When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Let's play a 1665 game...!

Valty

Hello RWG :)

Let's play a little game... What do you think about this ?

Gen ? Franken ? If Franken, witch parts are not gen ? And witch gen parts are used ?  :)

Here are some quick photos... I'm very impatient to see your thoughts !  :pimp:

A little hint : I'm VERY happy about it !!!

P1300900.JPG

P1300901.JPG

P1300902.JPG

P1300909.JPG

P1300910.JPG

P1300911.JPG

P1300912.JPG

P1300913.JPG

P1300914.JPG

P1300916.JPG

P1300919.JPG

P1300921.JPG

P1300924.JPG

P1300927.JPG

P1300928.JPG

P1300933.JPG

Cheers & good luck... :)

R.

From the piccies the datewheel seems a little off so I'll stick my neck out and say not gen movement (I know valty probably wouldn't dirty his hands on a non-gen movement but what the hell, I'm calling it!) Gen bezel insert/pearl gen crown and tube and just for the hell of it rep dial. There you are laugh your socks off at my stupidity  ;)

Insert, pearl. hands. movement. crown. DW  looks like genuine, although i'm looking at mine (Silver gen) and the 0 on yours looks a tiny bit fatter, but the three is dead on, so I would say gen DW. If the DW is not gen, then that would probably meant the movement /hands are not gen, but I believe they are gen. End links also 

Some of mine is conjecture, sort of why would someone use a phong case, gen fat font insert, gen trit pearl, crown/tube and not use a 1570 and gen hands? 

I'm going out on a long thin limb here, but  after looking at it, I think this is a lumi service dial and hands. affect desired, a SD that has just returned from a RSC for the full spa treatment.  

Your thoughts are very interesting guys :) It makes me thinks some parts are now very well replicated, and some others not because it was spotted as gen very quickly

I think I will comment each part tomorrow, I have to admit some of these are pretty uncommon on a 1665 project...!  :clap2:

--

I have a little question I'm asking myself - why do you guys thinks it's a Phong "case" ? It looks too good / unpolished to be the real deal ? Maybe crown guards ?

Dial looks like a genuine Mark IV, which is around 1981.

Genuine silver datewheel

Genuine 702 crown &tube

Genuine Mk2 fat font insert

Genuine hands

superdome cyrstal

phong case & caseback, artifically aged by the looks of it.

by deduction, the movement's probably genuine.

Dial looks like a genuine Mark IV, which is around 1981.

Genuine silver datewheel

Genuine 702 crown &tube

Genuine Mk2 fat font insert

Genuine hands

superdome cyrstal

phong case & caseback, artifically aged by the looks of it.

by deduction, the movement's probably genuine.

You are damn close mate... :) Only one error !

And you forgot the bezel ;)

Well, it seems some of you are right...  :clap2:

Here is the full specs :

- Dial -- Gen Tritium MKIV dial with an awesome white / very slightly yellow color. Congrats to praetor to have find this, it was not easy  :notworthy:

Not a service dial, and no luminova (it should be plain white with more thickness on the plots if it was lumi).

Very hard to find in this condition if you ask me, most of the gen dials are now yellowish. What is funny is some members though it was a rep dial... I guess these are now very good, even if some details on the gen don't lie :)

- Hands -- Gen Tritium hands with the exact same color. Minor corrosion on it. God damn, it was very hard to find too with this color (at least 1 year...). The set was on a awesome Gen Rail Dial some months ago

- Middle case -- Phong case with a very, very good artificial aging. Probably the best I've seen so far !

S/N 6.63mil (around 1980), witch is good for the dial. I found 3 Gen watches with the same dial in this range.

Too good to be a gen (so easily spotted for an expert), this is a long time I've not seen a Gen case with unmolested lugs & crown guards like that... But I like my case it very much :)

Good to know is the holes for spring bars are placed to works with 580 end links. The 585 end links needs some bent to works properly !

- HE Valve V50 -- Unfortunately, it's from Phong too. I have the gen deal, NOS & sealed (now unsealed), but the Gen HE valve is too long to works with the Phong case.

Too bad, because talking about the diameter of the valve, it's 100% the same ! Good news is the Phong valve is OK for waterproofing, it was not won !

- Case back -- Gen early service case back. Not articially aged, but naturally, it spent most of it's time on a very cool Gen Rail Dial before coming here 2 months ago.

Still have most of it's black paint, what is very cool !

A little note, but there is at least 4 different service case back I've seen. Mine have the old-style coronet, and the stroke "Patented" inside the case back. I will do some photos later of the inside.

- Bezel -- Gen NOS bezel from Rolex. Very hard to find ! Amazing to see nobody talked about it :)

It makes a great difference VS. any aftermarket bezel. The metal work is just perfect, nothing else to say... If you looks careful to the photos, you can see it makes a lot of difference with any aftermarket bezel

- Insert -- It's a Gen Fat Font MKII, lightly faded (it is blue with sunlight), with a matching color Tritium pearl.

Nobody was wrong, it let me thinks some work have to be done by our favorite aftermarket factories ! Especially when we look at the price of this small piece of aluminum...

- Crown & Tube -- Gen NOS 702 & 7020, never been replicated correctly... As Nanuq said, all hail the 702  :notworthy:

- Movement -- Obviously Gen 1570... I will not feel good to cut the dial feet  B) Was not working properly, before my watchmaker found a 1520 third wheel into it.

I remember the seller who told me it works fine and keeps time very well... With the correct wheel, it now keeps the COSC time  :clap2:

- Crystal -- Gen Superdome plexiglass... because why not :) Looks NOS, no cracks on it, and keeps the waterproofing OK. Perfect !

- Bracelet & End links -- Gen like new 93150 "M10" bracelet with NOS 585 end links

- Date Wheel -- The better for the end ! Gen Silver DW in damn good conditions... The "30" was tricky, I have to admit it, because it's not perfectly centered. Witch is 100% normal :) :)

I have to say some BIG thanks to torresp. You know why, and it was really, really, really appreciated ;) I will not forget this ! (Now we can talk about a trade between my SD and yours ? No ? Really ? :D)

Hope you enjoyed the quick photos, I'll make some better ones later for the pleasure of eyes !

R.