When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Super-Franken? Ultra-Franken? HYPER-Franken?

ubiquitous

What exactly do these mean? And have these terms been trademarked? :lol:

Maybe it's just me and my old school ways, but I've always known a frankenwatch to be just that... A frankenwatch. Are these labels just different 'tiers' per se, or some sort of differentiation of varying levels of build?

Did I miss the memo?

C-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-combo breaker!

Wow, that brought back memories!!! :good:

Super, Ultra, HYPER...are merely sales & marketing strategies, IMO. A Franken is just that...A FRANKEN!!! It's pretty black and white in my mind as you require a certain amount of parts to qualify a watch as such, end of story! :D

Now, there is one more variation that I believe we all would agree on...and I believe it might be trademarked...

...The Ubi-Franken!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Hyper-Frankens include a Dial Blowjob :animal_rooster:

lol

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

Any Franken built by the Master Ubi shall be referred to as "The end all, beat all InFinite Franken"

Quantum calculations and Infinite Mathmatics prove that only Ubi can bring more quality to any build......'tis immeasurable, and never ending. :pardon:

+1 :good:

Some of mine are Franken-Lite...

I call all of mine that are built with just a gen dial as Franken-Lites - if just a crown then it's just a modded rep. I feel a full Franken would have at least a gen case, crown, and dial.

But, that's just me...

So What qualifies as a franken. I hear this all the time, somebody puts a gen crown on a rep. And then calls it a franken.

My definition of a Franken-watch is a watch that is built from genuine, replica and/or aftermarket parts. A genuine dial is a requisite at minimum; a true Franken should have at least 30% or greater genuine parts content (with dial) to qualify as such.

What I find interesting is that most of the initial posts state that a franken is a franken. But then later on some defining boundaries or conditions are put on it. Isn't that the same as defining using names such as Super...Uber...Ultra :o

Continuing to play devils advocate I can't say that a dial is a requisite to be called a franken either. Suppose you had a gen case, crown, tube, bracelet with a rep dial. I would say that would qualify too. No?

:diablo:

What I find interesting is that most of the initial posts state that a franken is a franken. But then later on some defining boundaries or conditions are put on it. Isn't that the same as defining using names such as Super...Uber...Ultra :o

Continuing to play devils advocate I can't say that a dial is a requisite to be called a franken either. Suppose you had a gen case, crown, tube, bracelet with a rep dial. I would say that would qualify too. No?

:diablo:

No... I've defined what *I* consider a frankenwatch. There are qualifications for what I would consider to be an actual frankenwatch; sticking a gen spring bar in a watch's lugs does not make a rep watch a frankenwatch.

My point of 'a franken being a franken being a franken' is that as long as it meets my criteria of being a frankenwatch, it's just that to me; a 'franken' and nothing more. There is no need to build it up with fancy super duper special titles or anything as such.

A watch that someone 'built' by adding a gen crown and nothing else does not constitute a frankenwatch to me. Nor does a rep watch fitted with an aftermarket dial (differing from the original rep dial it came fitted with). Those are what I would define as modded watches...

If you have a watch that's all gen *except* for a dial, then that to me is essentially an incomplete gen.

However, these are only my personal qualifications for what a frankenwatch is defined as. What someone else might consider a franken will differ from what I consider a frankenwatch to be. Just as others will choose to use the term 'ultra' or 'extra fancy' with the term 'franken' to describe their pieces... It's nothing written in stone.