When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

first time "called out"

nejad

I had an interesting moment today; I was called out by “expert” who gave me lot of solid arguments in order to prove that my Pam is fake… Bad print on a dial, bad lum, and extremely bad CB all the signs of a bad rep. his conclusion was that it’s a 50 dollar rep street rep. then I offer him to buy it off me for 100 dollars. “No way that I would give 5 dollars for it” that was his response. O well; he just walked away from once in a life time deal to buy Gen 64c for 100 dollars. All this happened in front of other people and that is the funny part. This is my first call out ever!

I don’t know about you guys but I feel way better around rep crew then around gen watch owners.

ROFL!

I got called out on my wm9 sub too. It was by my TA who wore a gen Tag Heuer GMT Carrera.

He looked at my wrist and said, "what watch is that?"

I said, "a Rolex, but it's fake" =D

So I let him take a look at it and he responded, "doesn't it supposed to have a display case back?"

And I said, "no no no, it's supposed to have a sticker on the back"/

He was like @_@ " a sticker?" lol

Edited by praetor

I had an interesting moment today; I was called out by “expert” who gave me lot of solid arguments in order to prove that my Pam is fake… Bad print on a dial, bad lum, and extremely bad CB all the signs of a bad rep. his conclusion was that it’s a 50 dollar rep street rep. then I offer him to buy it off me for 100 dollars. “No way that I would give 5 dollars for it” that was his response. O well; he just walked away from once in a life time deal to buy Gen 64c for 100 dollars. All this happened in front of other people and that is the funny part. This is my first call out ever!

I don’t know about you guys but I feel way better around rep crew then around gen watch owners.

I dont understand,you have a gen Panerai submersible? I would have destroyed that ass hole. :lol: How about a pic?:) Mike

That's a fun story. I dont know (from the story) if you somehow proved to him or at least told him that it was Genuine after he spent 5 minutes "proving" it was fake ...

Like I said in a different thread .. some people have a serious personality problem when it comes to expensive personal items .. :whistling:

I have told this story here once before, but my wife's boss is a single woman in her 50's and likes to spend her money on herself. She has some stunning designer jewelry.

She was invited to the home of the CEO of the company for dinner one night, and when she arrived, she was wearing one of her best John Hardy custom-made pieces around her neck.

When she sat down to dinner, the Big Boss' wife looked at her necklace, and said "Hm. It's amazing what they can do with fakes nowadays."

SO ... expensive personal items bring out the Mega Douche in people.

I really think a lot of "call outs" are age related. In your 20's and younger the fake is largely assumed (weather right or wrong, true or false).

Buy the time you are in your late 30's early 40's, the plausibility factor kicks in, and no one really cares.

I think if I were ever called out these days, I simply would ignore/dismiss the fscker.... By not qualifying their call-out they will feel like the ass and it will lend credibility to you and your rep.

I'm curious - was he judging you, or the watch?

To me, and probably because I am not a WIS, I think the most obvious "tells" are the bigger picture. I was sitting next to a guy at a bar a while back who was bragging up his Planet Ocean. I don't claim to be able to distinguish one from the other with a magnifying glass (and maybe not then), but I don't think people who buy expensive watches brag them up, the guy was a slob with bad teeth who apparently cuts his own hair, his clothes looked like Sears & Roebuck, and his old shoes had never seen polish. As for the watch, all I can say is I would have expected to see some lume glow in a darkened bar. To my amateur eye, my PO rep looks every bit as good.

Maybe it was a gen, but if he'd offered it to me for $100, I'd have passed. I meant to take note of his car when he left, but I missed it.

It seems to me that most people aren't going to believe you are wearing an expensive gen if you drive a Yugo and live in a trailer with your Mom; on the other hand, who'd question the watch of the guy driving the Lamborghini.

Bill

I really think a lot of "call outs" are age related. In your 20's and younger the fake is largely assumed (weather right or wrong, true or false).

Buy the time you are in your late 30's early 40's, the plausibility factor kicks in, and no one really cares.

I think if I were ever called out these days, I simply would ignore/dismiss the fscker.... By not qualifying their call-out they will feel like the ass and it will lend credibility to you and your rep.

I agree,to Ignore would be best,the problem Is I dont always act In the best manor. :D If I were to have a gen on my wrist and some A hole tried to embarrass me,I would tell him to put up or shut up. I would bet him a $1000.00 that it was Indeed the genuine article,we would go to a AD to prove me wrong. If it's a fake,then A hole Is a $1000.00 richer,If It's real,happy days. :1a: It's win win either way. Even if he refuses to except your wager,he walks away looking quite the fool,nice.:) Mike (ps) Make sure that you are 100% sure that your gen is a gen. :pardon:

I agree,to Ignore would be best,the problem Is I dont always act In the best manor. :D If I were to have a gen on my wrist and some A hole tried to embarrass me,I would tell him to put up or shut up. I would bet him a $1000.00 that it was Indeed the genuine article,we would go to a AD to prove me wrong. If it's a fake,then A hole Is a $1000.00 richer,If It's real,happy days. :1a: It's win win either way. Even if he fefuses to except your wager,he walks away looking quite the fool,nice.:) Mike (ps) Make sure that you are 100% sure that your gen is a gen. :pardon:

I'm sure I stole this from someone here, but it bears repeating. The all time best response to, "Is it real," is: "I dunno, I took it off a dead guy."

I love that!

Bill

I'm curious - was he judging you, or the watch?

To me, and probably because I am not a WIS, I think the most obvious "tells" are the bigger picture. I was sitting next to a guy at a bar a while back who was bragging up his Planet Ocean. I don't claim to be able to distinguish one from the other with a magnifying glass (and maybe not then), but I don't think people who buy expensive watches brag them up, the guy was a slob with bad teeth who apparently cuts his own hair, his clothes looked like Sears & Roebuck, and his old shoes had never seen polish. As for the watch, all I can say is I would have expected to see some lume glow in a darkened bar. To my amateur eye, my PO rep looks every bit as good.

Maybe it was a gen, but if he'd offered it to me for $100, I'd have passed. I meant to take note of his car when he left, but I missed it.

It seems to me that most people aren't going to believe you are wearing an expensive gen if you drive a Yugo and live in a trailer with your Mom; on the other hand, who'd question the watch of the guy driving the Lamborghini.

Bill

Personally I think that has something to do with a brand. I never had Rolex or Tag and all of my watches are unknown for newcomers.

Suddenly Panerai is a huge brand and even a people who don’t know what is automatic and what is quartz know about Panerai. And then when you see an older model on a NATO strap and if there is no AR on a glass it must be fake! It’s easy to play smart if you think that someone is wrong. Also when you “know” that you are untouchable just because your watch is gen and you have display back, sky is the limit! I am in a jewelry industry and I know housewife who can tell by eye celerity of the diamonds on the other hand I know dealers who cant tell if Sub is rep or not and they have to talk to the guys in a back of a shop…

Speaking of “calling out” friend had best one last summer. He was on a light with his Ferrari, guy soled in on his left side on Suzuki GSXR and told him “nice Toyota pap’s”…

Class!!!

Nuff said !!!

Edited by browngo1

we're in the process of completely renovating our kitchen...so a week ago, i went into a local flooring center...a salesman in his later twenties comes up to assist...on his wrist is this Patek Sky Moon rep...i knew the watch well - as i actually owned one in my earlier rep days...quite honestly the rep is actually a sharp watch...more of a novelty, tho...well - i didn't say anything to the sales rep...although i was tempted to ask him where he got it...that day, i was wearing my Tissot T-Touch...

patek-philippe-sky-moon-maro_177878.jpg

That is a standard story; there is one fancy coffee shop near jewelry district just two blocks from all AD; kid that works as a busboy rocks Hublo all black rep. I know a kid because we used to go there all the time, so I asked him once, did anyone said anything to him about that watch. He told me that only one time some guy told him: how do you expect to get any tips if you have better watch then a costumers…

I think you're absolutely right there :):drinks:

That is a standard story; there is one fancy coffee shop near jewelry district just two blocks from all AD; kid that works as a busboy rocks Hublo all black rep. I know a kid because we used to go there all the time, so I asked him once, did anyone said anything to him about that watch. He told me that only one time some guy told him: how do you expect to get any tips if you have better watch then a costumers…

:D

Too funny. I always wonder how people run into folks who would ever ask. It is so rude to ask anything like that.

And by the way it isn't age when it comes to plausibility - it's either you or the obnoxiousness (read as chip on the shoulder) of the one asking. :whistling: I and a number of other folks had the good fortune to afford very expensive watches at a young age and no one ever brought it up. And my kids and their friends wear expensive watches and no one has ever questioned them. Of course my kids are wearing "loaners". :lol:

Could also be a couple of things. There is envy of other people having something that they want so by calling it fake (even if it is not), it makes them feel better to have put you down. Second, it perhaps on how you carry it....people make judgement on your overall look and if that $$ watch fit the picture.

Very well said Ronin.

That's a funny story because I was out to dinner not too long ago and our (maybe 19yo) busser was wearing the absolute WORST Daytona rep I've ever seen. I told him that if he wanted to find some decent reps and information on them to check out our website. He looked mortified that I knew he was wearing a fake Rolex Daytona and I said, "Well, it's highly unlikely that someone my age (28) and in my tax bracket could afford that watch, let alone someone your age... check out some TAGs or Omegas as they'll be a little more believable." I saw the same busser there not too long ago and he was wearing a Carrera date. ;)

I've brought another on to the dark side. 8)

That's a funny story because I was out to dinner not too long ago and our (maybe 19yo) busser was wearing the absolute WORST Daytona rep I've ever seen. I told him that if he wanted to find some decent reps and information on them to check out our website. He looked mortified that I knew he was wearing a fake Rolex Daytona and I said, "Well, it's highly unlikely that someone my age (28) and in my tax bracket could afford that watch, let alone someone your age... check out some TAGs or Omegas as they'll be a little more believable." I saw the same busser there not too long ago and he was wearing a Carrera date. ;)

I've brought another on to the dark side. 8)

:thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim: