When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Luckiest Rolex purchase ever. 116610

irolexu

Stupid if true

Not sure i follow is something wrong with buying a gen watch at a cheap price from a motivated seller who legitametly didn't care about "current value" of the watch? This happens everyday elsewhere such as cars...houses....jewelry..,what do you think pawnshops pay you a premium for your Rolex? I saw a good deal and jumped on it so don't rain on my parade please thank yoooouuu

Not one of you would have not done the exact same thing. The watch business like so many other businesses, has no moral values. Anyone anywhere will drive a hundred miles if there is a steal on a watch. Good fortune like that makes up for the rip offs you have also experienced. The problem is, the rip offs far exceed the great deals, by say, 100 to1

I expect that if your friend had taken it to a pawn shop in Dallas, he would have gotten no more than what you gave him. Another factor in a private sale, legally he would have to disclose the particulars about how he came to get the watch. Not sure if a pawn shop would spring for it after the disclosure. The same with selling it on Craigslist or on a watch forum. There is always the possibility, ever so slight that the father who is the rightful owner of the watch comes back and demands his watch. The son cannot produce it, so if he was a real a**hole, which he has already established by walking out on his family of many years, tells the son, "I'm giving you 24 hours to produce my watch, or I'm going to the police and file a complaint that you stole my watch". Now what does the son do? And what do you do? there is a possibility that you both could be in trouble. Probably isn't going to happen, but just because he got the watch free from his father's business, doesn't exclude the fact that the watch was his, and you and the son are both guilty of "conversion of property" if the issue ever comes up.One factor that makes this a little cloudy, is the time frame we are talking about. If it was an older 16610, It could have been sitting in that safe for 10-15 years, and the father probably has long ago forgotten about the watch, especially if he's been gone for 10 years. This is a relatively new model, it's been out what, 2 years tops, so it hasn't been around for long which means that he hasn't been gone for long. Who knows, maybe he was waiting for things to cool off around the old homestead, and then he was going to come in and retrieve all his property. If that's the case, I would expect that you and the son better be saving up your money in case the manure hits the ventilator!! :g:

Had it been me in this situation, I would probably buy the watch, if it was offered legitimately to me, and it wasn't a case of the friend asking me "what is this Rolex worth"? And my answer "i have 2700.00 USD in my jeans, will you take that for it". If he said, "I want to sell this watch, and I want 3k for it" and you said, "I've got 2700, and that's all I've got" and he says "OK, I'll take 2700," then to me that's and arms length transaction. It sounds to me like he wanted to unload the watch for some quick cash, possibly knowing that at some point in time, his old man might come back around looking for his stuff. The only thing i would do differently, I would hold on to the watch for a reasonable length of time, just in case the son, and you, got in hot water over the deal. you see, If the father got mad and got the police involved, he's older and will probably have more influence on the police, especially because he will have told his story first, and the fact is, the watch cannot be accounted for. :busted_cop: This great deal could go south fast if the police said you better produce the watch or a comparable one or you both are in deep doodoo! Might have to go buy it, or another one just like it, back at retail,

Not one of you would have not done the exact same thing. The watch business like so many other businesses, has no moral values. Anyone anywhere will drive a hundred miles if there is a steal on a watch. Good fortune like that makes up for the rip offs you have also experienced. The problem is, the rip offs far exceed the great deals, by say, 100 to1

Sorry matt, I don't take kindly when people assume they know what I would do. Your statement is completely false, I do not believe that everyone would do as you say. Some perhaps but definitely not all, I being one of them.

A business has no moral values...of course not...but people should and many do.

Frankly speaking if it were my friend I would have helped them sell it to maximize the amount of money gained, especially given the circumstances as described and being called upon as knowledgeable by my friend. However, I was not there and I don't know the conversation that transpired and I don't know the the financial status of the individual with the watch. For all I know he was independently wealthy and didn't give a rats a$$ about how much he got for it. If that is the case then kudos to the OP for scoring a great deal. If not then I don't know. All I can say is that the way the OP came across was a bit of a brag on how great a deal was scored at the expense of a friend in troubled times.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program :)

• Like 1

I'm the OP and again if you don't fully understand the post then please don't comment. I'm not bragging I'm just sharing something very cool that happened to me and he isn't a close friend he got my número from a guy I worked with. the term "friend" was used to keep it simple but since people are so focused into my actual business that happened between me and him and not so much the actual product I find myself having to explain this even further. Matt is 100% right though a good deal comes along and you will jump if the opportunity rises. I intended on keeping it for myself and selling the super franken but honestly didn't like the new ceramic sub. I found the lugs too fat, the bezel is too flashy, bracelet seems over complicated and the only nice thing was the hour markers for me

I agree whole heartedly I would rather a 16610 rep tahn a 116610 Gen. I think the sub peaked at 16610 and rolex didn't know what to do with it next. With so much pressure on them to update their models. The fat lugs don't do it for me, they should have gone the whole hog and stuck a 22mm or 24mm bracelet on it and it would have been a better looking watch.

A great story anyway and its like the mate that offers you his car at the same price as the dealership offered to trade it in for.

You offered a quick and easy sale.

Have you decided which model 16610 you are going to buy. I went with an LV and It will always have pride of place in my collection.

The owner didn't give a s-word, and got out of dodge leaving the watch behind. The seller, to whom it didn't really even belong, also didn't give a s-word and sold it at 50% below market value - if knowingly, then as a slap in the face to the shitebag owner. The buyer, who didn't care for his recent purchase and knowing the seller had less than zero interest in reclaiming the watch, put it up for sale at price someone else was willing to pay within a day.

I'm failing to see the problem here, except, the 116610 has grown on me quite a bit since its introduction and at that price I'd have kept it. :)

Edited by chieftang

I don't have a problem with what he did at all, my only concern would be the potential blowback as I stated in my post above. If at some point in time the father decides he wants his watch, then it's probably going to be a problem for the son who sold it. The biggest problem with situations like this, we have a tendency to rush to judgment , sometimes with only a smattering of facts. One big question, are the father and mother divorced? Did the decree give the father a stated amount of time to claim all his possessions? Did perhaps the mother get the house and all it's contents? See, from what the OP told us, it's impossible to tell what the ultimate outcome of this would be.

As he described the situation, the son called him and asked if he would be interested in a watch, they agreed on a price and that would normally be the end of the story. It didn't sound like he took advantage of the guy, and if the son was concerned about the price, he could have taken it to any of probably 100+ Jewelers, watchmakers and pawn shops in the DFW area and gotten a pretty accurate appraisal. Sounds like he wanted to flip it quick, for cash. Another thing as I stated above, most potential buyers would want a pretty solid chain of ownership before plunking down the money for a fairly expensive watch. If a Jewelry/watch store or Pawnshop buys the watch and it later proves to be stolen, they will forfeit the watch and their only recourse would be to go after the guy who sold it to them. If I were buying it from someone off the street, not someone I knew, I would probably require them to sign an affidavit, stating that they were indeed the owners of the watch and it was theirs free and clear with no clouds to ownership. If the son signed something like that, then if there is a problem later, he can be charged with felony fraud, as he sold something that was not his.But the big problem here, is we don't know enough about the situation to even have a reasonable opinion.