When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

RWG Downtime: RWG Attacked

Admin

Hi all

As you might have noticed, RWG has been either down or extremely unstable for the last 24 hours. The reason for this has been a DoS/DDoS attack, targeting our server.

Early morning yesterday, I noticed a rapid increase in incoming traffic targeting our server. I do of course have tools in place that will automagically handle things like this, but a lot of these things will only work up to a certain point. After a while, the traffic was so massive that the server and all services on the server was affected. After receiving almost 1,5TB of traffc in a couple of hours, I choose to nullroute all traffic hittin our IP. Mainly this was done to protect the integrity of our data and to be able to work on the server in the backgroun, as this would free up resources on the server, since rwgforum.com and it's IP seemed to be the target. After having worked on this all through the night, we are now online again, although some of you will probably have had some DNS issues and other issues to be able to access the forum. This is due to the changes that has been done to our DNS cluster and ouor DNS setup to be able to divert traffic/nullroute traffic in a more effecient way. I have just checked out stats and we have received 2.1TB of traffic in the last 16 hours. I haven't started looking at the logs and analyzing things yet, as my main priority has been to get the forum online again and things running stable. There are a bunch of temporary solutions installed, so there might be several things that doesn't work as they are supposed to, but eventually everything will work as normal ;)

A quickshot of our bandwidth stats the last couple of days. Notice anything unusual? ;)

1301307100-U1.gif

I'll get back to you with more updates later on. Gotta get a couple of hours slee now.

PS Our bandwidth bill this month will be crazy because of this, so I'll start here by reminding you all about our donation form; http://www.rwgforum.com/index.php?app=nexus&module=clients&section=donations

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great recovery as always T. When I saw that all 3 major forums were down yesterday (at least on my computer) and I add those to the huge attacks on the dealers where the forums are mentioned on the front page I begin to smell a conspiracy whether by rival dealers, the federation of Swiss watchmakers or whatever. Then again I may just be paranoid.

Most importantly, great to be back.

Thanks for taking care of us t. Why do you suppose the attack occurred? I guess it is not clear to me what is to be gained by the one attacking. Just someone wanting to cause trouble? Is there no recourse with regard to bandwidth usage billing in the case of such an attack? Doesn't really seem fair when you can't control the incoming hits like that. Kind of like getting billed for incoming text messages on your mobile :angry:

I dont know if this is a coincidence but PT was doing the same yesterday and so was RG for me anyway everything else worked fine...

If you were into conspiracies then top of the list would be its a "Swiss One" ;)

I have no idea why anybody would target us for an attack. The only thing I can tell you for sure is that it isn't any legal businesses that use these methods and I really don't see what anybody would have to gain by shutting the forums down.

Just doing some research before I catch a couple of hours of zzZZzz and as anybody who have experienced an attack like this, it is almost impossible to point any fingers and say "YOU did it" or the attack came from THERE!". If it is a simple DoS, it is easier to both divert the attack and see where it came from, since these attacks usually originate from few sources. When it comes to a distributed attack (DDoS), it is almost impossible, as th attacker usually uses infected computers, spread around the world, to attack.

@krpster

I truly agree with you on the bandwidth issue and I have of course contacted our datacenter about this. We have a fairly big setup there, so I hope they will be able to recognize that this is not something that happens to a lot and we usually stay under our contractual bandwidth allowance.

Admin please help:

I am either refused to edit my sales thread (gen. Omega Seamaster) quote "You do not have permission for this action" unquote

or, when the system recognizes me, I got a scrambled text in the preview, so that I better aborded the action.

I just wanted to drop the price.

I pressume, that this is due to your preliminary measures to get the system running again ?

I'm experiencing some issues, too. Got kicked out several times and couldn't log in again. After restarting the browser it worked again - but not for long....

Well, no problem - I'm happy RWG is up again and I'm sure the issues will be resolved soon (after admin has had a couple of hours sleep... lol).

Oh by the way - $25 donation made (through someone else though).

It looks very suspicious that the "big three" would be whacked at the same time. The only ones who would have anything to gain would be the "gen boyz" and it would not surprise me if they were at the root of it. Poor RWI was the first to come back up and about 4 out of 5 times I tried accessing a page yesterday evening I got a "server too busy" error!