When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1680 or 16610

Ueno

If I had to sell one, i would get rid of the 16610. Like Danza,i would certainly try to keep both, while very similar, also very different. it would be nice to know the source of these? Have they had any mods.etc. movements?

If they were genuine, I would not hesitate to sell the 166610. There are literally hundreds of thousands of 166610's across the world, while very nice examples of 1680's are getting harder to find.

I'll buck the trend. Between those 2, the 16610 looks more believable to me, although a different date overlay and bezel insert would make it even better. Sell the 1680. On the used market these days, a run-of-the-mill ft-first 1680 like this one is going to be had for just about the same price as a no-lug 16610. So value-wise neither of the two really has an edge. The 16610s have been going up in price, while 1680s have been holding fairly steady.

Edited by chieftang

I don't know about the particulars of these exact watches but if they were both on an equal footing accuracy wise and value wise I'd keep the 1680. I just prefer the older style dial. The bling of the newer version is not for me. It's the first thing I look at when I see a person wearing a sub/sd and I'm always tempted to start a conversation about watches if they have the vintage piece. If its the newer piece with the shiny surrounds to the hour markers I just think there's another person who probably knows nothing about watches and went into a shop armed with his bank card. Judgmental? You bet!

Hi all Thanks for the comments.

Here are the specs:

Submariner 16610

TC Sub V4

Used Gen Insert

Gen Crown

Submariner 1680

Joshua Vintage 1680 (Alternative V) Same as Puretime

Swiss 2846

Used Gen 25-127 Crystal

Gen Tube and Crown

Clarks 1680/5513 Bezel Assembly

OK. To end this thread I've not only decided but I've pulled the trigger. Have gone for an MBW lightly modded 5513 as a starting point. The watch has greased gaskets and re-shaped crown guards, drilled out lugs and 2mm springbars all work done by a respected and admired fellow member. Will post pics and plans for its future when I receive the piece. Thanks all for advices and inputs.... Now that goddam wait aaaaarrrgggghhh.....

• 1 year later...