When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Can I expect a Replica to be as good as a similar priced branded watch.

highplainsdrifter

Hi There,

This is my first post here so go easy.

I'm just starting to look at getting my first replica and am wondering how the general quality compares to the equivalent priced Branded watch eg Seiko or Citizen.

If I was to pay $80-200 for a Milguass replica/homage can I expect it to be as good quality wise as a Seiko or Citizen of the same price.

So far I have looked at both puretime and trustytime. I've also look at some of the homage/sterile watches like jacksontse

thanks in advance.

Edited by highplainsdrifter

Im my opinion, yes.

I have a Milgauss rep that exceeds my Seiko Diver in every department. Looks, feel and movement (its a swiss eta 2836).

I cant speak about the 'lower end' reps in the sub $100 catagory as I myself will only buy high quality reps with a swiss movement or serviced asain movement, but every rep I own is very good quality.

Edited by devilseam

Every rep I've owned has suprisingly been good quality, even the cheaper ones I bought when I first got into collecting  :inverted:  Yes you can expect a decent quality watch for that sort of money !

This quartz Tudor cost me under $ 200 from a member sale shipped to my door and it's awesome ;)

IMG_1600_zps34c7cff7.jpg

Welcome to the madhouse too, stick around you'll love it   :clap2:  

by and large, the reps are equal or better, especially the better quality reps with good movements Swiss ETA or serviced asian movements. however, the QC with reps are non existant, so you may get several in a row that are really good, and then get one with a bad movement, gaskets missing, loose or missing screws, etc. Also  I would never assume that your rep is water resistant like the comparable priced Seiko.

I have both, nothing like the real deal but having said that I have had a po eta for 5 year now and still as good as any of my seiko's, I have had 21j reps from very good td's but in my opinion I wouldn't bother with another 21j that's just my opinion I'm sure there's plenty of members have very reliable 21j

Agreed with the water resistance of reps, I trust a push in crown citizen over a screw in crown sub or SMP, I don't quite know why but they really can't seem to make them waterproof. On the quality side (water resistance notwithstanding) I would expect to see higher quality than a similar priced gen watch but only from a rep costing north of $100, stick to the $200 range and you'll be getting a good movement that can be serviced in a watch with great wrist presence. You're not going to get a hacking 28800 movement with sapphire crystal from Seiko for $200.

This is why I bought from someone like BK. It adds that little bit of QC to the process.

At least I know that it wont be arriving DOA or that he has at least gone through it and is satisfied with the product he is sending. It potentially eliminates some of the hazards of buying.

My friend you have lobbed onto what is undoubtedly one of, if not the friendliest, & most knowledgable watch forums on the planet.  :notworthy: As a noob myself, I'm not qualified to answer any questions. But if you stick with the trusted dealers, & listen to the excellent advice that is freely available here, you can't go wrong. And as sgtguk said welome to the party :partytime:

Hi everyone thanks for the replies.

So would you say it's worth spending the extra $60 for a 2836 over a 2813?

These are 3 I have been looking at the last few days. 

• $80 - movement ? - jacksontse sterile homage. (I kind of like this one as while looking like the gen it has no logos/branding) 
  • $128 - Asian 2813
  • $188 - Asian 2836 

With regards to servicing what are the likely problems that may occur? Lack of spares? Repair shop refusing to work on a fake?

cheers

Look you are getting a Rep of a what 5 to 20 grand watch. Get a good one Oh joy you wear it feels great looks outstanding, now do not go in the water ! As far as comparisons I can get you a diver 500mm water proof well made sapphire AR ,auto with warranty for $250 all day long, you wear it no one will even give it a second glance. Your call.

most watches suck....I've spent $3,000 and got a new POS with dust under the dial...running 2 mins slow per day.......and had $200 reps that were fine. There are a few brands that hold QC very high....but these are few are far between....mostly Its a business and people will get away with the most they can....I think it you want very high quality...you have to deal with a person who has pride in their work....doesn't matter if its a 200 rep or a 3,000 gen....if it all just to make money...price doesn't matter...can spend thousands and get crap.

Hi everyone thanks for the replies.

So would you say it's worth spending the extra $60 for a 2836 over a 2813?

These are 3 I have been looking at the last few days. 

• $80 - movement ? - jacksontse sterile homage. (I kind of like this one as while looking like the gen it has no logos/branding) 
  • $128 - Asian 2813
  • $188 - Asian 2836 

With regards to servicing what are the likely problems that may occur? Lack of spares? Repair shop refusing to work on a fake?

cheers

In my opinion I would always go for a Swiss ETA over any other movement. I know they are more expensive, but your rep friendly local watchmaker can repair it because parts THAT FIT!! are readily available. no matter which you get, it will need a movement service. If it's one you want to get wet it will need a pressure test as well.

With reps like genuine watches, you pretty much get what you pay for. Better movements, better cases, better dials and hands are more expensive. The main thing lacking in reps , ZERO quality control. Get used to it, believe it and make plans to overcome it on your own, because no matter how much "Bull S**T" your trusted dealers tell you. an no matter how many QC photos they send you, they don't show you good detailed photos of the movement, nor do they tell you that the factory where the reps are assembled is not even close to the temperature, humidity and dust filtered environment that Swiss watches are built in. Your movement may be handled carefully by a sweet little watch assembler, who is proud of her work, and tries to do a good job, but it just as well could be built by the girl next to her that's thinking about her boyfriend, totally distracted when she drops your movement on the floor, picks it up, blows off the dust and cases it up. She didn't see that dust that was under the rotor, which will seep through the rest of your unoiled dry watch, and slowly grind the moving parts to bits!!

Your watch may have a Coronet on the dial, and it may say Rolex, but believe me it's not!! Get it serviced properly and all the little "hiccups" fixed ,and it's still not a Rolex, but it sure will run like one.

It's not that simple.

In terms of specs, you're getting much more with the rep, try to find a good branded watch for that price that has:

1. Auto movement.

2. Saphire crystal.

3. AR of any kind.

4. Good quality SS bracelet (and not the flimsy one you usually get).

5. Lume.

Don't bother, it would be very hard to find a good branded watch that has any of them, it would be impossible to find one with all of them.

But, those high-end specs at a low-end price come with a price - reliability. It's not only the movement, but also the dial and markers (that could fall off), water resistance, etc..

So, which is better? Think of the reps as an Italian Alpha Romeo and the cheap gens as a Japanese Toyota. Which would you prefer to own?

• Like 1