When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Kingston is in the house ...

Martyd3

Hey Marty - the watch is very handsome, no doubt. Without feeling attacked, cuz I'm not trying to crap, can you justify the cost of this piece? Seems pricey for what you get, though it does come with a bunch of kit, no? Any insights would be appreciated.

chris

Hey Marty - the watch is very handsome, no doubt. Without feeling attacked, cuz I'm not trying to crap, can you justify the cost of this piece? Seems pricey for what you get, though it does come with a bunch of kit, no? Any insights would be appreciated.

chris

Yeah, I am also wondering what the hype is about. I am not trying to bash or anything, it's a honest question. I have seen all the excitement at WUS, and have not been able to figure out what makes this watch special. Isn't it just another sub homage with an eta movement?

Again, not trying to put the watch down, just trying to figure it out.

Yes, I did get the kit and I did pay over list, but not the crazy prices you have been seeing. If someone wants to offer me $2500 for it, you can have it! I am not sure if the watch is more special or rare at this point. In my opinion, Bill Yao created all of the hype about it ... maybe by design or maybe because he is in way over his head.

First, why only make 300 of them? He knew from day one that it was going to be popular, so why not offer 500 or more of them?

Second, why not manage expectations? He gets all of this input on the Mk II forum and people go crazy. They think they actually have a stake in the designing of the watch. Like it's their baby. I realize that there is some marketing value in doing that, but I would put a stop to all of the happy horse [censored]. Bill is obviously a talented guy. Why not design the watch, built it and then offer it when it is ready (or close to ready)?

Third, why do all of these one off custom watches and put them together here? All that does is eat time and Bill can't keep up with the demand. I would offer a couple of different configurations and leave it a that. You can't call Rolex and pick your bezel color, dial color, date wheel color, lume type ... etc. It's just crazy.

Last but not least, if the watches are truly Swiss made, get the samples, QC them, make any necessary changes, approve them, have them built there and be done with it.

Marty

PS. Thanks in advance for getting me thrown off of WUS :)

I have one of these ordered as well. (I will be lucky to see it by Christmas). :rolleyes:

I agree with M3d. There is a lot of hype, but Bill is a QC freak. This watch with its ETA engine, will probably be better than most big name mfg's using ETA. (Bill will have these tuned to the point of COSC, just minus the official cert and $1000 COSC premium) This watch is in Kobold territory at 25% of the price.

Finally, THIS is the watch Rolex should be announcing at Basel as part of a "Heritage" line-up.

Since a GEN or plausible 6538 is out of the question for me as a daily wearer, this watch fills the need/gap with some serious street cred Since Rolex won't make it, someone else has to.

Ronin is right, Bill is a QC freak to the point of it being dysfunctional. The Kingston is the 4th Mk II watch that I have owned. I have never had a problem with any of them. Not a spec of dust on the dial ... nothing. I would never pre-order anything from Bill (I just don't have the patience), but the watch is great. He under priced this one. I think the $1445 pre-ordering price for the Project 300, is a much more realistic estimation as to how the Kingston should have been priced. Unless someone throws a Tudor Snowflake or 1680 Sub in my face, I don't think I will be parting with mine :)

Ronin is right, Bill is a QC freak to the point of it being dysfunctional. The Kingston is the 4th Mk II watch that I have owned. I have never had a problem with any of them. Not a spec of dust on the dial ... nothing. I would never pre-order anything from Bill (I just don't have the patience), but the watch is great. He under priced this one. I think the $1445 pre-ordering price for the Project 300, is a much more realistic estimation as to how the Kingston should have been priced. Unless someone throws a Tudor Snowflake or 1680 Sub in my face, I don't think I will be parting with mine :)

Love the big crown on that Kingston, congrats!

Love the big crown on that Kingston, congrats!