When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Po Rep. Was Mistaken For The Real Deal.

niller

Hi guys,

I went to at watch shop the other day to look at an Gen Ole Mathiesen watch for my girlfriend ( She can´t find at rep. watch she likes, beats me... :unsure: )

The salesman , obviously caught a glimpse of my PO ( from Joshua, thanks man for a very nice piece). As i turned to him, he called " just a secon Mr. Planet Ocean" ( a little to boldly for my taste, but what the hell. ) As we then talked about the watch for my girlfriend, he kept bringing my PO up, " as he called it : a very nice piece" and was genuinly impressed with me... he he :D

Well just goes to show the quality of the replicas out there, if the sellers out there can´t tell the difference. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

/Niller

Hi guys,

I went to at watch shop the other day to look at an Gen Ole Mathiesen watch for my girlfriend ( She can´t find at rep. watch she likes, beats me... :unsure: )

The salesman , obviously caught a glimpse of my PO ( from Joshua, thanks man for a very nice piece). As i turned to him, he called " just a secon Mr. Planet Ocean" ( a little to boldly for my taste, but what the hell. ) As we then talked about the watch for my girlfriend, he kept bringing my PO up, " as he called it : a very nice piece" and was genuinly impressed with me... he he :D

Well just goes to show the quality of the replicas out there, if the sellers out there can´t tell the difference. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

/Niller

Congrats!!!

Not to pee in your Cheerios but, most sales people are pretty woefully inexperienced in picking up a rep from a genuine on first glance. Also, I would imagine they are told in their sales training, "You are going to see people come in here with fake watches. Don't embarass them by calling them out in front of their significant others". The real test is when you hand it over to a jeweler, the person who runs the store and buys the stock. Rolex requires training for their sellers that includes practical examinations where they have to pick out the genuines from the fakes that are laid out on a table in front of them. My jeweler was able to pick out my 99% Submariner not visually, but by feel when I handed it over. She had a much harder time however with the Tag Link Chrono though.

Sorry, I'm not trying to bring you down. Putting one over on a salesperson is a thrill alright but you might want to consider what they have at stake in telling you you are full of [censored]. Loss of potential sale....

I just spent two weeks with my brother and his gen 45mm PO. I assure you that anyone worth their salt can spot a replica from a mile away.

135089-18356.jpg

did you tell him that HE must be a fake cause he had a ridiculous lack of knowledge?? :)

Well, that just made me spit on my monitor :lol::lol::lol:

I just spent two weeks with my brother and his gen 45mm PO. I assure you that anyone worth their salt can spot a replica from a mile away.

The 45mm is easy. The datewindow totally ruins it.

The 42mm is not that easy I guess.

Visited a high end store tuesday. Was wearing my cartier santos (rep) at the time, and I can't belive how accurate that is. Except from the "swiss made" spacing on the dial, I had problems finding anything. The band, that has been a topic on several ocations is really not that bad compared to the real deal. (Maybe if I could touch ond feel the real one, but by looks not that bad at all!)

They also had the new smp chrono :wub: and all four PO versions. I have to say, the 42mm black PO isn't all that impressive, laying next to the orange. I have always wanted the black one, now I think the orange looks better, but the SMP Chrono is really stunning!

They had lots of IWC's and Breitlings too. Really nice store! Have never seen the IWC's in person before. Expensive!!!

135122-18349.jpg

Hey, if that's the gen, then I'm quite surprised to see that there is a gap, a small gap, between the SEL's and the bracelet - just like my rep! Looks like the rep manufacturers did it on purpose!!! :bangin:

Absolutely true that's why i'm thinking to buy a new ar coated crystal (and a genuine dial if i could find at reasonable price).

How much would a new ar coated crystal cost do you think? Would it not be less expensive to take it to an optician and let them ar coat it?

How much would a new ar coated crystal cost do you think? Would it not be less expensive to take it to an optician and let them ar coat it?

retep take a look here :) :

http://www.krysworks-store.com/

Prices, for other brands, seem to be around 60-80$.

I think it's more convenient get a new ar coated crystal but I have no idea about the result.... will it be at the same quality level of a genuine Omega crystal?

I'm afraid it's unlikely, the ar coating of genuine Po is one of the most stunning ar coating i have ever seen.

I don't know why people think fooling AD salespeople has any merit.

As stated above, most don't know enough to differentiate. Those that do are usually tactful and won't risk saying anything disparaging. Why risk losing a sale by calling a potential client out on a rep?

I think the "fooling" aspect might be fun to some in the beginning, but it wears off quickly.

Sorry, but I don't think it's very nice to go and brag about our reps to ADs and watchsmiths. It's almost like posting pics of reps to genuine watch forums.

What there is to accomplish? I've always said it's much better for this community to stay as much "underground" as possible. The more attention the high-end reps get (among the official salespeople), the more it will jeopardize our hobby... at least in the long run.

Maybe it's just me... but I don't understand why people do this.

The AR is the biggest tell. The gen dial looks so black because of it, and the hint of blue coating is quite noticeable.

they had gen 42 and 45 mm PO on my cruise

the AR is AMAZING. in fact, i never liked the watch - i had tried it on - didn't know it came in 2 sizes - cause i was never really into it. After i saw the sizes on the board - decided to take another look.

the 45mm is a really nice watch - and as i said above the AR is amazing, you have to do an indiana jones and throw sand on the thing to even see the crystal

my bro in law wanted to get a decent watch - he was going to get like a citizen - i said, for the same bucks - lets get you a nice rep. I picked out omega for him cause he could pull it off - from an affordability - and - i told him - if i give you a sub - everyone is going to ask - is that fake?

with this no one will ask - unless they are watch people. I mean who even knows what an orange po let alone that there are rampant fakes running around :)

Sorry, but I don't think it's very nice to go and brag about our reps to ADs and watchsmiths. It's almost like posting pics of reps to genuine watch forums.

What there is to accomplish? I've always said it's much better for this community to stay as much "underground" as possible. The more attention the high-end reps get (among the official salespeople), the more it will jeopardize our hobby... at least in the long run.

Maybe it's just me... but I don't understand why people do this.

Good one mate, couldn't have said it better.

cheers,

babola

I don't know why people think fooling AD salespeople has any merit.

As stated above, most don't know enough to differentiate. Those that do are usually tactful and won't risk saying anything disparaging. Why risk losing a sale by calling a potential client out on a rep?

I think the "fooling" aspect might be fun to some in the beginning, but it wears off quickly.

I agree completely. The number of posts of this nature indicates there are a lot of people who seem to think that it's some kind of incredible accomplishment to not get called out. You SHOULDN'T be called out. If you pay $200-300 for a rep and it can't pass a casual look-over 90% of the time then that's a pretty lousy replica. Also, most people simply aren't on guard regarding fake watches other than Rolexes. Factor in also that people, especially salespeople, have nothing to gain by antagonizing a stranger. If you are not wearing something like a gaudy TT Daytona, chances are 1) people can't detect your fake 2) never even try and 3) wouldn't throw it in your face even if they could.

Also, I know this isn't a popular viewpoint on this board but I have to say it anyway. Being a rep collector or a WIS doesn't mean jack, good or bad. It doesn't make you handsomer, classier, smarter, or more worthy of respect than anyone else. It's just something you're into, like fantasy sports or stamp collecting. I don't know why it gives people such a superiority complex. Specifically, a lot of members talk like every luxury watch salesperson has to be a walking reference book on every watch of every make ever made, or else they are utterly beneath contempt. I'm not directing this at anyone in particular, we've all seen dozens of posts disparaging "stupid" salespeople.

Let it rest, they're just people doing a job. Why should they be expected to possess more knowledge than the job requires? A lot of them care and know a lot, a lot of them are in it just for the paycheck. Some of them are obnoxious jerks, but most of them just want to make a few bucks with minimum drama, go home and watch TV and drink a beer. That's true in every walk of life and every profession and if you weren't a WIS you'd think nothing of it. No doubt those people care about something and know more about it than you do, would you want them to think that makes you a joke? It reminds me of Star Trek geeks who belittle the actors who were actually in the movies because they don't know as much about Star Trek esoterica as they do. Yeah, that is a LOT cooler.

Be happy you have a hobby you like, let it go at that. Being into reps or knowing about watches doesn't give you the right to disrespect anybody for the mere sin of being unexceptional at what they do.

Edited by kanerich

When I was an optician years ago, we had a machine that coated the lenses with the AR coat, after they had been milled to the right prescription. I wonder if you could just pay the local LensCrafters to put AR on your crystal...

That is what some members do so it`s possible.

I agree completely. The number of posts of this nature indicates there are a lot of people who seem to think that it's some kind of incredible accomplishment to not get called out. You SHOULDN'T be called out. If you pay $200-300 for a rep and it can't pass a casual look-over 90% of the time then that's a pretty lousy replica. Also, most people simply aren't on guard regarding fake watches other than Rolexes. Factor in also that people, especially salespeople, have nothing to gain by antagonizing a stranger. If you are not wearing something like a gaudy TT Daytona, chances are 1) people can't detect your fake 2) never even try and 3) wouldn't throw it in your face even if they could.

Also, I know this isn't a popular viewpoint on this board but I have to say it anyway. Being a rep collector or a WIS doesn't mean jack, good or bad. It doesn't make you handsomer, classier, smarter, or more worthy of respect than anyone else. It's just something you're into, like fantasy sports or stamp collecting. I don't know why it gives people such a superiority complex. Specifically, a lot of members talk like every luxury watch salesperson has to be a walking reference book on every watch of every make ever made, or else they are utterly beneath contempt. I'm not directing this at anyone in particular, we've all seen dozens of posts disparaging "stupid" salespeople.

Let it rest, they're just people doing a job. Why should they be expected to possess more knowledge than the job requires? A lot of them care and know a lot, a lot of them are in it just for the paycheck. Some of them are obnoxious jerks, but most of them just want to make a few bucks with minimum drama, go home and watch TV and drink a beer. That's true in every walk of life and every profession and if you weren't a WIS you'd think nothing of it. No doubt those people care about something and know more about it than you do, would you want them to think that makes you a joke? It reminds me of Star Trek geeks who belittle the actors who were actually in the movies because they don't know as much about Star Trek esoterica as they do. Yeah, that is a LOT cooler.

Be happy you have a hobby you like, let it go at that. Being into reps or knowing about watches doesn't give you the right to disrespect anybody for the mere sin of being unexceptional at what they do.

I agree that posting about how stupid a salesperson is and how your replica "put one over" is contrary to what we believe in here but I think the original poster was just sort of reveling in the joy of how good his replica is, not what a dope the guy was for calling him "Mr Planet Ocean." Someone posted that the thrill of walking into an AD with a rep and walking out unscathed wears off pretty quickly and I have to agree, but it is thrilling and re-enforcing that we have spent money well when it happens. The discussion that I had with my jeweler about the replica Tag was one that was sparked by enormous pride. I was not jerking them around nor was I saying "lookie what I have here". It was a sober discussion about the state of the art in both replica manufacturing and high end genuine pricing. I showed them my replica because I am so satisfied with it.

As for cluing them in on our little secret hobby, I think what we do is still soooooo small. The huge majority of the replica watch business is cheap canal street reps of submariners. When I hear that my Tag Chrono or Breitling GT were produced in a couple of runs of 1000-1500 watches, I feel pretty safe the replica police aren''t coming for me first.