When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What is the point of reps?

vikkyrob

I have been a member on RWG for almost four years and have loved it. I have bought about 300 reps and in the same time had about 50 gens.

BUT

What is the point of reps? (I have been having this debate with myself and a good friend for a few weeks)

Statement

99% of people have no idea who Patek Philippe are. The 1% who do, 50% could tell even the best rep is a fake and probably belong to a rep forum or work for PP and the other 50% might think you have a nice watch.

Questions

1. Are we buying reps because we like gazing at them?

2. Are we trying to fool people into thnking we have enough money to buy a gen?

3. Do we have issues commiting to one watch and this is the best way to own numerous nice watches?

4. Is it the excitement of modding reps?

5. Why are we modding reps? Is it to fool that 1/2% of people who might call us out?

6. All of the above?

I know this is a little rambling but I would like your views. I have always fancied a Patek Phillippe and can't afford the gen. I think the new V2 Nautilus looks very good but I don't really like the sunburst blue. I know that as long as I don't take it off my wrist then the blue is unlikely to be called out. I really like the black dial but it is a fantasy watch (gen Nautilus with black dial was in white gold and limited to 100 pieces). Which do I go for? (if anyone has one they want to sell in the EU please email me!)

Let me know your thoughts

Cheers

Rob

All of the above.

However, I have had a recent revelation regarding my GEN's. I own quite a few Gens. 4 out of 5 of my higher end (>$4000) GEN's have developed problems within the first two years of ownership, and have had to go to the respective service centers, sometimes for months at a time. I am beginning to think Swiss Quality is a myth. On the flip side, I have a 15yr old Submariner Miyota powered rep that had never missed a beat before I retired it. In fact, for the most part I have been a VERY lucky REP owner in the movement arena. Combine that with the fact I can personally fix/service/R&R REP movements, I am questioning GEN ownership again. I think the "sweet spot" in the GEN world is the less than $2000 more boutique brands like Doxa, Ball, Sinn, etc... but I digress.

i would say all of the above.

also the ratio of 10+ reps to the price of one gen helps the decision. i have a few gens, but no matter what i always want more!!!!!!!!!

the addiction is terrible!!

• Like 1

I'm still the new guy around here. But I started off with reps as a try before I buy (gen) deal. I've been pretty selective on my rep purchases and did my research not just on the watches but the dealers, sellers, and modders.

I look at some of my gens esp. the ones with a ETA movement I just cant justify the cost. The build quality for brands like SINN, IWC, JLC etc are so far superior than any rep.. But brands like tag, B&R etc... give me a good rep anyday.

Reps has their place.

My Pams get me ass...nuff said. :pimp:

Mate.... All that hanging around in mens toilets :group: ... it aint the PAMs that are getting you that ass !!!! :bleh:

If I am honest the first rep I bought was to make out it was a gen as I couldnt afford one..... How I thought anyone would think it was gen now amazes me and it didnt last that long anyway!!

Years later after owning gens I wandered across this site and realised how good reps had become.... then I bought a few and started to get more into all the different brands the quality and accuracy or not as the case maybe... ;)

What I then found was a really great extension of enjoying watches was creating my own watches based on gens that I couldnt buy or didnt want to sell my car to buy !! :) I found this so much fun and found it introduced me to so many great guys here which in turn led to friendships which I value very highly...

I think now I still really enjoy reps... I prefer putting them together and enjoying the search for parts etc and the people it puts me into contact with...but above all I stay around reps to stay around here and enjoy the community, the guys on here and the info it brings...

It takes many kinds to make such a great forum and its because of that... we all have different wants from this hobby....

• Like 1

Pete I agree with you, but by looking at the absolute minute detail of every genuine in order to fully understand the rep I think it gives one a full respect and admiration for the brand (or in the case of some watch bands you see how much you are paying for crap!!). It takes no time to buy a gen, as long as money is not an issue, but a great rep takes research and a true understanding of horology! (and a huge bag of patience and faith).

• Like 1

Reps absolutely have their place. I've been out to clubs wearing my gen Rollies and no one's ever noticed (to my knowledge) or said a word, now throw on a rep Cartier Santos 100XL chrono with swiss movement and everybody and their mother's on my sack. :bangin: Could I buy the gen? Sure, if I sold a gen Rolex (or 2) I love with their in house movements. Would I? Would I sell these watches I love due to their unique factor for a nice piece of jewelry that houses a generic ETA movement with a Cartier decorated rotor for $5-7K when my rep is basically the exact same thing (especially with custom made alligator strap)? HELL NO!

We buy and wear reps for many reasons. For some, it's creating a Franken of a piece that's exactly the same as the gen, but doing it for 4K instead of spending the 40K on that grail. For others it's knowing that what they have on their wrist is exactly the same as what they sell in the AD with the exception of it not having rolled off of that producer's line. And then there are those who appreciate the beauty and aesthetics of a watch, but can't afford the price tag. For others, it's keeping up with their co-workers and not wanting to shell out the money for the gen. For most of us, it's probably a little bit of all of the above.

For all of us, though, as Pete mentioned, it's really about our brotherhood here. Do you know how many times I've had a member send me a part or piece I've been looking for and not asked for a dime? And of course, when I can, I do the same. I trust my brotherhood of "pirates" more than I trust the sycophantic gen-heads on the gen forums any day.

The moral of the story is, everyone donate $5 for server rent.

Thank you.

::steps down from soapbox::

B)

BTW Rob i buy reps because....

1. I buy reps because I like gazing at them?

2. I am not bothered trying to fool people into thinking i have enough money to buy a gen because most people have never heard of most of my watches?

3. I Do have issues commiting to one watch and this is the best way to own numerous nice watches?

4. Is it the excitement of modding reps?

5. Why are we modding reps? Is it to fool that 1/2% of people who might call us out?...no it's because it's fun and honestly you would need to hold most watches for a few minutes to really decide if it's a rep or not.

I keep going back and fourth thinking about this.

Some days I want to go and buy a gen, but other days i look at rep and say to my self," a gen would not make me feel any better. It probably would make me feel worse since i spent so much $ on it."

some people buy 1 watch, and enjoy wearing it EVERYwhere which is quite fine, but like most of us; we like VARIETY. IF i wanted a variety of gens, it would cost WAY too much $.

I find it easier to buy a rep, and if you don't like it, can sell it w/o loosing too much $. Gen you can do that as well, but there you are dealing with thousands, not hundreds of $$. and sometimes you can take a hit. ( and you have thousands tied up). Similar concept with lease/buy yes you can buy and probably save in long run, but you will have thousands of dollars tied up in the car, until you sell it. but leasing, all you are doing is putting little bit of money each month. (yes will run more in long run) but you are not tying up all that cash at once, so you can use it for more important things etc.

But in end, i think a lot of us want change/options. We strive to acquire new things that we want. A lot of times once we get them, we don't really want them any-more. You can go and buy a gen Sub/etc tomorrow, but once you bring it home, in a week or 2, you will say, i want something else. So now you would need to sell it to fund another one. Whereas with rep, even if you tired of it, you can still order another rep to keep you occupied, and put the first one aside, till you start to want it again ;) . If I sold all of my watches, i could probably buy a nice Rolex, Pam etc. But i would be stuck with just 1 watch. Now i have a few, and i like it that way. will i ever get a gen? probably, thinking about a speedmaster pro ( cant decide which edition ). but for now reps are great for me and been fairly reliable as well ( my first pam 001, is still ticking after 6 years.)

and like others said, its a hobby and being part of a group. learning. interacting etc.

gnight :)

I have gens and reps... I'm mostly leaning towards reps these days for several reasons, mostly mentioned already... I love gazing at them and I want multiple watches, but can't afford the ones I love... so, I steal them ;)