When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why I love the Asian 7750.. and I think it does not get enough credits!

Rolexman

Touch wood, so far all my 7750s (none of them serviced) have not had any issues at all over the last 3 years. I think they are a great movement, and since you never really know what you are getting when you order 'Swiss' movements from our dealers I think the Asian version is great value and a good work horse.

Don't forget to add the fact that the date wheel mechanism is actually a better design on the Asian version and does not have the same issue as the ETA one when changing the date between 10pm and 2am. Quite an ingenious design actually. Surprisingly the Asian's seemed to have improved upon a swiss design flaw!

They tend to improve on everything lol

I'll say it again....DO not let your TD be your watchmaker.

I beg to differ - I have purchased several watches from both Angus and Trusty 'serviced' One, my Silver Themes - is the only one of 5 secs@12 aps that isn't in need of service -the others were not purchased 'serviced'. Another, a V1 T3 was purchased serviced - I dropped it and the cyclops fell out so, I sent it to Speedy and told him to service it if it needed it- He replied that is was clean and lubed. Still runs great.

Angus has added a watchmaker so his serviced watches will be available more quickly. Still. I would send it to a trusted resource for service after a year or so.

7750s - I've decided to get rid of most of mine - they're just another "mouth to feed". I'm going to keep one Safari, the Silver themes and my Santos 7753 Swiss. At some point, I may add a 3717 w/Swiss mvment.

Simple is good. (PAMs 6497 Unitas, WM9Rolex/Jumbo etc).

Afterthought - I do have an HBB PlatMat that I will keep/mod - I believe it's a 7750. Though simple is good, I do like Chronos.... :-)

• 3 months later...

Hi Rolexman, this is my first action on this forum.

I can appreciate your liking the chinese 7750. I like them also....., if only i could find a source for spares.

You probably know about the weakness of the automatic winding gears. Pity many users do not know and keep winding untill the teeth drop off.

Do you, or anybody on the forum, know who can supply spares for these movements? Already found out ETA 7750 don't always fit.

Looking forward to your advise.

Regards,

Hampie

Hi Rolexman, this is my first action on this forum.

I can appreciate your liking the chinese 7750. I like them also....., if only i could find a source for spares.

You probably know about the weakness of the automatic winding gears. Pity many users do not know and keep winding untill the teeth drop off.

Do you, or anybody on the forum, know who can supply spares for these movements? Already found out ETA 7750 don't always fit.

Looking forward to your advise.

Regards,

Hampie

It's been strongly suggested by the Zigmeister and many others here to not wind your Asian movements @ the crown. It's best to swivel or rotate the watch to power It up.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for yr. comment. You and i know about the non-manual winding issue on Chinese 7750's.

Repairing them is my challenge. If you know about a supplier for spares for 7750 clone "CH3LZF2" I'd be interested.

Hampie

Hi Mike,

Thanks for yr. comment. You and i know about the non-manual winding issue on Chinese 7750's.

Repairing them is my challenge. If you know about a supplier for spares for 7750 clone "CH3LZF2" I'd be interested.

Hampie

Hi hampie,

You can't buy Asian 7750 spares. Most parts are interchangeable with the ETA version. Not all. Can't exactly say which are and which aren't. I mostly just try.

Movements that don't have spares become spares! That way I collected about 10 a7750s for spares ;)

• Like 1

Hi Mike,

Hampie

No problem..I didn't realize how much you knew about these movements. I wasn't trying to Insult your Intelligence. It's just that a lot of newer members dont know about the winding Issues that the Asain movements have. :)

Mike

"I never thought I would be saying this but I am sick of buying those amazing and cheap Zeno 7750's :) I have too bloody many now."

Many moons ago Hamilton ('Swatch' was SMH back then) closed their USA outlet stores and Hamilton Khaki 7750 chronographs hit the NAWCC shows for around $200/$250 each nib (depending on if you knew John Gelson or not (ex prez of SMH USA...he was in charge of the liquidation). I bought about two dozen and thought I would have them forever. Nearly did.

All the models I had came with 17 jewel movements and later on there were higher grade 25 jewel 7750 models but they were in retail stores and went for a lot more $$.

Nib 17 jewel Eta 2801 Hamilton Khaki manual wind 'field watches' were $50 to $60 at the shows.

I remember Bernard's selling nib 17 jewel auto 7750 Hamilton chronographs on a mailing list for $275 in November 1997.

I talked to a fellow who worked for SMH at the time and he said as far as he knew, every part of the chronograph except for the movement was made in Tw or China and back then many of their automatic Omega chronographs etc had China made bracelets...both all steel and steel and 18k. Don't know about the cases though.

About this time, nib ss/18k automatic Omega Speedmasters with D-D/2894 were going for $750 at the Orlando FL NAWCC show. I bought a few steel 'Schumacher' Speedmasters for $450 but no tutones. They came in a big box made like a wheel on an F1 car. Sold them all a long time ago for a few bucks profit.

Now there is a used one on a strap on eBay for $2095 b-i-n!! (item 370643352705).

I have always had 100% hindsight...It's a gift. :pimp:

I talked to a fellow who worked for SMH at the time and he said as far as he knew, every part of the chronograph except for the movement was made in Tw or China and back then many of their automatic Omega chronographs etc had China made bracelets...both all steel and steel and 18k. Don't know about the cases though.

Indeed. Most parts a made in China.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great post!! I have a Vac 3717 which is ofcourse running on a A7750. I synced the time with my iPhone and after 4 days it is still synced by the very last second! However my PAM253 is running two minutes behind every 2minutes. But its two years old, and I cannot remember whether it was like that when I bought it or not...

How do you wind a manually wind it btw? When I screw the crown back in on my 3717, it makes this funny noise... Is this normal/good/ok?

How do you wind a manually wind it btw? When I screw the crown back in on my 3717, it makes this funny noise... Is this normal/good/ok?

That "funny grinding/gritty noise" is manually winding your watch. It's normal/good/ok although there's no reason to manually wind if you don't have to, and you should be gentle when you do it.

That "funny grinding/gritty noise" is manually winding your watch. It's normal/good/ok although there's no reason to manually wind if you don't have to, and you should be gentle when you do it.

Ok thanks a bunch! It got me worried after reading some posts here. Good thing I only have to change the date once a month, and I will caress that crown to the uttermost while screwing it back in with some Marvin Gaye playing in the background

Edited by markiemark

I'd just get the watch serviced

+1

Your best option is to replace it by a brand spanking new ETA or have your current one serviced. All other options are a role of the dice as you have no clue what state the movement is in and you could end up right where you started: with a broken or poor performing movement.