When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What does your avatar & nickname mean, and why?

importr

After a number of years on various fora, I've often wondered about why people choose

some unique avatars which caught my attention and gave a moments thought to.

Here, I appreciate the .gifs of scantily clad women, cars, watch movements etc.,

but what about the more abstract ones? Here's your chance to explain yourself!!

Then there's the names: I find the the majority are coded or just bizarre!

I won't even try to guess what they mean. But they all have significance, don't they?

Shall I start?

I chose the sonic boom photo of an F-18, purely because

a. it looks kinda cool

b. i'm interested by aviation

c. aviator inspired watches is what first got me into this hobby

my other profile avatar is of a Mickey Mouse watch, which I thought was a humourous

view on peoples' perception of rep watches. It also happens to be the first watch I owned

at the age of 4 or 5! A genuine Disney watch! :D

My nick "Importr" should actually be Import-R, a reference to Import Racing, I was once quite

involved in the Import car club scene: JDM cars. I had them in various states of street & track

tune. Impreza, Evo, MR2, Integra-R, Civic-R etc etc. The usual rice rockets that are so popular here in the UK.

My name Importr was wrongly misinterpreted by the infamous Klink (back in the day) as a back-door

rep dealer. He accused me (without evidence) of dealing by PM, and even took to sabotaging my Sig, PMs

and even my posts!

So, whats your story? I'd be interested to learn!

Marinamm20 is my nick due to the first watch i bought years back from ken trading was a RXW Marina Militare MM20 and this kickstarted my passion for watches.

Both my profile pictures is of my Porsche 356 Speedster Replica that i build back in 2008, this have been my dream car since i saw it first time in 48 hours, the again in topgun and Doc Hollywood.

My avatar is a pic of the King Abdullah I Mosque, in Amman, Jordan. I've never been there, but I really liked a pic of it I saw, so decided to use it as my avatar :) There's a lot more to me than just my faith, but that is one of the most defining things. My nick is a phonetic spelling of my first and middle initials: Timothy James. When I first signed up on RWG, I wanted to simply put 'TJ' as a nick, but it wouldn't let me, so I expanded it slightly, and kept it for use in all things watch-related :) It's not a nickname I'm ever known by in real life, and no-one has ever addressed me thus :D Another nick I use on a tattoo forum, is 'Kitchen Wizard'. This is an insult/slur applied to tattoo artists who do not have the luxury of working in a professional studio. Sounds a bit better than 'Scratcher', so I decided to 'take it back', as I know that home artists are just as capable of learning and doing good work (in hygenic, sanitary conditions) as artists working in a studio. I've seen some shocking artwork come out of registered studios, so I really do believe that it is all down to the artist and their attitude towards cleanliness, not their location. I don't have an avatar on that forum, but I do rather like this pic I took for a wristie the other day :)

DSCN4100.jpg

Normally, I would have my glove over my watch, as well as the machine and clip cord bagged, but of course, that would've rather defeated the object of the photo ;)

I'm looking forward to some interesting stories :drinks:

Actually, at first i regretted mine here. A bit like calling oneself "mensabrains" or "betterthanyou" I know my nick doesn't make a good first impression.

When I stumbled across this forum trying to ID a swiss gen in the collection i didn't realise there was a rep scene. I didn't even know that RWG was a place for reps. Anyway, thought I'd be in and out... So i grabbed the closest nick handy - mastrmindalliance. It's an old console hacking nick. A nick from scene very different to this one.

If i could do it over again i'd probably go with "Jetpants".

A loooong time before here i stole the term from an aussie hip hopper - Mass MC. He brought out an album called Mastermind Alliance. here's a track. It's very tongue in cheek and funny in an aussie way:

The avatar is just a funny pic to me. I love Futurama.

On a side note, I've always thought it would be a fun thread game to try to guess the derivation/meaning of others nickames.

Wow! Very interesting indeed!

@mm20: I remember seeing the Speedster in another thread and thinking how beautiful it is.

To build that takes time & dedication. My hat goes off to you.

@TJ: You're right, the mosque pic is very good too! Has some good geometric patterns which are probably familiar to your tattooing. Its a very misunderstood artform. I like the sig banner artwork ;)

@mmalliance: You do come across as a total d1ck.

No seriously, its good that you held your hands up to reason and didn't ask admin to change your name. I didn't check the link yet, but you do seem like a genuine and witty chap!

:D bonzer!

praetor sounds cool, it's also means a Roman General from a video game I used to play. My avatar is a baneling doll from Starcraft 2, a self exploding bug that happens to look cute when stuffed hahaa, a nice contrast.

Well I wish I could say mine was as deep and interesting as the rest of yours, however it just is not the case. Mine stems back from when I first tried to register on fleabay years ago and everything I could think of that I liked and had some meaning for me was taken. So I floundered and came up with a modification to my last name like in that old "makin' copies" SNL sketch. (lame example below since actual sketch not avail). Sometimes I wish I could go back and change my username as now I am sure I could come up with better but it is what it is. So now I almost automatically use this since when I try other they are always gone.

As for my avatar I really liked the Matrix trilogy and thought the concept of reality being just a matter of perception and knowledge was appropriate for a replica watch forum. So at first I had this as an avatar.

matrixkrpster.gif

But then I saw another member had used the same avatar generator to achieve the same look so I then changed it to what I have now. While Morpheus is my favorite character from the movies I could not find any good gifs. So this one I really liked and was a good second.

Great stories behind the nics, love to read this post :)

I remember finding this forum when i was about to travel to Thailand for the first time. I thought that i was able to pick up a nice watch in Thailand and wanted to know what to expect. I googled "replica watch" and found myself on dealer sites where i could get a gen Swiss 78 jewels Rolex for 700€ etc etc. I also found this forum and thought it would be a good idea to join. I had no idea what to expect, and as other here before me i just choosed a nic fast with no intention on actually be a longterm member. I was wrong ;) Slask is the folder on your computer where you put your unsorted stuff.. like "misc". 111... well that was really easy to type. So then Slask111 was born. Now i use it on all watch related sites, but nowhere else. I have alot of nics.. but i use Slask the most nowadays.

Then the avatar.. well i wanted my nick to get noticed so why not use an avatar with my nick in it.. and the background of the avatar is my country flag. Some heavy photoshoping went into that one ;)

Edited by slask111

My avatar has changed over the years.. although many of you might not remember. My first avatar was of my Breitling Steelfish... Placed over a rubix cube. It then changed to my (then) favorite PAM253 V2... Once I got a blacksteel, I knew I had to put it up.. It was quickly my favorite watch.. but has lost its place to my DSSD or my UPO... I don't change my avatar, cuz it's been up for a while and I'm used to it now.

As for my username.. once upon a time, I actually had time to play music. I've always been involved with music.. first with the viola when i was 8.. then the alto saxophone till I was 18. Around the age of 15 I heard Jimi Hendrix for the first time and he changed my life. I started to play the guitar, and as a Jimi fan the only guitar adequate for my needs was a Fender Stratocaster. Back then I was on a guitar forum.. and wanted the name PLayFender.. but it was taken.. so i settled for PLaiFender.. Most people actually assume it's pronounce PLY Fender.. but it's not.. I wanted it to sound like PLAY Fender guitars.. but my 15 year old mind back then in the 90's couldn't think of an alternative.. In hindsight i could have chosen PlayFenderstrat or PlaySTrat or playafender... but now it's grown on me.

I ended up selling my beloved Fender stratocaster about 4 years ago.. and only have an Ibanez s470 electric now.. but I will get another fender at some point in my future!

Brilliant stories, Keep them coming! Its good to know where peoples' other passions lie. :)

This gives a short insight into our lives in this single themed community...

Now, Chief (if you're around) - I half know the story of the US soldier killed by friendly fire. (am I correct?)

With respect, would you mind sharing?

and HikeUSA, Ronin etc. - come on.....where do you get these awesome pics?? lol

Mine came from being a sponsored athlete in college. I played on our University's racquetball team and Ektelon sponsored a few of the players including myself. I know it is not the most brilliant nic (like calling yourself Nike or Maytag) but I am stuck with it. I don't have an avatar because I am not sure how to do it.

Great stories...........

E

I used to own a sound company called RED Sonics. RED actually stood for something: "Rapid Electron Deployment". I had developed some high end audiophile instrument cables for a few session guitar players and they always commented on how "fast" the cables sounded. The transient response was "intense", they said. I thought about it for a while, and somehow the name RED Sonics came to mind. I thought some more and thought it would be cool if it actually meant something so that's what I came up with. I designed the logo as well which was a little more involved than my avatar. When I joined, I tried to get just RED, but it was taken (by what came to be a scammer here on the forum) so I came up with redwatch.

REDCLogo-1.jpg

Ghost is the name of Jon Snow's dog in George R R Martin's novels - a song of ice and fire. (Back in the day, before Game of thrones was made into a tv series). The dog was ostracized from the pack cox of its colour, much like Jon was the illegitimate child among the Stark children. Much like how i felt at the time. Alone and transparent =) haha. Sob story