When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Jewellery and Watch 702 crown

dieselpower

I have no watch to put it on. I have no idea what I'm going to do but I was wondering what the opinion was of the JAW 702 crown, any good? POS? Any cheaper equivalent alternative? Is $150 a rip off? All the usual questions. Thanks to any experts who care to share their experience/knowledge. Humbly and respectfully yours. Dieselpower.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think these crowns are overpriced i have been trying to find a 702 for my 5513 for over a year but 300 plus i want something around 50usd it just seems a lot for a rep build to me! we tried to narrow the cartel crown by shaving the inside a little in a taper but after i reshaped the cgs to look more like a 65 gen we had the crown still looks to wide! do we have any aftermarket/rep crowns? (narrow)

I think these crowns are overpriced i have been trying to find a 702 for my 5513 for over a year but 300 plus i want something around 50usd it just seems a lot for a rep build to me! we tried to narrow the cartel crown by shaving the inside a little in a taper but after i reshaped the cgs to look more like a 65 gen we had the crown still looks to wide! do we have any aftermarket/rep crowns? (narrow)

I have a 702 with the tube that I purchase back in 2007 I think for $50 and I? am saving it because I have not find what to use for.. :) 702 does not have the dots right?

http://www.jewelryandwatch.com/contents/en-us/d77.html

702 is $125 sealed. you can probably get a used one for $80-$100 but for $25 more a new one is worth it, you never know the integrity of the spring or threads in the used ones, and they will always have uneven wear on the threaded grip

I have a 702 with the tube that I purchase back in 2007 I think for $50 and I? am saving it because I have not find what to use for.. :) 702 does not have the dots right?

Yes thats correct no dots thats what im looking for!

http://www.jewelryan.../en-us/d77.html

702 is $125 sealed. you can probably get a used one for $80-$100 but for $25 more a new one is worth it, you never know the integrity of the spring or threads in the used ones, and they will always have uneven wear on the threaded grip

I have seen this site before and forgot it they have a big selection of goodies!

Thanks alligoat. If I may further enquire: I bought a crown and tube for my 6263 Daytona about 1 year ago. I bought them because, as I understood, the crowns originally fitted on 6263 Daytonas were different to the 703 service crowns in that the 703 service replacement had a slightly different logo, the emblem was shorter and fatter and there was a bigger distance between the bottom of the logo and the triplock dots (as per freddy333's photo 703 above) than on the original, taller logo'd crown where the base of the logo was noticeably closer to the triplock dots (as per freddy333's photo 702 above). So, if you're all still with me, does that mean I bought a 702 crown and tube, or was there an early version of the 703 crown that looked, from the outside, the same as the 702?

Thanks again for that alligoat. That makes complete sense because I was sure I had supplied a 703 tube with the tall crown and it fitted fine so I hope you can understand my confusion. Alls well that ends well. For a horrible moment I was thinking that I had supplied a 702 crown and tube (unbeknownst to me) and had those expensive parts fitted wrongly to a 6263 'Tona. Ugh.

The 702 is the King of Crowns ... go for it. That's one reason Daytonas were unpopular / inexpensive back then, they had manual wind movements and screwdown crowns, and lots of customers said "why bother?!"

If I had a spare to give you Diesel, I would. I gave most of my extra 702s away last year though, and all I have left are two for my backups :(

I concur with the grizzly hunter; 702 is definitely the tops in my book.

702 with a 703:

IMG_0837.jpg

Notice how much larger/wider the bottom fluting is with the crimped edges:

IMG_0857.jpg

Crown and tube; it's the profile that does it for me:

IMG_0830.jpg

IMG_0825.jpg

From the top, it almost looks like a sunflower with the 'cut ins' from the knurling:

IMG_0832.jpg

What's not to love?

IMG_1158.jpg

012.jpg

IMG_5884.jpg

IMG_5716.jpg

:wub:

Ubi was more than kind enough to donate one of those 702s to me last year. These pop out every now and then on eBay. Just two weeks ago I saw one sold for $56 or so with tube! I was too late , but hey.

Now, my 6263/5 whatever, has a 703 and tube with the crimped back and it does not look out of place and it's something that would have been serviced and which would have replaced a 702 for sure. A lot more of those floating around and will be a good cherry on the top sort of speak, until a 702 can be sourced.

Thanks for that R appreciated. I'm not scouting for a gen 702, I'm quite happy with the tall coronet 703 that is now fitted to the watch. I just wanted to highlight to any other Daytona builders that (assuming the JAW crown is good quality and an accurate rep) there is a reasonably priced option for a build if you don't want to go to the expense of the gen 702. I for one did not even know that there was a rep 702 crown and tube set. Whilst we're on the subject, what about gaskets. I notice on the JAW photos the tube is not pictured with gaskets. Is there a 702 crown/tube gasket set available anywhere?