When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is it me or are spare parts prices getting ridiculous?

wiesn089

Man, I'm angry.

I bought a slighly used 6263 MK IV bezel as final part for my V726 powered 6265 franken recently (by no means cheap). Unfortunately when I tried to install it on my watch, it didn't fit correctly :(. It was a little bit loose so a slight knock would push it off the watch. Off to my trusty AD I went. The watchmaker there told me that this was a common problem with these bezels and was due to someone else removing it without enough care and that it most probably had been distorted that way. No other option than to get a new one (in exchange for my old one) from Rolex. Unfortunately he was afraid he wasn't able to order one for me with my 6265 serial, unauthorized reference change nothing he could do blablabla. :bangin:

Well, off to the next AD I ran. I was able to get him to order my bezel, again in exchange of course, I won't disclose how. The watchmaker there told me that last year these bezels had cost 150€ in exchange, but Rolex had raised prices recently (of course). He didn't think they had doubled the prices, so I ordered one (no other option anyways if I was ever to install it). Well the bezel arrived and guess what it is today? SEVEN HUNDRED F***ING EUROS!!!

That's just outrageous, nothing else! I'm done with this brand, honestly, that's ridiculous. They have doubled and tripled their bracelet prices earlier this year (a 91350 is around 1500€ new from an AD, a 78350 more than 1000€) and now other spare parts have become almost FIVE times more expensive?! Everybody here who has handled genuine Rolex parts will know, that especially the vintage stuff DOES NOT justify spending that kind of money. I was going to invest in a birthyear sub or even a 116520 in the near future, but won't because of this. How does this company expect customers to buy their stuff, when they keep rising their servicing costs and spare parts prices every three months by at least 20-30%? I know it may sound silly that I am complaining about part prices for a franken, but you all know that these things are only the gateway drug for a gen collection (if not yet present) and that even gen owners will have to pay these ridicoulous fees as well (I am regarded a gen owner by my ADs). I won't start what the guys at VRF are charging for their parts, because they are even more ridiculous. :protest:

I will be building an ETA-powered MBW milsub franken with a gen crown, tube and crystal and that's it for me. After that I'm done with Rolex and will be sticking to gen Omegas and Zeniths! At least these companies have quality to show for their prices!

Okay so I won't tell you about the set of hands for a 6541 Milgauss for sale on Fleabay.

$23,000 :shock:

The bracelet on my 1665 was so stretched it was dangerous, so I found one on Fleabay for $400. It had someone else's initials engraved on the clasp. Ten minutes with my DeWalt grinder had it on my wrist.

I saw those too Nanuq!

Crazy days...

My two bargain gen 19mm bracelets, one a 60's folded 97$ and 58' rivet 180$ just turned into un-bargains.

I've been searching for a couple weeks for the little piece that holds the springbar inside the endlink (one broken on each bracelet)

I just finished paying 100$ for two of them..teeny tiny little curved pieces of steel. Grrrrr :(

Yup... I have said in many posts, this is why Rolex "Aftermarket" parts NEED TO BECOME ACCEPTED by Rolex Fan(atic)s.

In no other industry or other watch brand do I see such knee jerk reactions-- calling otherwise Gen watches fake or questionable because they contain aftermarket parts. Flagging down auctions, etc. (Don't get me wrong, I flag down auctions of straight out reps.)

If more Rolex owners started PROUDLY wearing sterile 'replacement' Oyster bracelets when the time comes, it would send a nice big Fsck You to the brand and the Fan(atic)s who think the sky is falling because your 35 year old watch does not have a 9315 or $1500 93150 Gen bracelet on it. Same logic should apply to crystals, inserts, hands, and any user/independent watch maker serviceable part.

I can't agree more with you, the price these times are getting higher and higher...

And it is finally just ridiculous. Especially on Rolex AD's, and even more on VRF (I seen 3/4000 EUR for a 6263 bezel... :bangin: )

It's the bad part of being a vintage-Rolex-addict...

More than watches, it becomes a real investment in speculative values. And investments are not so fun if we are talking about watches ;)

The only good point is that your über-franken-vintage piece will only appreciate in value over time...

About the vintage Daytona parts, I did not know that AD's have still pieces in stock... It maybe will a good idea to try to exchange my trashed vintagized 6263 bezel for a new one...

Yup... I have said in many posts, this is why Rolex "Aftermarket" parts NEED TO BECOME ACCEPTED by Rolex Fan(atic)s.

If more Rolex owners started PROUDLY wearing sterile 'replacement' Oyster bracelets when the time comes, it would send a nice big Fsck You to the brand and the Fan(atic)s who think the sky is falling because your 35 year old watch does not have a 9315 or $1500 93150 Gen bracelet on it. Same logic should apply to crystals, inserts, hands, and any user/independent watch maker serviceable part.

I will agree only if aftermarket parts were better.

And currently, Rolex aftermarket parts are most of the time pretty bad.

Seriously, is it SO difficult to make a 1:1 bezel for a 6263/5 ?

Or is it SO difficult to make a "perfect" dial for Daytona ? The job is almost 90% done if we see the current dials.

But no - nothings perfect, or close to it.

Every time I compare a gen piece versus a rep one, there is no comparison possible.

About the other watches, I can talk about Sub's for example.

You are talking about inserts ? I have never seen a correct rep insert.

Crystal ? The gen one still better.

Hands ? Ok, Bk's ones are good. Dial too.

But it's not so common to see "good" aftermarket parts.

Personally, if I wear Rolex watches, I don't want them to screams "I'm fake !"

And about "good" aftermarket parts, have you seen the prices of NDT or Phong ? :bangin::)

So, I think - IMHO - the only way to break this spiral is to "convince" the aftermarket producers to make better parts.

Seriously, who will buy a gen bezel / dial / hands for his Daytona if the aftermarket parts were really convincing ?

Not me. And I have already bought all this gen stuff... :rolleyes:

Rolex pricing has been driving buyers crazy for 25 years. All I can say is, if you can't stand the heat.........

And you cannot really compare the likes of Omega & Zenith with Rolex. Different animals.

Paying Rolex prices is all part of the fun (in the Rolex world, the term 'fun' should be interpreted in the same vein as a 'blue screen' is interpreted as a feature of Windows) of Rolex ownership. After all, if everyone could afford Rolex prices, then it would not be an exclusive brand. But, on the other hand, like I always say, today's outrageous Rolex prices will be tomorrow's Rolex bargains. ;)

Sure, I do know that I won't lose money on this. All the parts on my franken won't lose their value over night, at the rate this is going I'm in for a pretty good investment actually, but still I won't accept that their servicing policy is a total rip off. It's mainly their arrogance and ignorance that's driving me nuts...

"Okay so I won't tell you about the set of hands for a 6541 Milgauss for sale on Fleabay.

$23,000."

Hell-o-fuzzy! I have a couple nos sets for a 1019, maybe they will go crazy someday too. They cost about $65 a set when I bought them.

I simply can not afford to pay today's gennywine part prices. This still leaves a few choices for a nice watch though:

1...medium grade replica with swisseta and some detail work

2...used MBW/Phong/Yuki/DW etc case with swisseta plus a genuine part or two (crown for sure)

3...new Phong/Yuki/DW etc case with swisseta, genuine crown etc

4...new Phong/Yuki/DW etc case with genuine movement, genuine crown/crystal etc (pricey!)

5...not a replica but maybe a 1500, 1603, 6694 etc that needs a little tlc

I could not use a genuine dial or bracelet unless I found a real bargain. I am working on a 5513 project and have the case/rotating bezel and a 1520 with a dial on the way. Need to make an inner bezel, drill lugs etc. Probably end up around $1300 without a bracelet. Not too bad I guess but it's a lot of work.

"I would like automatico to weigh in. He's so good at distilling the insanity of Rolex."

I was writing my post when you put this up. It would take me about two days and ten thousand cuss words to convey my feelings about rolex. It sure would be nice if they issued stock and some rich fat guy bought them and changed things around for the better...drop prices 70%, sell parts, and fire all the snobs/sobs etc.

I remember when Harley D went after one of the big Japanese brands for making fake HDs that had the nerve to sound like HD (Kwacker Vulcan/Yamahaha Star etc, can't remember) and the Japanese MC Co basically told them "Shut up before we buy you lock, stock, and barrel and flush you down the [censored]."

They shut up.

It's all a conspiracy. Why do you think Rolex stopped officially servicing their own vintages. Now they charge whatever they want for the remaining parts. I was discussing this with another member today and you are better off buying the full watch. If a 6263 is $30-50k (or whatever it is) why would you expect the parts to be any less. Especially when all us idiots in the aftermarket are buying these parts. Your best deal today is a whole watch so start saving those pennies. :)

• Like 1

It's all a conspiracy. Why do you think Rolex stopped officially servicing their own vintages. Now they charge whatever they want for the remaining parts. I was discussing this with another member today and you are better off buying the full watch. If a 6263 is $30-50k (or whatever it is) why would you expect the parts to be any less. Especially when all us idiots in the aftermarket are buying these parts. Your best deal today is a whole watch so start saving those pennies. :)

Well said. As a former gear head, this is like the revelation that, in the end, it is cheaper to buy a complete, well maintained [insert vintage/cool car here] then to buy a beater and dump money into fixing it up.

Sure, you can buy that Porsche 356 beater for $5000, BUT be prepared to dump another $20,000 into it and 3 years -vs- dropping $25,000 out of the gate on a ready to go, needs nothing version.

I just had an awful experience with a NOS 700 crown.

This crown was expensive. No one in their right mind would have paid this much. It failed with just 1 week of service. Darn thing fell right off in my hand as I was attempting to set the watch. The part of the crown that holds the stem sheared off completely.

Good news is, the seller stood behind the sale and offered full refund; a little fresh air in the vintage parts trade.

I just had an awful experience with a NOS 700 crown.

This crown was expensive. No one in their right mind would have paid this much. It failed with just 1 week of service. ....

Here is another auto related analogy that I think will parallel the vintage Rolex parts scene. When I was working on (vintage) air-cooled Porsche and VW engines, etc, you had three basic choices for parts. 1.) Old/WORN out original German parts from the swap meets. At the end of the day, these were time bombs. 2.) Aftermarket parts from Mexico, Brazil, China, that often used "original" now WORN out German tooling, or crapy new tooling way out spec. This resulted in every aftermarket part requiring "tweeking" (not unlike a Bezel insert). 3.) Some NOS part that sat on a shelf somewhere for 30+ years. NOS was great when it came to steel parts, but if it involved rubber/gaskets, etc... It was often not much better. (like Nanuq's Superdome quest for his 1665 DRSD).

So, in many respects we are approaching a lose-lose scenario. Worn out original junk. Aftermarket parts that are never 1:1. NOS parts that are $$$$$, and might still have age issues.

A 'quality' aftermarket would be nice.