When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The 1675 Pan Am

alligoat

I've always enjoyed the 6542 Pan Am watches, especially Freddy and Joey's efforts. But I also have an old picture of a 6542 that's certainly questionable

6542panam2qn-1.jpg

When you look at it a couple of things might catch your eye- one is the black bezel insert, these didn't come out until 1965 or so. Secondly, the GMT hand is large- these also came out around the same time as the black insert.

Amyway, I was between building a 1675 and a 6542 until I saw Ingod's white 1675 dial and that's when I decided on a white 1675

photo-21.jpg

The formula is pretty simple thanks to RA and his work on building the 1675 out of josh's 1655.

Josh 1655- filed down the case and drilled the lugholes

243026591-1.jpg

the hands and the small GMT came from Raffles-time and dial was from Ingod

movement is the dg3804

Bezel assembly is from Clark's amd another bezel and insert came from WSO

Oh, clark's 116 crystal,

Assembly was pretty simple- remove the Explorer dial and hands, glue the spacer ring from the underside of the dial to the movement and then glue the 1675 dial to the spacer ring. After that you set tha hands and away you go

photo-24.jpg

I put it on an old rivet bracelet- the kind that Freddy hates- and it gives a nice contrast between the ss of the bracelet and the case and the black bezel insert and the white dial.

This wasn't a very expensive build and I could do more, but I left the cgs for later, kept the rep crown and tube since they work fine. Datewheel is modern, but I don't care. I was looking at Raffles-time's site today and noticed the small gmt hand is $49.95 now- I could swear I spent $25 when they first came out!

photo-23.jpg

I noticed that the hands look a little more yellow than the dial lume plots- luckily it's not that noticeable to the naked eye in person! Sure hope the dg3804 holds up, because I like the watch.

Oh, then there's my big crown GNT from a few years back

P1010131.jpg

Shaved the cgs off an old sub case, and installed a flat- no cyclops crystal. But I'm liking the 1675 Pan Am better, even if it is a fantasy!

Sweet build dude, always liked the white dial on this one.

M and I have been talking about doing a couple of GMT's, one the Sultan on Oman with the All blue insert and a Pan AM 6542. I think you may have swayed me towards the Pan AM ;)

Thanks for sharing...

That is a very nice 1675!! Even if it is a fantasy model, which is questionable, because there could have beeen some 1675 White dials made for PanAm, after the 6542 was phased out. I really like the Ingod  dial. One thing i noticed about it, it has the date window in the correct place. The puretime dials have the date window too close to the edge. If yo uuse a regular ETA datewheel with the puretime dial, you end up with some left justification, which is really noticable when the dates in the 20's are showing. Looks like your datewheel is dead on.

What made you decide to use the DG movement rather than a 2846? Just wondering. Wear it well,it's a beautiful watch.

Thanks guys

M and I have been talking about doing a couple of GMT's, one the Sultan on Oman with the All blue insert and a Pan AM 6542. I think you may have swayed me towards the Pan AM ;)

Another interesting combo would be the blue insert with the white dial,

You know A, I would prefer an ETA in there but RA has done so well with the 3804 that I decided to give it a whirl. My 2846-2 in my 6542 from Puretime didn't work out too well- the GMT hand was incorrectly geared, so it became a 'decorative' hand as my watchmaker said. The Josh 1655 with the ETA movt. was at least $100 more and it's probably a clone so it could easily need a service.

Hi Chi! Good to hear from you- how's our buddy over in Toronto doing? I guess I need to drop him a line, haven't talked to him in a while.

Well done! I'm certain that I have seen a pic of the 1675 Pan Am white dial somewhere, but can't find it. I'm sure it would have the 'OCC' dial, as the early 1675s did. http://stefanomazzariol.blogspot.com/search/label/Rolex%20GMT%201675%20%22OCC%22. The small GMT hand was used to the late 1960s, the all black insert was introduced in the early 1970s, so they both could easily have been done in a factory service around then, 'updating',  as no one would have known how they'd value 40+ years later. 

I used the DG3804B in my 1675, and I think it's a tad easier to work with that the ETA movements. The obvious advantage is the initial cost, but when it is time to service the movement the ETA will cost anywhere from $100 to $250, and the DG, well, you de-case it, strip it down, carefully place it on the bench, then, using a 40oz hammer, whack the SOB brushing the pieces into the trash. Put in a nice, new clean DG3804B from Frei or other supplier for about $25 and you're done. It seems there have been quite a few bad ETA2846 movements from PT. Those of mine not DG are ETA 2846, all serviced. I just had two serviced by MD2020, very reasonable pricing and close to me in suburban Chicago. PM him, mention me, and see what he can do. 

When buying from Dave at Rafflestime make certain to mention RWG. He can sharpen the pricing a bit. 

This may be off topic, but Bill Yao at MKII has been working on a Pan Am GMT homage for over a year now.

I'm hoping he's offering a plank kit with both the black/white dials, pepsi/black inserts with the rivet bracelet; as he did with the Kingston 6538 homage.

The price tag is definitely going to be $1000+ but the quality is certainly there.  

This may be off topic, but Bill Yao at MKII has been working on a Pan Am GMT homage for over a year now.

I'm hoping he's offering a plank kit with both the black/white dials, pepsi/black inserts with the rivet bracelet; as he did with the Kingston 6538 homage.

The price tag is definitely going to be $1000+ but the quality is certainly there.  

I'm waiting expectantly for that watch. I'm in the first 60 , probably either one or two since I responded about 20 seconds after he opened up the website for ordering. He's slow, but the quality is definitely there. His version is going to use a 2893-2 GMT movement. I would love to have and acrylic insert on that one, but I don't think it's going to happen.Sounds like it's going to be aluminum. 

Great built.

I made the same watch. I try to made the cornino GC, and reduce the thick of the lug, round the lugs. I have gen cornino , and the problen is 1655 has less material in GC, and the cornino GC of mine Pam am is smaller than mine gen cornino.

These us mine 1665 Pam Am

47A9A583-5859-4E02-A700-ADB6F5D3FE99-744

1893DC68-DCD7-4739-9D09-C9397F3D7E6E-744

FF87C9AD-6C98-46FD-9CA2-D9F2F43B8B85-744

Here 1665 cornino, 1655 unmodified gc and lugs and 1655 modified lugs and gc

1933c22d.jpg

I want to make a 6542 pam am have dial, have the puretime case, have the 3804b movements and hands..... But need build it.

I'm waiting expectantly for that watch. I'm in the first 60 , probably either one or two since I responded about 20 seconds after he opened up the website for ordering. He's slow, but the quality is definitely there. His version is going to use a 2893-2 GMT movement. I would love to have and acrylic insert on that one, but I don't think it's going to happen.Sounds like it's going to be aluminum. 

I just can't get behind another MkII project.  The Kingston took too long, and ONLY using WUS as his marketing outlet sucks.  As a previous customer of his, it would have been nice to have been notified about the Pan AM project via blast email.  I ~might~ have jumped.  Having my Kingston is actually anti-climactic now, and I could almost care less about having it, it has only seen about 16 hours of wrist time.  :(