When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What Would You Do If This Came In The Mail Asa "new Watch

panerai153

Unfortunately the only real answer is to do what the dealers are now starting to do and protect yourself by only dealing openly with the senior members, yes I know there are a lot of good new members coming through but the reality is every time there is a bad member to member trade or sale is strips a little more of the overal confidence that we all have in our trade area.

Ken

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this is absolutely unacceptable....i think of all the members here as my friends and would treat them as if they were my family. every watch i have ever sold gets shipped ASAP in condition as described as if it were going to my family. i know what it's like being exited and waiting for a new watch so i make sure to comunicate and ship fastest methods possible. no way can this be excused as this is just plain wrong and exactly not what we anyone wants from this forum. if a member pulls a move like this, they should be banned from trading here. period. this watch needs ALOT of work on the case and doesn't even run to boot! i've shipped hundreds of watches to members here and at TRC and had one asian patek rep that was running great when i shipped it but not running DOA when it arrived to the buyer. he contacted me and let me know it's not running so without question i shipped him another watch the next day priority 2 day mail. and a much better more expensive one at that... my IWC jones. i told him to also keep the patek. i just recently had a buyer not happy with the price he paid for a strap i shipped him so i refunded him 100% including my shipping and told him to keep the strap. this is how i feel we should all treat each other.

Sorry to hear this. I think everybody knows who we are talking about... Saw your earlier post too ... This guy screwed up with other members in a Breitling deal earlier. A little sneak it is :thumbdown: .

Anyway... It seems like he broke of the bits trying to drill the holes. Probably a HSS bit and not a Cobalt. I do quite a few mods myself and smoothing out and drilling the lugholes is very easy. I would personally finish drilling the lugs but you can also just smooth them. Take 200-400-600 waterproof grain sanding paper and grind it down by hand (starting 200 up to 600) only pressurizing on the lughole spot. Then take polishing compound and polish it. If you do not have this take Brasso and after that Sterling polish (for sale on every streetcorner).

For the movement... new 2836's go for 60$. Have a good look first because it might be something simple. Before you let it get repaired consider a new movement.

It should really be an easy job but if you don't want to take on the challenge I offer you to smooth and drill the holes and fit gen springbars for free and have a look at the movement for you. If a new one should be fitted just pay for the movement and I put it in. I am in Amsterdam (Europe) so this could be a bit tricky with customs but if you use regular airmail it works fine (had two different watches arrive within three days). Maybe someone located closer to you wants to help out also... Saves you stress of mailing the watch. Anyway let me know. Good luck...

Panerai153, I am very sorry for your trouble..

It gets to me when people are buying in good faith, and get [censored] offloaded onto them..

This guy has several times hinted to how he's born into money, so money should not be why he's doing it.

He's had a few quarrels here, and when they all add up it usually shows that it's no coincidence..

I've chatted with him a few times, and he seems like an ok guy, but if he did this intentionally he should be outed.

I can recall that there were some services on the internet that work like this.

You would sent you money to a thrid party.

The seller would ship met package.

The buyer would inspect the goods and withing x days report to the third party that everthing is ok and the seller gets his money.

In case of problems the buyer would indicate this to the seller and third party and a solution will be found.

This service sound good for solving issues like this. The only problem is that yo are talking rep products here so if there is an issue I don't know how the third party handles this.

In any case the seller in it thread should respond to the argument brought forward. If he does not solve the issue I would say ban him from this forum.

Sorry to hear this. I think everybody knows who we are talking about... Saw your earlier post too ... This guy screwed up with other members in a Breitling deal earlier. A little sneak it is :thumbdown:

Eek :o I'd actually sussed who the individual was from the intial post in this thread. Said person seems to trade watches with the frequency some change their underwear. I recently hesitated over buying a Brietling Seawolf Ti from him. One of the reasons was I'd noticed he'd purchased the watch he was then advertising for sale less than two weeks previous second-hand, so I asked for details of condition and age. Before I knew it he'd sold to someone else.

(My patience and caution paid off though - I now have my Seawolf and the member I obtained it from is the sort of fellow who makes this forum somewhere I feel privileged to be welcome. It would seem almost patronising for me to 'review' him in the members trade section as we all know him as a pillar of our community.)

Guest aclaimsman

Wow! This is the same guy that wanted to sell me a GMT some time ago but never posted the photos. I probably should consider myself lucky that we never made a deal.

That Chronomat guy?? Let him response and explain. This is not acceptable at all. I notice he advertises watches for sale that he just ordered and still in transit :lol: This guy is hyper.

I think you've got the nail on the head here. He's describing watches for sale on the basis of what he's been told by the person or persons he buys from, without necessarily having handled the item himself. Might explain the discrepancy. I suspect he is being careless and negligent with his trades with other members rather than deliberately misleading.

Result is often the same though, regardless of the intent.... :(

All I can say is thank you to all of you who have shown your overwelming support for me with this situation. I don't have time to read every post on RWG and TRC so probably I missed out on some of the other trades. I had every reason to believe that this member was honest and above board.

I think that some of you made some very good points about trading with only folks who were Senior members. And for all the newbies who can't tell who the Senior members are just look at the join date. Practically all the Senior members came over from the old RWG around the middle of March this year, From I believe, the 13th to the 19th. If you look at the Join dates, all the guys that joined during that period came over from the old RWG. Lots of the Senior members have been around for at least a couple of years. I post more on TRC but I joined both it and the old RWG in May of 2004, This is not to say that there are not a lot of new members who are dead honest and wouldn't dream of running any type of scam. However we have had, and I'm sure a lot of the older members will back me up, a fair number of "Hit and run" folks who come on as members, run their post count up with a lot of inane, nonsense posts, and as soon as they develop a degree of trust, BAM!! They put the screws to a few members, and then they are gone. Because of this,I believe we should be more careful with out trades, not just from dealers, who get a lot of scrutiny and reviews, but members as well.I know I will from here on out. I'll do my homework!!

UPDATE: Got 2 PM's from the seller. He was very apologetic and admitted that he had done the LUg hole work. He wants me to call him today, which I will. From the PM's he seems ready to rectify the situation to my liking. We'll see.

Thanks agan for the support

Arthur

I feel for you Arthur, what a terrible situation to be in, from the start to actually getting the watch...

What really bothers me is that I almost did work for this fellow...on a MBW no less...

We need to keep ourselves informed of bad deals and dubious members. I do keep a detailed list of members who I would never do any work for, either based on my own experiences, or the comments from members I have known since the old RWG days...another name has been added to the list today...

If this stuff stays behind doors and not out in the open, then we are setting up others to get taken by the same members over and over...

To the MODS>

Is there a way we can help everyone here by ensuring that everyone knows about the bad dealings of members, the same we do with the dealers...the main purpose of the forum is to help avoid being scammed, unfortunatly the shady dealers are not the only worries we have, some of our members are out to screw others...

Hope it works out for you Arthur,

RG

I'm glad things apparently will get resolved and good for you to be so diplomatic during the process. Being capable of being shamed into proper behavior is still much, much better than being an outright crook but you shouldn't have to twist someone's arm so hard to make them do the right thing.

I'm sorry to hear you got gypped and I'm also sorry to hear who it was. Occasional drama queen like outbursts aside I was under the impression he was basically a bright, decent kid based on recent feedback and posts. I guess it's just the drama queen like outbursts that's he's about then.

I'm a firm believer in giving people "the second chance". If... and only IF he settles this deal with Arthur properly and makes it good... why not? I'm probably a bit biased though. This guy made an excellent contribution to the Breitling Guide... and he sure knows a lot about watches.

Part of this mess has probably something to do with his immaturity (just like r11co described). If he trades and "flips" watches like there's no tomorrow it can at least be partial reason for this sloppiness. So let's not completely lynch him (just yet).

I wish you the best of luck, Arthur.

If this happened to yours truly, I would immediately get the CC company involved and ask questions later. When the product received is so misrepresented, one can only conclude that a seller has less than honest intentions. It pisses me off when a tiny set of members attempt to take advantage of the goodwill and honesty of the majority of us. I do not understand why this would be but its happened too often of late.

Hopefully, this situtation will be resolved to your complete satisfaction in very short order.

Best regards,

Jet

No excuse for this. You are owed a full refund including shipping costs.

And as a side note, Doc, having lived (like a king on very little money in South Mississippi) I can tell that you are a man after my own heart--an anestheriologist in South Mississippi who buys reps instead of gens. A sensible man, indeed!

And people who might have misunderstood what I said in my previous post: THERE'S NO EXCUSE FOR THIS! I'm not defending the guy! I believed that he at least deserved a chance to explain. We've had threads like this in the past... where all members have lynched a guy... and when the "villain" finds the thread and gives his version of things and apologizes... suddenly all has been well.

BUT... I made a little search and realized that this Chronomat guy has a history of problems with other members as well. I wasn't aware of the flame wars and his other shady transactions in the past. I read some threads and they make the guy appear in different light to me.

Just wanted to clarify this.

Here are some photos of the MBW Red Sub 1680 that I received today. Would you be disappointed if you found this watch in a package addressed to you?

Thanks for reading

Arthur

Nasty, there is no excuse. It appears like the black bezel has numerous speckled chips on the paint. Is that true or just photo defects. If I ever trade with someone, I hope I get to get a person like you.

Edited by Torques

When this person first arrived, I posted a comment about them possibly not being on the up and up. Shortly after that, they sent me a very nasty PM and I foolishly tried to stay out of the way.

I am sorry :(

Maybe it's time we use the West Palm Beach Rapid Reaction Force again? They have already had plenty of time to sort their issues out..

Some kids don't learn.. what else can we do to help society that has to deal with them?