When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Got Called Out!

Cromag

If you had that kind of rapport with them, to get away with saying that, they would probably have the nerve to push you on it as a friend anyway. If you didn't have the rapport then rude is not much of a qualifier here. And if you stuck to your guns they would probably dismiss it as fake.

If you had that kind of rapport with them, to get away with saying that, they would probably have the nerve to push you on it as a friend anyway. If you didn't have the rapport then rude is not much of a qualifier here. And if you stuck to your guns they would probably dismiss it as fake.

See, this is the thing, friend or not, it's just damn rude, and at the end of the day, I'd rather let someone think I was wearing a fake (because I couldn't give a shit what anyone else thinks about what I wear) than allow someone to expect me to justify myself that much to them :lol:

Just got back from chateau d'Ivoire in montreal to remove a link from my 19mm rivet band and put it on my phong v727 vintage daytona. I was wearing it with the oyster band. Ive never done this before but I figured hey why not, his reps are spot on so I wasn't too worried. After removing the link the watchmaker asked me for the watch to put the rivet band on. I was nervous but handed it over. I could tell he was checking it out and even took time to inspect between the lugs as he swapped bands.. He was going on and on about old daytonas and said you have a very rare dial, referring to the pn dial. I felt so good, he gave it back and never for a second thought it was a rep. With phong he could have even oppened it and not realized... I've never been called out but I used to own many gen's so it was a smooth transition

• Like 1

Just got back from chateau d'Ivoire in montreal to remove a link from my 19mm rivet band and put it on my phong v727 vintage daytona. I was wearing it with the oyster band. Ive never done this before but I figured hey why not, his reps are spot on so I wasn't too worried. After removing the link the watchmaker asked me for the watch to put the rivet band on. I was nervous but handed it over. I could tell he was checking it out and even took time to inspect between the lugs as he swapped bands.. He was going on and on about old daytonas and said you have a very rare dial, referring to the pn dial. I felt so good, he gave it back and never for a second thought it was a rep. With phong he could have even oppened it and not realized... I've never been called out but I used to own many gen's so it was a smooth transition

Watchmakers know. They just were kind to you.

Never been called out, but then again I think a lot of the general public believe most Rolex's -especially TT Datejusts are fakes anyhow. :lol: And 95% of the population don't know what a Panerai is.

And 96.5% of statistics are made up ;)

Watchmakers know. They just were kind to you.

+1

Guys, I know the deal, I'm talking about a super rep the phong 6265 Daytona with gen parts exact engravings and same movement as in the gen. 5500-6000$ rep. I'm not trying to show off, I wouldn't have handed a rep to a Rolex ad's watchsmith otherwise. He could have been "being nice" but I'm pretty good at reading people and knowing the diff. Anyways I guess maybe the moral of the story is that even an ad won't call you out even if they know.

I saw reps on 2 guys at work. Both were Daytonas. Biggest tell was the needles on the sub dials are all pointed in different directions (static) and the large seconds hand was moving. After a few minutes, the subdial hands are still in the same location. I did not call them out as I did not want to embarrass them.

• Like 1

I saw reps on 2 guys at work. Both were Daytonas. Biggest tell was the needles on the sub dials are all pointed in different directions (static) and the large seconds hand was moving. After a few minutes, the subdial hands are still in the same location. I did not call them out as I did not want to embarrass them.

That was kind of you.

I was on a date and in my youthful arrogance was wearing a terrible rep chronograph. She called me out on it, due to the subdials not functioning and the big second hand sweeping. Needless to say the evening did not go well.

• Like 1

as i've said in a previous thread a longgggg time ago, i find it funny that many of us have rep collections that if they were indeed gen, would be worth 10's of thousands of dollars - or more!...as it is, people comment on the variety/quantity of my collection (as i wear all my pieces) - but very few fathom that if gen, what the cost would be...so to me, it's not a single watch, but rather the collection...

i got my trevor 42 mm planet ocean and brought it in a mall selling other gens not omegas to have the bracelet adjusted. The plastic was still attached to the bracelet since i dont want it scratched

My watchsmith the one who works on sealing my o rings when i buy reps was not there but an elderly watchsmith was.

I asked if he can adjust the bracelet and seal the o rings with silicone. He looks at me and says ok.

Once done he hands me the watch. I asked did he seal the o rings and he just says, with new omegas, those are already sealed from the factory and there is no need to reseal it for another 5 to 8 years.

I shrugged and paid for the bracelet adjustment and decided to go back when my rep watchsmith is present

If it was an aged timepiece, with gen movement and such, its entirely possible that even a watchsmith cannot tell if you're wearing a rep without hours of scrutiny of individual parts.

Can really, why would a watchsmith want to do that unnecessarily? They are professionals and would just look to complete the given task well. Rep or gen, a watch is a watch, and its your own business what you choose to wear.

• 2 months later...

My wife is Asian and I can attest to that...they are some nosy [censored]s! LOL! ;)

I am Asian, and I do not consider myself nosy in the slightest. I have Caucasian colleagues and subordinates who gossip and [censored] as much as the next Asian.

My point is, if judgement is unavoidable for you, judge the person, not the race.

Show me a nosy Asian, and I'll show you an equally "inquisitive" westerner.

I am Asian, and I do not consider myself nosy in the slightest. I have Caucasian colleagues and subordinates who gossip and [censored] as much as the next Asian.

My point is, if judgement is unavoidable for you, judge the person, not the race.

Show me a nosy Asian, and I'll show you an equally "inquisitive" westerner.

I'm Asian and I agree that Asians generally are too nosy for their own good. Not all of them but it seems those that aren't well-informed, generally speaking, tend to intrude without manners. I can say the same for Polish people to a lesser extent

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Asians generally are too nosy for their own good. (...) I can say the same for Polish people to a lesser extent
I think we better steer back to the subject... This is getting somewhat uncomfortable. We went from talking about being called out, to discussing the behavior of a certain race in general and now our friend here wants to be more specific and bring the Polish to the conversation. Next thing you know someone is posting how Jews are this, Gypsies are that, Catholics are something else... Please people, a little more respect.

About the subject in question, I've never been called out mainly because I only wear Panerais and, as someone said before, most people even (watch lovers) are not familiar with the brand. The only people I know that can recognize a PAM are family and close friends and they know I collect reps and got to know the brand through me so... :)

Edited by rickdangerous

• 9 months later...

Almost called out this guy at the lounge we were at the other night but didnt want to embarrass him. He was going on about a deal he closed and was showing off his "present to himself", a terrible sub c that was oversized to at least 44mm and had polished middle links. 

All I said to him was, "Oh you got the big face one?"

And he quoted Jay Z... "Big face Rollie, I got two of those ah-ha!"

I just sculled my drink and left    :frusty:

Thought I post in this thread to see if anyone else had some new stories

• Like 1

2 years ago I called out my Boss two weeks before I left the department :D

He wore an ugly cheap 16610 rep...it was so easy to spot....maxi dial, "usual" sized hands, 93250 but with polished mid links, very bad pearl...canal street or cheaper I'd say...it was big fun for me to call him out in front of all his employees (he insisted that it was a gen 16610 and I enjoyably showed him the flaws)...he was and still is a big air-pump :D

2 years ago I called out my Boss two weeks before I left the department :D

He wore an ugly cheap 16610 rep...it was so easy to spot....maxi dial, "usual" sized hands, 93250 but with polished mid links, very bad pearl...canal street or cheaper I'd say...it was big fun for me to call him out in front of all his employees (he insisted that it was a gen 16610 and I enjoyably showed him the flaws)...he was and still is a big air-pump :D

Love it!