When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1680 red submariner

irolexu

I have no expertise in the vintage area but am really wanting a 1680 sub and do not know really where to start. I would like to get one that's 1:1 so i can put gen parts on it. Any advice would be great especially recommendations on whome to get my 1680 from to begin with wantin to have it really aged and a lot of wear and tear shown on it so looking forward to the great advice!

It all depends on what you want to spend!

Budget base would be PT's 1680.

Medium priced base is still the MBK/MBW 1680 Narikaa can source.

Premium price base would be Yuki/NT 1680 case.

I think they all are a good starting base for a real nice almost 1:1 1680.

Advantage the MBW 1680 has is that it already has a decent dial and hands alltough they need a relume.

It all depends on what you want to spend!

Budget base would be PT's 1680.

Medium priced base is still the MBK/MBW 1680 Narikaa can source.

Premium price base would be Yuki/NT 1680 case.

I think they all are a good starting base for a real nice almost 1:1 1680.

Advantage the MBW 1680 has is that it already has a decent dial and hands alltough they need a relume.

if your going with the MBK youre going to be replacing a lot if you buy the complete watch, movement, dial, and bracelet, just buy the case set. as someone whose bought and sold a lot of mbk watches and parts i can say the movements (even though most are gen) need over hauling, and the date needs realigning, not to mention its a 28.8k so if youre going for 1:1 you really only want the case if you plan on bringing it further than out of the box and intend to mod it, so save the money and put the saved cash towards upgraded parts.

if you want out of the box piece you can wear for $200 buy the pt but IMO it is flawed in stock condition, if you plan on modding it choose a different watch

yuki quality is inconsistent and would really only consider it if youre going with a gen movement

I wouldnt buy a PT1680 if you are wanting to add gen parts. Its a budget watch to begin with. Thats like buying a $400 car and putting $8000 wheels on it and a $4000 stereo. If you want to build any kind of franken watch it should be MBW or better. You can take a PT1680 and turn it into a nice daily beater don get me wrong... I guess it depends how far you are planning to go. If you want to do more than just a gen crown and tube, then you may as well start with a good case set.

LOL, The one thing ByTor taught me was just how bad the MBW red sub dial really was. The MBW white dial is fine, but to the trained eye, the red dial is terrrible. Add to that the fact the MBW case is really a 5513 case and won't take a decent gen or aftermarket 1680 dial w/o serious mods, building a decent red sub w/ an MBW case becomes a challenge.

MBW sub dial- 26.2mm

Gen/good aftermarket 1680 dial- 26.5mm

MBW case takes the 26.2mm dial but not the 26.5mm dial

Do you shave a decent dial down .3mm or enlarge the case to take a 26.5mm dial?

And I love the old original MBW 1680 SN- L341,xxx. Granted the 5513 was produced until the L serial #, circa 1989 or so, but the 1680 sub was only built til c.1980 and 6 mill SN.

So, if you're going to buy an MBW 1680 sub, better get a white dial! And you'll still spend $300-400 modding it, but at that point you'll have a very nice rep.

the old style MBW 5513 case fits the mbw 1680 dial nicely :):good:

4910247236_4a918b172a_z.jpg

there are only two dials that mbk seems to make nicely enough to use, even when being pretty picky:

1680 white

and the 1665 white.

4851561082_04be8b3e9d_z.jpg

you gotta factor in the yuki case is also about $350 MORE than an mbw case set AND you have to buy an additional eta ring for $40 if youre not going to be using a gen movement.

as i see it the BIGGEST problem with making vintage pieces is getting a correct bracelet. im thinking it becomes a combination of the noobmariner bracelet, a modded MBW 93150 and a gen clasp, with either gen 580s or modded PTs (compress them) or WSOs

MBW 93150 with modded connecting end link

6187090775_632437789b.jpg

Sounds great guys I need a good slate to start on so you guys agree that a white sub is best to start off with? Does that sub have the really large date window? Also what should I expect to pay for a good slate white submariner!! :) great info guys really learning a lot here on which approach I need to take

Sounds great guys I need a good slate to start on so you guys agree that a white sub is best to start off with? Does that sub have the really large date window? Also what should I expect to pay for a good slate white submariner!! :) great info guys really learning a lot here on which approach I need to take

depends what you want in it.

MBW case $190

ingod dial or mbk dial $140 / $80 respectively

clarks top hat $30

2846 + servicing $230

datewheel $10-$30

insert: service gen or pmwf+ofrei pearl $90-$150

gen crown $30-$70

WSO tube $25

hands $30

2mm bars $6

bracelet??? they all suck, you need to make a hybrid to get it right.

assembly costs ????

dont expect it to be cheap or easy, given the above ingredients it would make a truly magnificent watch but you could still spend more $$ and take it a lot further

You think for 1300 dollars I can make a really nice 1680?

thats about what ive sunk into a glossy 5513 franken. only thing that is not gen is the case (MBW) and 1/3 of the bracelet, movement is ETA

1680 costs slightly more if youre mixing in gen parts + you got the messy date alignment, i also did all the work myself so there was no paying anyone else to mod my case

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I emailed narikka/reg last night and he said to me he doesn't deal with parts but he can source mbk red 1680 subs. Think this is the route I ay take :)

@highoeyazmuhudee: could you please tell me a bit about the modded link. Can't send you a PN.

Thanks

you can get whatever you like from MBK, its up to the dealer selling it to you if they want to sell you a whole watch or just a part, one is obviously more worth their time since it can command a higher margin of return.

@1680 you mean on the bracelet?

Alligoat posts that the MBW case is realy a 5513 case.

I want to put a nice 5513 together, I like the no date Subs.

SO the MBK would make a good base for a 5513 with a dial swap?

Yes, MBW 5513 case set, Ingod 5513 dial and a gen T19 crystal. I have these parts right now and getting ready for my build.

Mine will be a 5512 though. All I need is a good 2846 movement.