When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Yes, Another Datejust...

jmb

It's been a while since I have built anything so I decided it was time to use the gen vintage silver dial I had squirreled away.  I prepped a 2824 rep case with lug holes and mounted a DW overlay to an Asian 2824 movement and I then glued on the dial and aligned the hands.  After assembling it into the case I topped it off with a Clark crystal and a gen Engine Turned bezel. 

Although building these with a 2824 movement and specific case results in a much nicer look the issue with DW overlay clearance is really irritating.  One way to solve this is to use a 2836 datewheel but once you get the dial spaced out far enough to clear you are getting the stem into some bind.  On the few that I've built I have spaced the overlay out from the original datewheel just far enough to barely clear the movement and used no further spacing of the dial.  This give a perfect stem position relative to the case but can result in a couple spots where the overlay might "drag" a bit when changing date.  This requires me to occasionally "help" the date get centered in the window but in my opinion it's a small price to pay for a nice slim case and a perfectly centered stem.

I had bought several gen Engine Turned bezels over the past year and I really like them paired up with a Jubilee bracelet.  My original intent was to build a watch around this dial to see if I liked it better than I did when I had it in a 2836 case with smooth bezel and Oyster bracelet.  Although the slimmer case, Jubilee bracelet, and Engine Turned bezel worked wonders I have to admit that the Linen is still my favorite.

Here's a couple of pics...

post-24124-0-92252800-1363108233_thumb.j

post-24124-0-42913100-1363108248_thumb.j

post-24124-0-78122800-1363108295_thumb.j

post-24124-0-40510600-1363108339_thumb.j

post-24124-0-88949600-1363108398_thumb.j

Glad y'all like it, it's really fun to build these with a gen dial.  I'm trying to decide whether to keep this and get rid of my Blue Sunburst Roman or let this go.  I really don't need three DJs -  I hate making choices... :Jumpy:

Looking good J!

Have you ever considered the wg fluted bezel? Or the polished SS fluted bezel for the budget conscious?

Seems like I've seen you use that dial before- the older DJ that's turned off-white/beige.

That's what I used on my old DJ franken

DSC03860.jpg

Recently put it on a jubilee but don't have any pics.

Sure makes for a great low profile beater.

On 2824's I've found the majority of friction on the overlay comes from the date jumper maintaining plate and the minute train bridge.  I've filed down the plate and thinned the top of the lip on the bridge (just don't mis-shape or bend it or the date will never change right) to help - I also use white "Tacky Glue" on overlays.  It sets slow and is thick so between the thick glue and the thinning of the metal, the problem is largely solved.

cj - I probably did not "thin" that plate enough so when I put on a better DWO I'll hit it with a file again.

goat - I'm kinda partial to the ET bezels on vintage.  You are right, I had used this dial a year or so ago in a 2836 case with smooth bezel but really didn't like it so it got "recycled"...

chi - long time no see!!!

sgt - Thanks!

It helps, when using a 2824 to polish down the screw head that holds the minute train bridge.  It usually has a pretty good slot in it so you can take it down a good bit.  That relieves a lot of the pressure from the dwo.  I like using the 16000 cases with a 2836.  Just fewer problems.  I tried to build a 1601 and finally gave up.  Never could get it to work well.

Preacher - I think the 2824 cases look a bit more "gen-like" with the slimmer profile and higher crown position.  This is the same case I use for building Explorers but I drill smaller holes for a DJ...