When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Range Rover Sport- Anyone have one or know someone that does?

ubiquitous

I had a 2005 HSE and a 2007 supercharged. Both were amazing to drive and looked great but were service nightmares. Dealer was great here in Fort Worth, but I was always driving a Sport loaner while mine were in for service..that broke on me once and compared to the HSE was really plastic feeling for the cost.

All I drive now in the way of an SUV is my Chevy Avalanche. I am on my second one and I can say it surpasses what I paid for it.

Good Luck :)

It's a shame to hear this about the new Rovers. I've got a '96 Discovery that is far and away the strongest and most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. And that includes 13 Hondas. The old girl goes anywhere, does anything, in any conditions. Of all the people I know she's the one that gets called out when conditions or demands are the worst.

I hope Rover can turn it around.

I remember the Top Gear review of these. It floats around the road like a barge (as a truck will) so it's soft suspension is not suited to it's massive power.

Then when you get it off-road, the suspension is not as durable or compliant as a normal Range Rover .. so it's ill-suited for what Range Rovers are supposed to be all about .. Off-road competence.

How are they in terms of maintenance and reliability? I've been looking at one, but a friend of mine cautions against.

I also caution against. I've known a couple people who have had one. Reliability is non-existent. Something was always going wrong, and it was annoying things... Like the AC would blow heat in to the car instead of AC. Lots of time spent for the owners taking them in and getting things fixed.

It's a shame to hear this about the new Rovers.

+1. Always hard to watch a hard earned brand name fall from greatness. You decide whether to blame Ford for screwing it up prior to selling jag & LR to Tata motors in 2008, or Tata themselves.

I'll tell you one thing. One quick glance at tatamotors.com at least proves the final nail was hammered to death.

"We Care"

True to the tradition of the Tata Group, Tata Motors is committed in letter and spirit to Corporate Social Responsibility. It is a signatory to the United Nations Global Compact, and is engaged in community and social initiatives on labour and environment standards in compliance with the principles of the Global Compact.

Are they running a wildlife sanctuary? Are they loving and hugging baby seals? Or manufacturing (what were once) hardcore off road vehicles and world class touring cars? $#ck social responsibility, they are not running for senate, and there is nothing globally compact about building SUV's. How about responsibility to growing a set for Rover, so that Rover can be a Rover again. Any "commitment to environmental standards and compliance with lessening global impact", directly impacts the ability of their product to perform its fundamental job.

If I were in the market for a $80K SUV, I'd rather see a commitment to space age carbon composite reinforced blower belts and suspension systems re-engineered to clear obstacles larger than a pebble, than hear about spa days for dirty little orphaned hampsters.

I think I was lucky! I bought a bbrand new supercharged Sport 3 years ago and have had very little issue wth it over 28000 miles. They are very expensive to run though even in diesel form. Budget at least £2-3K a year fro servicing costs.

I have just switched to an Audi Q7 diesel and it runs rings round the RR for refinement and poise on the road! If I bought another it would have to be the classic Range Rover and not another sport.

A friend used to drive Range Rovers for years, then got a Range Rover Sport and had all the problems you mentioned. According to the dealership (my wife bought her Jag from the same dealer) the full size RR less problematic.

I was always impressed how heavy the RRS is compared to other SUVs of similar size and therefore simply was a slow car. I'd prefer a similiar prized Tourag or Q7. Maybe there is a good deal on a Cayenne - the new Cayenne has a stunning interior.

Thanks gang for the replies. You've all effectively talked me out of the Sport :) I think the maintenance issues would drive me insane; it's maintenance problems that caused me to dump our last Audi.

Think I'll just wait to get anything new. Not in any huge hurry (it's nice only having to pay on Mrs. Ubi's car).

Thanks again!

//ubi

Too bad about the Rover, R.

Such classic, handsome vehicles.

As someone told me when we thinking of buying an SUV - if you want great reliability with bland driving experience, go asian. If you want spirited driving with high maintenance costs go german.

R, my father drives a RRS and has had only a few minor issues, nothing compared to replacing an engine in my mother's LR2 after only a year!!! The technicians here couldn't figure out what was wrong with it and after replacing parts and countless man hours, Land Rover actually flew a technician from the UK to conduct the engine swap. However, while it was in the shop for 3 months they used a brand new LR3 to get around, now that was a beast on the highway, a thirsty box on wheels! :black_eye:

We've all driven the sport and like it but it's not as competent in the winter as my Discovery. Can you tell we like Rovers? ;)

Defender as most will attest to, is the ultimate off road Rover, however are no longer produced in NA and a used one in excellent condition will set someone back a pretty penny! If they produce it again or something similar, you can pretty much guarantee there would be 2 pre-orders here! :D

:drinks:

it's not as competent in the winter as my Discovery.

Boy you've got that right... the Disco is flippin' magical the way it gets around in the snow. Several times I've been in snow deep enough I was pushing it with my headlights and had no problems at all.