When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Would You Buy a Gen?

paneraiguy

I'd spend only on watches with in-house movements for their horological value. For stock ETA (even moddified) dress-ups - forget about it. Don't care if watch was assembled in Swizerland or in "Shitinerand"

why my friend?if you buy steinhart ocean 1 made swiss its original!why you must pay for replica ?

Q: Would you buy a gen?

A: No

Even if I had cash to burn, I simply couldn't justify the expence of the item. Reps have enough of the aesthetic of the gen to satisfy my desire to 'collect', and I couldn't care less if anyone was to think I was a wannabe poser for 'wearing a fake', so no, absolutely no reason for me to buy any gen :good::drinks:

why my friend?if you buy steinhart ocean 1 made swiss its original!why you must pay for replica ?

Well, Steinhart's are also replicas, or homages, if you will, in a sense that Gunther uses other's design for most of his watches. If he would use his own design, in his price range, by all means I'd buy his watch if I liked it.

I have a couple of gens at the mo which I bought as I knew for sure I 'had' to have them, one is the SMP, I have had both movements and in the end settled on the Qtz for ease of use, the other is a Tag Grand Date which I just love to look at on the wrist, never see the time when I first look at it lol :inverted:

I did buy a Cal5 Aquaracer Gen too but after comparing it to the Rep I just couldn't justify keeping it the Rep is that good!

Yes, I would buy a gen. I buy them for those I think are life time keepers and also those which I think will maintain value. For everything else reps or frankens.

+1

I might want to add it depend of the watch too. For Panerai I would not buy a gen since the rep of these are so good. Rolex is the one you should be buying GEN since it holds value well. My 2 cents.

"Would You Buy a Gen?"

rolex...

'Unworn' from gray market...maybe, but only if I had it pre sold for a profit.

Used rolex to use for parts to fix another watch...yes if the price was right.

Used for resale...yes, if it was cheap enough.

New from AD...never.

Other brands with 'inhouse' movements...

Not unless they sell parts. Your $2000 'bargain' can soon go DOA with no parts or into a $3000 watch after 'factory' service.

Who sells common parts? (crystals, crowns, movement parts)

I can think of three...

Citizen

Seiko

Omega, but getting worse by the day.

I am sure there are others and there are always a few gray market parts available. TAG and rolex crowns and case tubes for example.

Try to find a new 'fish crown' for an IWC or a gold crown for a Patek.

Can buy, and have bought. There's something nice about NEVER worrying about being called out, but frankly our reps have nailed the aesthetic. Plus, as I see watches around town, I realize that I have never been close enough to see the tells; even if it's with someone I grabbed lunch with. Unless its an investment or a watch for which the rep didn't exist, I don't think I would go gen again (beyond the handful I already own).

I own both, and I've come to the conclusion that genuine high end watches are beyond rip offs, especially in this day in age. Decades ago, brands like Rolex and Omega were more reasonably priced (though still expensive) The new prices now though are simply insane, they have absolutely no grounding with the actual cost to manufacture. There is higher quality obviously in Gens, but it's very subtle, especially compared to the Super Reps now available.

When you buy an $8k to $10k new Rolex, you're buying a watch that probably cost around $500 to manufacture (obviously I'm excluding cases where there's precious metals involved)

I've worked in a high end industry that was similar. It cost very little to actually produce the item, but you mark up the price well over 1000% because your customer WANTS it that way. If it was cheap, they'd run in the other direction, even if it was identical.

My biggest problem with replicas is that the quality control is hit and miss, but that's mainly because most customers of replica watches just want something as cheap as possible so cartels chase after that demographic since that is where the numbers are. I will gladly pay more if the quality is there, but sometimes it's hard to know what if it's the same product with better marketing. If Seiko can make a quality mechanical watch that lasts for under $100, the $300-$400 replicas really have no excuse for quality control problems.

The only gen watches I buy are Rolex, Tudor and Omega (vintage -- before they were sucked into the vortex of mediocrity). A.) I value the in house movements from a horological perspective and B.) I don't think I'd lose any (if so, then little) money I've invested into them. Now, for the rest... I think the reps are the best bargains out there ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course! My next one will be a Zenith El Primero directly from an AD. Imo replicas are a good way to testrun watches or watch styles in general, but overall the added value in craftsmanship and engineering you get from most higher end brands mostly justifies the markup you will have to pay (especially second hand). For me personally this of course does only apply to manufacturers with in-house or non-ETA movements. Modern Rolex on the other hand are completely ridiculous and nowhere near the price they are really worth. Good thing I don't like any of them (except the 116520 and while still very, very expensive, the movement makes it interesting for me) and won't buy one (except maybe a Daytona one day).

Personally, I won't wear out of the box reps anymore. I love high-end frankens of vintage models and will continue building them, but that's mainly due to the ridiculous prices the gen models command nowadays (yes I'm looking at you VRF millionaires! ;)) and the fun it is to hunt for parts. It's a thing you have to experience I guess. When you've owned several well made gens (and frankens with a lot of gen parts) or really got to know some of the technical details of a few higher end movements for example, you don't want to go back to Guangzhou standards. That's at least how I feel. But one thing's for certain, you will appreciate and admire the small details gen watches excel in far more than anyone without experience in reps beforehand.

Edited by wiesn089

Of course. If for no other reason than to be able to attend gen GTGs with impunity.

From what I've seen of gen forums, The folks at a Gen GTG wouldn't appreciate reps 'as watches' just because they were reps, yet would fawn over anything else just because it was gen, so not the kind of folks I'd want to hang out with anyway :lol:

I own gens, frankens and reps. I buy gens for function only and if i can find the same function on a rep, I choose the rep.

I franken my reps to replace low quality parts with high quality ones (e.g. straps) or if the defects on the rep parts bug me too much.

That's the first time I've seen someone mention franken work for reasons of functionality, rather than simply to bring the watch aesthetically closer to the gen, ie gen dial/hands/bezel to create the illusion of a gen watch... Always good to see a different perspective :good:

I own Gen's and they have their place. I have recently sworn off high end Gens (even though I have some) from the Rolex/Omega/Panerais of the world and instead have fallen in love with the more Boutique brands like Doxa, Ball, Tutima, Muhle, etc. For the price of two or three REPS, you can have an awesome Gen from some of these makers.

I'd spend only on watches with in-house movements for their horological value. For stock ETA (even moddified) dress-ups - forget about it. Don't care if watch was assembled in Swizerland or in "Shitinerand"

Funny, I am actually just the opposite and look for the ubiquity of ETA power. The reason being, after they are out of warranty-- I can EASILY fix them myself. I have had horrible experiences with Ebel and Omega in-house movements recently. Also, when something goes wrong on an in-house, be prepared to be without your watch for months.

Also, Vintage Gens are another great area to explore.