the closest would be 111J, followed by EL/old-cartel one.

However, in general i'd rate them: JF, 111J, EL... in that order. That's how I feel about them anyway...others may disagree.

Blimey thats a sweeper ;)

Even keener now to see the 111J in my hand and against the gen.

Your such a tease D :)

Blimey thats a sweeper ;)

Even keener now to see the 111J in my hand and against the gen.

Your such a tease D :)

Mate, the old-school '05/'06 EL PAM000/005 that used to come with an incorrect 201/A pre-V CB (serial no 348) had the best case for pre-V project I've ever come across in the rep world. Helenarou also had this case on offer as spare part on eBay for a very short time during early '07.

However, those are so far and few between these days that when I refer to EL case I refer to his later casesets, with slightly more elongated lugs than his 'original' 000/005 cases.

So for any pre-V build the list in order of priority when it comes to cases would IMO be:

- old EL PAM000/005 (pre-'07)

- new & current 111J (with a slight lug re-shape and hex-to-round crown tube swap)

- 'standard' EL and old-school case (pre-'08)

- Jimmy Fu (rep of his own 001C)

- old-school DSN case (pre-'08)

- new cartel case (pre-'09)

...and then everything else which if you're serious about your Pam mods wouldn't even come under consideration.

cheers!

b

hey D...

out of curiousity, how does one know if a rep comes from the Noob factory or the Hublot maker?...i've always marveled that you guys know the factory/maker, but never asked how you knew it...

R, these two (111J and 177L) have been advertised by the dealers as such.

For example all the recent chrono Daylights based on A7753 as well as the 111J were released by the Noob factory.

Rad 288, destro 219L, 177L etc come from Hublot maker.

There are many more models that came out recently, but you get the gist ;)

If unsure just flick a short email to Josh or Andrew for example. ;)