When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage NOS Seamaster 300

dbutlerman

I've started a new project and it turns out that there were several other similar builds in progress before I started. So here's my story:

I got the hankering to get a Vintage Seamaster 300, and after looking at some of the originals (1960's), I decided to see if there were any NOS parts available. After a quick look at some of our normal parts houses I noticed that all of the parts were available for a complete watch. So I ordered everything, case, dial, hands, datewheel, case screws, case clamps, etc... After ordering I received an email stating that the case was out of stock. Dang! Oh well, there are other parts houses to order from, so I placed another order. Dang! Backorder number 2. At this point I figured I'd just wait and see what happened. Maybe it will only be a week or 2. I still needed to get a donor watch for a movement, and wasn't sure how long that'd take, so I wasn't too worried about the backorder. While I was hunting for the donor with an Omega 565 movement, my first order of parts arrived:

smparts.jpg

Awesome! The lume on the dial is just as bright as my Franken PO. Which is bright! Very exciting. But back to work. I needed a movement, after perusing eBay for a week or so, I found a decent donor from Singapore:

seamastermovement1.jpg

seamastermovement2.jpg

seamastermovement3.jpg

It was a little dirty, but I planned on it going off my watchmaker and getting a thorough servicing...

Donor watch arrived fast, something like 3 days from Singapore! I love EMS shipping (I talked the shipper into upgrading the shipping at no charge! :thumbsupsmileyanim: )! I took the donor and the parts I had down to my watchmaker for the servicing...now I just had to wait for the case. I called the parts houses where the case was on back order and found out that both of the big boys (you know who they are, they rhyme with Smotto Phrei, and DousinsUk), had been out of stock for more than a month and had no ETA on when they'd be getting a shipment in. Uh Oh...I have all the parts and no case. This could be a problem!

While hunting for the case I got a call from the watchmaker. Uh Oh. Turns out that the rotor was slightly warped and was dragging on the main plate. I told him I'd start hunting down a replacement rotor. I found one and called to tell my watchmaker that I had, but in the 15 minutes it took to track down a NOS rotor, he had gone to work and straightened out the rotor..no more dragging! Whew! Disaster ($100 replacement) averted!

After some further research, I decided to call WatchCo in the Land of Oz. From their website I knew that they were at once the Omega parts supplier for Down Under and that they may have the case (even though it wasn't listed on their website). I started calling them the Thursday prior to Easter, but couldn't get anybody in their office. So I called again on Friday, nothing. Turns out the Aussies get Good Friday off. No prob. I'll call them on Monday. Dang. Anzac day! They were off again. Tuesday? Nope - everybody took a long weekend! Dang. I hate being patient! Wednesday? SUCCESS! I got through, and they have cases! AWESOME. So, I've been watching tracking, and look what arrived this morning:

seamaster3003.jpg

seamaster3002.jpg

seamaster3001.jpg

Sweet minty NOS Goodness!

My watchmaker is closed today, but tomorrow he's getting the case and the last of the small parts (case clamps and screws). Hopefully we'll have this baby together by the end of the week!

All in, I am at about $1400, which is still about $700 less than what WatchCo gets for a full watch. So, not too bad, not too bad at all!

I'll keep y'all posted when it get's wrapped up. You other guys out there build process, feel free to post your stories!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Awesome db2! Glad it is all coming together for you!

I was amazed to find out there were at least three of us doing this .....at the same time!

I was first inspired to build one of these by a thread over at RG where I met LHOOQ and saw what he had built (along with a few others). When I found out there was a VN case for sale, I decided to take the plunge.

The Viet Nam case set that came from LHOOQ

40f22360.jpg

My parts from cousins

91268ab1.jpg

And finally the donor Omega watch with cal 565

fb0e0d04.jpg

I found a watchmaker in Arizona that loves and works mostly on Omega watches, and sent the whole mess to him.

He had completed the service of the movement and assembled the watch last friday and called me to say it was rockin along great and would ship it back to me today, so I should have mine back midweek!

Can't wait to get it and I can't wait to see db2's and any others being completed!

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

ETA: The watchmaker told me he was really impressed when I told him the parts came from the Philippines, Israel, UK and America!

This bracelet is from my Speedmaster, I have a NOS on backorder right now. I was just going to buy a clasp for the Speedmaster to turn it into a Seamaster, but It was only like a $100 more to get a NOS bracelet, and then I still have a spare for the Speedmaster...

As DB2 and I were in discussion about our ongoing Seamaster 300 builds I'll just chime in and give you some pics of my project:

The movement is a cal. 565 not sourced from the usual suspects but from a a real Seamaster 300 sold in 1969 in France according to Omega's vintage watch archive in Biel (Switzerland), which conveniently is just one and a half ours from where I spend 65% of my time (the rest is Westcoast US). So this is not a Franken using genuine spare parts, it is a full genuine Seamaster 300 which will be serviceable at Omega at any time as the movement number belongs to a Seamaster 300. It basically is a full restoration of a destroyed Seamaster 300.

The movement got a full overhaul including replacement of some parts. I do all work on my watches myself if time allows. Between school and university I spent four years with watchmaking training and working as a watchmaker for a company producing movement plates for some of the big names in watchmaking. First was of course careful disassembly, cleaning and inspection of all parts (date mechanism and balance already reassembled):

wl8uh1.jpg

After careful inspection I decided that pallet, escape wheel, friction spring, seconds wheel, the Incabloc jewels and springs, click spring (not pictured) and the main spring needed replacement:

p8180.jpg

ojnn07.jpg

After spending in total about 335 USD on genuine Omega movement spare parts and assembly with new dial and hands (both Superluminova) it looked like this:

2006j4.jpg

2rw9is0.jpg

Together with it's newer genuine brother Planet Ocean:

4ue3jt.jpg

And with the rest of the parts waiting for final assembly:

25kokrp.jpg

The case is the only missing part. According to EMS tracking it should be here within the next few days :)

In total I spent about 1700 USD so far, not including my work and not including the movement. In total it will come out somewhere around $2k, but it will be a perfectly restored genuine Seamaster 300 with movement number and Omega archive extract dating it to 1969 :)

Nice Nice Nice, reading all the vintage 300 projects with great enthusiasm. Hopefully I will be able to start a project after some time! Great work guys :)

Hey DB2!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah so this is what you what you have up your sleeve (Mondays wristie thread) ;)

Cant wait to see the final result. Gathering parts is so much fun...........expensive, but fun and worth it! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Awesome, guys! I guess it's time to start one of these...

i-zX632wG-L.jpg

Count me in!

And I need to say here and now, without all the help, time, and emails I would have never been able to muddle through this by myself Martin!

Thanks again!

Hey DB2!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah so this is what you what you have up your sleeve (Mondays wristie thread) ;)

Cant wait to see the final result. Gathering parts is so much fun...........expensive, but fun and worth it! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

You got it! Hopefully I'll be able to give a full wristy soon!

Thanks woof! It took me a little while to get it wearing comfortably. It was a combination of removing links and moving the quick adjust pins in and out until it was there, but now it wears really nice. And is keeping really good time. +~2 seconds/day. Not bad at all! I am keeping a log so we'll see if there is any fluctuation! Any word on yours? Hopefully it'll arrive today!

Thanks woof! It took me a little while to get it wearing comfortably. It was a combination of removing links and moving the quick adjust pins in and out until it was there, but now it wears really nice. And is keeping really good time. +~2 seconds/day. Not bad at all! I am keeping a log so we'll see if there is any fluctuation! Any word on yours? Hopefully it'll arrive today!

I just got it..like an hour ago!

I'm still hunting the gen 1171. I may go Nato or mesh for awhile.

:thumbsupsmileyanim: