When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

J&W 6263: That Big Red Freshness

lhooq

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for this Post !!!! Your watch is really superb, not to mention the oustanding quality of your pictures and your clear comments. Building an accurate daytona is a very exciting yet exhausting project. Thinking of all those details over night, night after night !!!! I built two very accurate V72 some years ago, a 18k 6263 and a steel PN 6240 -the best ref in my opinion as NOBODY reps them- but I was never happy. Always a detail to bug me, a new quest to change a bridge engraving that wasn't that great, a flaw in the dial that would seem to grow bigger every day and so and so.... I took a trip to Vietnam only to go to a factory myself to conduct the manufacturing of my 18k case as the ones I found in Thailand all had flaws.... I finally sold both for a lot of money in HongKong, and I sleep better now !!!! I swared I won't try anything else on that side untill I buy a genuine one. But of course, looking at your post, the bug is getting me again...

• Like 1

I built two very accurate V72 some years ago, a 18k 6263 and a steel PN 6240 -the best ref in my opinion as NOBODY reps them- but I was never happy.

This is a long shot, but... You wouldn't happen to be the guy who commissioned a small run of PN dials a while back, would you? I remember reading about that in one of the rep forums, but there were no pictures at the time. (And now, I can't find the post!)

Thanks to everyone for the additional nice comments! I'm starting to wonder about my Ofrei pushers, though, after reading chief's remarks in his own Daytona thread... :)

I was a lonesome cowboy in the rep world : I'm new in the forums, so no. But I commissioned a series of 10 pn dials of the rarest versions back in Saigon. They were stamped correctly and the printing was awesome, but the subdials grooving didn't please me as much as I wished... I sold them all in Manila.

I liked your comment on the pushers..... Doubt is the cancer of the high end rep builder !!!! Once you even think there is an unaccurate detail it slowly starts to kill you.

Re: Ofrei pushers: I thought these items were exactly the same as ones Rolex themselves fit to a 6263 (if needs be) when servicing, how can they be a POS?

You'll have to ask chieftang about that. I had also believed the Ofrei units were identical (or nearly so) to the real pushers, but my core beliefs have been rocked!

Akira: Good thing I have no love for the exotic dials. Instead of a 7-series, I only have to save up for the equivalent of a Honda Accord.

rolojack: Do you remember whom you sold those dials to in Manila? Some of them may be friends of mine!

Let's track down those PN dials in Manila!

That would be funny for me to see one pop out ! They had a typical "o" at the bottom I'd recognize anywhere. Also, I had series of old 70's guarantees printed by a real artist in HK a decade ago. Those too I'd recognize them anywhere !!! Funny enough, I saw one on the bay 2 years ago : some poor guy paid over 150 usd for it !!! I could't believe it. Actually, I still have some left in my drawers. Pristine 70's super convincing all open papers !!!! ;)

• 3 weeks later...