When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Rolex: to engrave or not to engrave....

Rolexman

That is the question. I want to give a gen Rolex to my wife after our baby girl is born in may. It will be a vintage 6694.

So

A. Do I engrave it? Or will It will devaluate the watch' worth....

B. If so what do I engrave? Name daughter, date?

C. Where to engrave? Case back or on a removable link?

That's for your input.

Mark

Have it engraved on the caseback and it will immediately become a family heirloom. I'd list everything! Wife's name, wedding date and each childs birthdate. Have it done as they come. If you're planning a big family you can go with the Deep Sea, bigger still, a Pam! :1a:

Def engraved, the wife will see this as something special and not just a watch, plus this will translate into more........how do I put this politely....... Sex. Lol

Love that way of thinking M    :partytime:   

You guys with the sex... Hahaha. If it can lead to more sex that alone is worth the engraving :p

Will look up a good engraver here. The date is kind of hard as I want to give it the same day she gives labour. Maybe the initials or our daughters full name. Still have to think about that.

Most definitely have the back engraved. Find a really good professional engraver. As to the value, who cares, this will be a family treasure. Even if she throws your sorry butt out at some time in the future (just kidding LOL !!) If your Children's names are engraved on the back along with the birthdates, she will NEVER give it up.

Don't give it to her while she is in labor!!! :nono: Trust me,I have done probably 10,000+ labor epidurals. A woman in the thros of labor is not a reasonable, loving,caring person, she is going to hate you at this point, because you are the person responsible for all this pain.All she wants is her momma, :girl_devil: until the epidural kicks in!!  :angel:  So at least wait til then, or better wait until after she has the baby, everything will be wonderful then. :love: You can engrave everything but the birth date, take it back to the engraver later and have the date added.

Most definitely have the back engraved. Find a really good professional engraver. As to the value, who cares, this will be a family treasure. Even if she throws your sorry butt out at some time in the future (just kidding LOL !!) If your Children's names are engraved on the back along with the birthdates, she will NEVER give it up.   Don't give it to her while she is in labor!!! :nono: Trust me,I have done probably 10,000+ labor epidurals. A woman in the thros of labor is not a reasonable, loving,caring person, she is going to hate you at this point, because you are the person responsible for all this pain.All she wants is her momma, :girl_devil: until the epidural kicks in!!  :angel:  So at least wait til then, or better wait until after she has the baby, everything will be wonderful then. :love: You can engrave everything but the birth date, take it back to the engraver later and have the date added.
Really great advice. Thanks so very much. Appreciate it!

We (my father, uncle and me) did it on a rep yachtmaster after my mother died. She want me to order the watches, and have it engraved at a jewelry shop so we had a nice watch and a piece to remember her. And I wear it a lot , so your wife have a nice memory too,I think. Sorry no pics of it.

Rolexman,

Since it was my 6694. I know what it looks and feel like. so here is my 2 cents

A very simple script would add a lot of class to the watch. Plus the 6694 isnt a very expensive watch .

So the potential value loss versus the joy youll give and brownie points youll gain, is really a no brainer.

Oh, yeah. leave the patina on the hands its the best part of the watch.