When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

If This Does Not Take Your Breathe Away, Nothing Will.

freddy333

Yes & another of those small run samples likely made as a market test or as part of a promotional campaign or for a special customer that were never meant for retail sale, but that ultimately made its way into the market. Like the white 6542, I believe this is another of those vintage Rolex rarities that are generally attributed to urban myth, but are in fact genuine.

Slightly less gaggage. Mostly because I've raced sloops for years and that's easier to time with than a Sub's bezel.

Now you just get some secretary's white-out fluid and you can fix that beauty right up.

• Like 1

Kind of in the same boat as Nanuq sorry.

It reminds me of those cheap watches that had a sticker for a dial.

Probably worth a truck load of money though.

Ken

Damit freddy please say this isnt yours!

Now tell me why couldnt rolex make something with this daytona style now?

No, not mine. But I wish it was.

They could easily produce an updated version today, but, as Rolex has said many times, they are in the business of selling new watches, not rehashing the past (Milgauss & Prince, excepted). Additionally, I think Rolex (& most of the other luxury watch brands) are targeting their marketing towards Asian customers, who prefer big, gaudy pieces (I have heard through reliable sources that Asia, in general, & China, in particular, were the impetus for the supersized cases & added bling that we have seen from the historically slow-to-change Rolex in recent years).

Kind of in the same boat as Nanuq sorry.

It reminds me of those cheap watches that had a sticker for a dial.

Probably worth a truck load of money though.

Probably 2 truck loads & your & Nanuq's less than fawning opinions of the watch were probably shared by whoever Rolex polled back in the 1960s when they made the decision not to market these Ferrari Daytonas (as some have termed them).

Back on topic, any guesses why the pink dial?

My guess is that it was produced as a market test or promotion. Maybe it was made as part of a race sponsorship that got cancelled or something like that? Remember, the Daytona was originally called the 'Le Mans'.

I am only aware of 3 authenticated copies of this watch. Clapton had 1 (I think it was sold as part of the famous Clapton auction several years ago & I think the buyer has remained silent), Goldberg has 1 & Rolex has the remaining 1 in their private collection.

Just as a litte side note to this thread, my father has worked for a valuers & auctioneers company for many years that sell off the assets of companies that go into administration.

A few years ago they were asked to sell 3 Rolex's that belonged to a famous underworld gangster. All 3 watches were custom made one off's.

When my fathers company aproached Rolex to authenticate them they refused based on who they once belonged to. My fathers company had to take Rolex to court before they would authenticate them, which they did in the end.

Before they were authenticated one was offered to my father at a 'knock down' price but as they were all very 'blingey' he passed.

I have no idea what models they were but they were of the Gold/Diamond variety.