When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hurricane Sandy

KB

Just for scope last estimate was 20 billion in damages. We could buy a new house for everyone in Alaska and then some.

Heck you could buy a G5 Gulfstream for everyone in Alaska and have change left over.

• Like 1

any repgeek member,post that election sign over there,a reminder of a good member of the admin team in Zed that bailed on the forum due to their bs. I hope Paul is well.

Also,if you want a long thread,just say you are going to pickup a watch from this guy...

Thanksgiving_08-l.jpg

LOL.

Edited by Dave123

Hope any of you in the Eastern states being hit are doing well ..

Being someone who lives out in the middle of the north Atlantic with 3 different ocean currents colliding around my island we are no strangers to very high winds (100+ several times a year) and flooding is the norm so , us Newfoundlanders have adapted to hard weather but for those unprepared or never seen this type of weather it's bad stuff .. Stay inside and wait it out , that flooding most likely has strong undertow .. It's not worth dying or getting injured trying to go somewhere.

I don't get it. here in MA, schools are closed, airports closed, trains not running. It is light rain and slightly windy.

widespread panic before anything actually happens.

I'm all for being safe but this is ridiculous.

Brunt of wind is not going to reach us until 10PM :g:

Don't underestimate the power of a hurricane. I've lived through quite a few of them over the years. It's always better to be safe than sorry. To a great extent, I believe that the Weather Channel folks secretly wish every storm was a Cat.5 and did Billions of dollars in damages and hundreds of people killed! All in aall they do a great job, but sometimes they are trying to make the weather news rather than just reporting what's happening and forcasting the next few hours.

AFA the storm not hitting by 10PM, evacuations and preperations need to start way in advance, if you don't believe that ask some of the folks who fled Katrina and Gustav the following year. It took some people 8 hours to get from New Orleans Baton Rouge, and it's 70 miles away. I imagine some of the reason there is a panic mode is a lot of folks up in your area have never been in a Hurricane or strong tropical storm. All they have to go on are news reports and videos of some of the big storms that have hit the Gulf and Atlantic coasts over the past 10-15 years. I suppose some of you folks react to a Hurricane approaching sort of like we do down here in the deep South when we get 3-4 inches of snow! Schools are closed, govt offices closed, etc. If you live in the East or Midwest, it wouldn't even be worth a second look, and you darn sure better not try to use that as an excuse to miss work.

Actually this storm is probably more devastating than any in the Northeast in quite a long time - maybe ever. It isn't the wind or the rain from the hurrican specifically but the combination of a Nor-easter with a traditional hurricane - a "perfect storm" to quote a famous movie. Storm surge has been at it's highest ever - 3 feet higher than ever in the NY Harbor. Significant portions of lower Manhattan were competely flooded. All bridges and major roads are largely closed going in and out of NYC, NJ and Long Island. To give you some sense Con Ed purposely shut down all power to 39th Street and below in Manhattan for the first time ever. More than 2.4 million folks in NJ, 2 million folks in NY and 80% of Long Island which is larger than some states have lost power and in some places they won't be seeing it for quite a long time. The Jersey shore is largely gone. Now a few of us have been very lucky. Upper Manhattan where I currently am hasn't lost power yet but don't underestimate the damage. This one makes Hurricane Irene look like amateur hour. Of course, it doesn't compare with life in Alaska but you had to be crazy to be there in the first place. ;)

Good lord, WM - what do you mean much of the Jersey Shore is gone? I've been there on business trips a few times, and walked the long boardwalks in Atlantic City, the lighthouse at Barregut (or how ever it's spelt). Were those places hammered, or uprooted, or.....??

Sounds gnarly. Where's my kite?

A friend has been posting updates from NY on fb, and it doesn't look pretty... Full moon for a high tide, a little light HAARP music for encouragement, I guess they needed to fill the concentration camps er I mean FEMA camps somehow... :bangin: Break out those survival skills and stay safe, amigos :good::drinks:

• Like 1

It is highly likely it paid off to be a prepper in the NY area... People laugh at them, but now they are in their bunkers with power & food.

My in laws laughed when I bought 10 10ltr water containers back in the summer and filled them. A few weeks later, there was a hosepipe ban, and they stopped laughing... They thought I was wasting my money when I bought an LED ring lamp to install above the bedroom door... When the power went out, I went about my business... B)

• Like 1

Good lord, WM - what do you mean much of the Jersey Shore is gone? I've been there on business trips a few times, and walked the long boardwalks in Atlantic City, the lighthouse at Barregut (or how ever it's spelt). Were those places hammered, or uprooted, or.....??

Sounds gnarly. Where's my kite?

Take a look on you tube and you will see virtually the entire board walk submerged and major portions of it gone. And the crazy thing is they evacuated a good number of the shore residents to Atlantic City and then it was completely flooded.

The thing that has played on my mind through all this is 'What about the homeless?'

These are people the authorities have no records of, people that would sleep in places like subways and underground carparks and because of this they are people that can disappear without being added to the death toll.

Ken

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of your losses, of course there will be many such stories but all are devastating.

Just hope everyone over there fires up to get things back to normal as quick and smoothly as possible.

Ken

The thing that has played on my mind through all this is 'What about the homeless?'

These are people the authorities have no records of, people that would sleep in places like subways and underground carparks and because of this they are people that can disappear without being added to the death toll.

Ken

Ironically, they are actually probably the best emotionally equipped to deal with a situation like this... Chances are they have no family, property or possessions to protect, so no reason to not comply with any evac protocols, and while folks used to living in homes may find FEMA shelters spartan and crude, to a homeless person, it's a roof, a bed and access to food and medicines they wouldn't normally have, so a considerable upgrade in their conditions :victory: Fingers crossed for all those souls in Sandy's way :)

My heart trully go's out to those who have been traumatized....and In some cases totally and completely devastated. Those last Images of Sandy approaching land were scary as hell. The results even more so.

Best wishes to all those Involved. Terrible situation....just [censored] terrible. :(

Mike

It is highly likely it paid off to be a prepper in the NY area... People laugh at them, but now they are in their bunkers with power & food.

So true. The boring upper East and West side never looked so good. I am fortunate to reside in one of those boring areas and all of my younger folks have bragged about their cool lifestyle .... meatpacking district, NOHO, East Village, etc. Now they are begging us boring people for a place to take a warm shower. :)

On a serious note - my sympathies to all who have been adversely impacted and may you have a speedy recovery.

So true. The boring upper East and West side never looked so good. I am fortunate to reside in one of those boring areas and all of my younger folks have bragged about their cool lifestyle .... meatpacking district, NOHO, East Village, etc. Now they are begging us boring people for a place to take a warm shower. :)

On a serious note - my sympathies to all who have been adversely impacted and may you have a speedy recovery.

To be fair, those younger folks aren't really at fault for most of the things. It's just their location that made them vulnerable, not their lack of preparation

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

To be fair, those younger folks aren't really at fault for most of the things. It's just their location that made them vulnerable, not their lack of preparation

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I am not faulting them for being in harms way. I am torturing them though for teasing me on my fuddy duddy neighborhood. ;) With the bars closed for lack of power those youngsters can't even get a drink never mind trolling for ........ :bangin: