When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Signs of a compulsive buyer?

ubiquitous

I realize that most of my projects likely wouldn't have even seen fruition if I wasn't a compulsive buyer, but lately I've been picking up things for watches that I had no intention of ever buying or building.

Wouldn't be much of a problem, except now I need to find a watch to match with this; just one of the items among many that I've managed to accumulate lately...

IMG_9800.jpg

IMG_9803.jpg

IMG_9816.jpg

All in due time I suppose, as I have a couple of projects on the books that I need to finish up first. What I'd really like to know is if there's a 12 step program to enroll in? A $100 insert shouldn't be the motivation to pick up a $5k watch, should it?

Or maybe I'm looking at this from the wrong perspective...

:g:

You mean it isn't?

Since posting this thread, I got to thinking- Maybe these types of compulsive purchases work out best for me in the end. Seems as though that when I actually plan on projects, I end up doubling and tripling down on parts to use the best of the lot for my build. The compulsive buys tend to work out with a little less redundancy.

Hmmmmmm....

If you ever want to have a go at building a 1:1 gen like (WM9 quality or better) 16710 GMT II, I'd like to be on the list. As for "compulsive buying"....it's an addiction. I constantly find myself scouring the internet for 16610 watches/parts/etc. knowing that I really have no need for them. But if there isn't any plan "in the works" by anyone to build a gen 16710 or 16760, I will end up compulsively purchasing the gen. though I WON'T do that more than once.

Edited by d-rock

You know you are in deep trouble when you look in the box....value only half of the pieces that you never/hardly ever wear - but would never sell........add this value to ALL of the multiple sets of parts you have, for those builds that never quite seem to get finished .....and it EQUALS the value of a GEN grail............that you have cherished for years, but convinced yourself you cannot possibly afford!

Oh dear, I'm in DEEP! :whistling:

Edited by PMMUTD68

and I thought I was alone out there.....having like 40 watches between GEN & REP....and parts/movements to build another 8 watches....I seem to buy parts, just cause it looks like a good deal...I know eventually I may not even get around to building the damn thing :bangin:

You know you are in deep trouble when you look in the box....value only half of the pieces that you never/hardly ever wear - but would never sell........add this value to ALL of the multiple sets of parts you have, for those builds that never quite seem to get finished .....and it EQUALS the value of a GEN grail............that you have cherished for years, but convinced yourself you cannot possibly afford!

A $100 insert shouldn't be the motivation to pick up a $5k watch, should it?

Or maybe I'm looking at this from the wrong perspective...

:g:

Ubi, that's kinda they way I buy a new pistol. I start collecting brass and suddenly realize I have 1000 pieces of brass and I need to load them and find something to shoot them in! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Well said. Ain't that the truth. My wife has even pointed that out to me by saying that "with all the money you're spending and have spent on fake watches and your gen parts you could have already HAD a real one". I do believe she's right, though I refuse to sit down and actually crunch the numbers..I most likely don't wanna know.

Edited by d-rock

best way to curb the compulsion: let the wifey manage all the money accounts!

LOL that squared me up with the quickness!

I would if I could but she's not really familiar with watches and part numbers so that wouldn't work for me. :pardon:

And it was a forum member here I believe that hit the nail on the head in saying......"remember, it's the journey, not the destination. How true that is.

Edited by d-rock

A $100 insert shouldn't be the motivation to pick up a $5k watch, should it?

The first step is admitting you have a problem... :bangin:

I aquired a boring old gen clasp for an 80's Datejust about 6 months ago... It was bugging me but sitting there all by itself in my parts trays, so I bought some more gen parts to go with it... And it somehow turned into this...

ALL gen except for ETA-2836 and temp ETA hand set. Proper Datejust hands are on order.

I know I'll never wear it, but at least that gen clasp isnt sitting there taunting me anymore.

:crazy:

post-6336-0-50056200-1295011541.jpg