When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Daytona 6239: The Jubilee Option

lhooq

i-nQFfVbW-X3.jpg

I never know when to continue an old thread (in this case, my 6239 FAP/V72 project) or to start a new one. On the one hand, it's nice to have everything available in one place. The downside is that the longer a thread gets, the more likely it is to be ignored by members who haven't viewed it yet. (I assert all this without proof.) Anyhow, I think there's enough new content here to warrant a new thread. I mean, I did buy a new bracelet, right?

As far as I know, no one has paired a vintage Daytona rep with a 19mm Jubilee. Why is that? To be honest, I'd never really cottoned onto Jubilee bracelets, and used to find them a little bit showy. Then again, I used to think the same about mesh bracelets on divers... I've always preferred the basic Oyster or a strap, and it wasn't until earlier this year that I slapped a cheap Jubilee rep onto one of my older 1016 builds. Suddenly, it became a lot more interesting! What made the combination work, I thought, was the way the polished midlinks matched the polished bezel of the Explorer.

Similarly, the mirror-polished 6265 bezel matches very well with the 62510H shown below, nudging the Daytona from 'Sport' to 'Dress'. I don't think a black plastic insert would look as good, and I'm too lazy to swap bracelets and find out right now. The black subdials and tachymeter markings still keep the Daytona from being a credible dress chronograph. (Or in other words, I still want a good 6238 rep.) But it's an intriguing look, a nice alternative to have, and a very comfortable bracelet. My only regret is that it's a much more modern bracelet than the 6239--1993 based on the clasp. A rolled-link 6251 would be better, but they can be hard to find, and expensive, too.

The bracelet was in decent shape (stretch-wise) when I got it, but the surface had become uniformly dull. I had my watchsmith work his magic on the links; he rebrushed and repolished while I waited. Not bad for a half-hour's work! Note that the endlink fit is good, but far from ideal. "574 B" is not an updated version of the Daytona-specific "74" endlink, which I would've known if I did my homework...

Heigh-ho, onto the pictures!

i-bN75Tr5-X3.jpg

i-QbG7xpz-X3.jpg

i-2DLmF8w-X3.jpg

i-bhjSjSk-X3.jpg

i-Gjdz4Hf-X3.jpg

i-2JZD4Pk-X3.jpg

I really like how it looks, and you know how much I am one for custom, but, I can't shake the feeling that the jubilee bracelet would better suit a Tudor chronograph than the Peruvian... Not sure why (because it really looks awesome :thumbsupsmileyanim: ) just a hunch :):drinks:

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

TeeJay: Unfortunately, I haven't got a 20mm Jubilee to try out on my 7032. I'm still waiting for one to come along at a decent, non-extortionate price. (Good luck to me on that.)

mrboombasteke/rek001: I thought I was bidding on Daytona-correct endlinks, but that "B" suffix makes all the difference, since 574Bs are endlinks for Air-Kings. The upside is that the fit is pretty good, and the endlinks don't shift around on the springbar like others do. Still wish I had 574s, though...

woof*: I knew I forgot something!

i-Sn9wBzp-X3.jpgi-6d87SV9-X3.jpg

I love how FAP is a pun for FAP :bangin:

You just had to go there. :yeah:

Hike: J told me that you'd gone with a Jubilee a while back, but I guess I'd missed it. That looks fantastic! The Jub is just about perfect with the tricolor Newman. :v:

Thanks, M! Also got one installed on a Coke GMT!:thumbsupsmileyanim:

Geeze, F, great minds must think alike! :(:thumbsupsmileyanim: I don't have it anymore and sorta miss it... :(

wrist%201.JPG

:thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim: Thanks to you, Buddy.....you turned me on..........................................

On JUB I mean!:rofl:

Here's mine .....and I still have it:

gmtonjub.jpg

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

TeeJay: Unfortunately, I haven't got a 20mm Jubilee to try out on my 7032. I'm still waiting for one to come along at a decent, non-extortionate price. (Good luck to me on that.)

M, I wasn't thinking of the 7032, but the Tudor chronographs with the 12/9/6 sub-dials like JMB has, I believe some are called Tiger Chronographs (?) That was what I had in mind :)

Geeze, F, great minds must think alike! :(:thumbsupsmileyanim: I don't have it anymore and sorta miss it... :(

wrist 1.JPG

:thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim: Thanks to you, Buddy.....you turned me on..........................................

On JUB I mean!:rofl:

Here's mine .....and I still have it:

gmtonjub.jpg

Damn, that looks good, amigos :good::drinks: I need to get one of those with that strap combo for my collection, I'm starting to miss the coke GMT I wore in Tokyo :wounded1:

DSCN1204.jpg

(still got the bracelet it was on though, and that'll be going on my 16800 project :victory: )