When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Finally 1680 serviced eta 2846 movement returns - Help me make some important re-assembly decisions - Please!

Mapman57

So finally my eta 2846 serviced/regulated movement returns and I can re assemble all of my parts. I have an old thread running detailing the work and build - some may recall.

This is not a review - I will do that once finished ! What I will do now is express a HUGE THANKS to two brilliant fellow UK members who have helped so much - 'Cuschochris' and 'Mack' - not modders, just helpers and great mates!

Key elements include;

Case rework

CG's shaped

Lugs drilled out for 2mm gen bars

Gen 703 crown

Gen insert (to be decided)

Custom made retainer ring (no more plastic gasket!!!!)

Clark 127

Serviced and regulated movement

Sealed to 7 ATM water resistance

93150 bracelet and 93150 clasp and 580 closed end links

Ha ha ha - just noticed I left the standard lug pins in the pictures here!

SDC13961.jpg

The QUESTION is - shall I go with my aged / grey bleached vintage no pearl insert OR my Gen, no pearl UNBLEACHED black insert.

The addition of the new Clark 127 has kind of made the watch look quite new again. My old 127 was aged and acratched etc.

With the Gen black insert the watch has a kind of serviced , very well cared for look.

The bezel inserts are not glued/snapped in, the bezel assembly and retainer ring are not fully assembled on the following pics - they are just to show the effect of each insert in the final look.

PLEASE HELP ME SELECT THE BEST LOOK?

First up the new retainer ring - not fully assembled down - but a great improvement/upgrade.

SDC13963.jpg

SDC13965.jpg

SDC13966.jpg

WITH the Gen black insert.....in a new unused bezel ring

SDC13978.jpg

SDC13977.jpg

SDC13975.jpg

SDC13973.jpg

SDC13972.jpg

And now the aged grey bleached insert....in a used bezel ring

SDC13971.jpg

SDC13970.jpg

SDC13967.jpg

In my opinion, in real life the insert makes a huge visual difference that may not be as obvious here.....:D

Come on Guys and Gals - please get voting so I can finish the job! ;)

Edited by PMMUTD68

Very nice job. Why not snap the old aged insert into the old bezel, the new in the new and try each one out for a while and see what you like. One thing I would vote for personally would be a nice tritium pearl. I just don't like the no pearl look. In my case, since I wear mine every day, including whatever i'm doing outside, that big hole is a great place for dust and dirt to get between the bezel and the retaining ring/washer.Of course if you aren't in a dusty environment, that might not be a reason, just asthetics.

Very nice job. Why not snap the old aged insert into the old bezel, the new in the new and try each one out for a while and see what you like. One thing I would vote for personally would be a nice tritium pearl. I just don't like the no pearl look. In my case, since I wear mine every day, including whatever i'm doing outside, that big hole is a great place for dust and dirt to get between the bezel and the retaining ring/washer.Of course if you aren't in a dusty environment, that might not be a reason, just asthetics.

Many thanks panerai.....what a great suggestion on the bezel/insert combo's, it must have been MY idea? :whistling:

Ha ha ha....sometimes you 'do not see the wood for the trees'. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Where might I get a vintage style pearl to add in, at a reasonable price of course?

Edited by PMMUTD68

The holes on both inserts look a bit large. I would get a ofrei or yuki pearl with a dab of offwhite paint inside.

I personally like the bleached one better.

On a side note, is that a PT case? Keep an eye on the crystal at the 10 oclock marker, it may have been slightly damaged when pressing it on. My clark 127 looked exactly the same as yours and now leaks there.

:thumbsupsmileyanim:....so those 580 endlinks can be currently ordered if I contact PT for a 93150 bracelet?

Many thanks bto.....yep unfortunately they are rep 580's .....came from Angus on my PT1665 93150 bracelet.....correct closed style. I will post pics once I have finished the final assembly.

The holes on both inserts look a bit large. I would get a ofrei or yuki pearl with a dab of offwhite paint inside.

I personally like the bleached one better.

On a side note, is that a PT case? Keep an eye on the crystal at the 10 oclock marker, it may have been slightly damaged when pressing it on. My clark 127 looked exactly the same as yours and now leaks there.

Hi - the holes are not that large - it is the huge scale of the pics. The faded insert takes a PT vintage acrylic pearl, which sits within the triangle (pic below). Same is true on the gen insert.

That is indeed a PT case and the Clark 127 is a very tight fit! Thanks for the heads up on the 'damage' possibility. I have had it off and taken a close look under a loupe. It was actually a small scrape on the upper outside edge of the crystal (reflecting along the edge), caused when the retainer ring was pushed down a little off flat center. Cant see it being a problem, the piece has passed a 7ATM pressure test since assembly. But I will keep an eye on it! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

This is the same PT insert with a PT vinatge pearl in ........

drsd_05.jpg

Its not a small scrape, your crystal is cracked.It looks like a scrape but 99% chance its not. The rehaut on these watches is too thick and when you snap on that new crystal (fits way too tight), you get hundreds of small cracks from the bottom upwards. I toasted TWO crystals on my PT1680 case.

I thought mine was fine also... until one day after washing the dishes, I saw that my Sub was full of fog inside.

:thumbdown:

Then after I dried it out, I wore it out in the rain to walk my dog... more fog in the crystal...

Happened to 2 clarks crystal on mine as well.

DSC_0511.jpg

Its not a small scrape, your crystal is cracked.It looks like a scrape but 99% chance its not. The rehaut on these watches is too thick and when you snap on that new crystal (fits way too tight), you get hundreds of small cracks from the bottom upwards. I toasted TWO crystals on my PT1680 case.

I thought mine was fine also... until one day after washing the dishes, I saw that my Sub was full of fog inside.

:thumbdown:

Then after I dried it out, I wore it out in the rain to walk my dog... more fog in the crystal...