When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Family Photo...

ubiquitous

Ubi, just waouh! Tell us more about the day-date and, most of all, do not change this dial! I saw you had a couple more but this one is just so...breathtaking!!! :victory:

A-

I wrote some background regarding the steel DD in another recent thread; hope you don't mind if I just reprint it here...

The stainless steel Day-Date was built using a caliber 1556, gen dial, hands, crown/tube, bezel, DJ case, crystal, 78360, etc.

Many people think that these don't exist in gen form, but there are in fact a small handfull out there. Supposedly, these were gifted to the top students finishing Rolex's watchmaker's program. The cases are without reference and serial and there are variations out there using 1555, 1556 and 3055 caliber movements. The other speculation is that these steel cases were for in-house testing and as such were never intended for public consumption. Whatever the truth, the few that have turned up for sale have traded hands for ridiculous amounts of money. If you query 'Steel Day-Date' at some of the usual gen forums, you'll find that these have been discussed from time to time :)

A few more pics...

IMG_1465.jpg

IMG_1866.jpg

IMG_2838.jpg

And I've got the parts to do another... Just waiting on new day and date discs along with a couple of other small parts...

IMG_2862.jpg

IMG_3224.jpg

IMG_3231.jpg

IMG_3246.jpg

IMG_3254.jpg

^_^

It's a fun piece and quite subtle; most people probably just think it to be a very non-descript steel watch at first glance. However, it does have a very intriguing presence once given a closer look. The profile of the crystal rising above the bezel gives it a fair amount of presence. And the dial has a most interesting texture to it.

I have to keep it going every day as setting the day and date is quite the endeavor :)