When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Where did they go?

automatico

Mulholland? Hooooooly smokes. I saw him selling some very questionable parts ~3 years ago and gave him the benefit of the doubt.

Check out WUS. One of the Moderators on the official Doxa forum ripped off a guy's 600T.

This is getting crazy! Too much temptation I guess.

hard times will make folks do crazy things. People who would under normal conditions never commit a crime get into a financial bind, and the next thing you know they are stealing money. It's always the same story, i have a gambling habit, I was about to lose my house,I lost my job, and  I was s desperate.They all say in retrospect that they  were planning to pay every cent back, but it never unfolds that way. We got a gambling boat in our town a few years back, within about a year or eighteen months, the embezzlement rate went up about 500 %.Folks gambled away their rent, car payments,etc at the boat, and they figured that they could make it up by stealing, then when they "hit it big", which they never do, they would pay it all back.

From what I read, Mulholland claims that his wife who it seems was only married to him briefly, cleaned out his bank accounts, and absconded with a bunch of watches as well. Makes you wonder about a guys judgment, when his fairly new bride leaves with all the loot! After this happened,I went to google earth and found his house in Florida. After seeing where he lived and the house, I would never ever ship him a watch to trade or repair. This is  very decidedly a neighborhood on the decline, very tiny houses, not very well kept lawns, landscaping, and one that i would be afraid to leave anything of value inside even if  i went to the corner convenience store for a quart of milk.Maybe not the barrio yet, but heading that way fast.

"hard times will make folks do crazy things. People who would under normal conditions never commit a crime get into a financial bind, and the next thing you know they are stealing money."

I believe it depends on the moral makeup of the person in question.

I also believe that people who turn bad have had it in them all the time and most have pulled shady deals in the past but never got 'outed' because the victim stayed quiet or the crook made amends etc. I have known people who got in huge binds over divorce, bankruptcy, job loss etc and none of them resorted to crime or deception of any sort. Otoh, some of the internet forum characters who are constantly bragging about what they have, what they can do etc are prone to turn bad and then claim things have gone wrong in their family, business etc to escape investigation or prosecution. 

From reading the various stories on the forums over the years about 'good guys gone bad', I will always wonder if they were any good to begin with. For example, just how good were the 'infamous modders' etc who have gone south on RWG? Once they get busted, others always chime in with complaints, some going back to the beginning when the character in question could do no wrong.

I believe many are not much good to begin with (morals or skills) but they act like a good guy and hype their skills to get a following built up before dropping the ball on the suckers. This may be harsh but it is usually the way it goes.

I have been trading/working on watches over 40 years and have seen a lot of 'good guys' go bad. It is easy now with the internet.

"Trust No One."   :pimp:

Cancer Man  'The X Files'  May 13, 1994

Besides fitting in with the theme of 'The X Files', it is very good internet advice.

In the end, your character/reputation is your most precious possession and nobody can take it from you. To lose it, you have to throw it away.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

VRF 5-18-13

After someone said to give STM the benefit of the doubt when he recently got in trouble on VRF, all the blistered posters shut up like good little boys and acted like everything was Hunkey-Dorey.

Well...now it looks like it's not.

What it looks like is the blisters are coming to a head.  :vava:

Hunkey Dorey

One of the boys am I,
That always am in clover;
With spirits light and high,
'Tis well I'm known all over.
I am always to be found,
A singing in my glory;
With your smiling faces round,
'Tis then I'm hunkey dorey.

• 2 months later...

I just happened onto one of his eBay auctions yesterday. I wouldn't know his eBay name but I recognized his eBay pic/ icon thing.

What surprised me, the parts he was selling were crap and his pictures were a mess.

I just happened onto one of his eBay auctions yesterday. I wouldn't know his eBay name but I recognized his eBay pic/ icon thing.

What surprised me, the parts he was selling were crap and his pictures were a mess.

Woof, could you post a link? Or at least a pic of the icon? I'm not familiar with it, and I want to keep an eye out in the future.

Thanks

I tried to broker a deal with Steve about 3 years ago for a blue Tudor insert that he sent me pics of. He wanted $600 for it. I contacted a seller out of Germany with a cold email I found on vrf asking if by chance he had one. He sent me pics of one with a price of $300. It was the same insert. I asked him if someone else had by chance contacted him about it and if so I'd give him what they offered. He said he had but that the person hadn't responded yet so he would. Bought it for $250. Mulholland was the other guy. He was trying to net a $350 profit as a middleman. A week later I contacted him to see if he still had it. He told me no as his source didn't have it anymore but he could get another for the same price. I told him it was ok as I was the one who had purchased it from his "source" for the same price he was going to get it for. He responded that he didn't think that was right of me. My response was a simple one liner: I didn't think a $350 profit was either." Never contacted that schmuck again.

• Like 2

I tried to broker a deal with Steve about 3 years ago for a blue Tudor insert that he sent me pics of. He wanted $600 for it. I contacted a seller out of Germany with a cold email I found on vrf asking if by chance he had one. He sent me pics of one with a price of $300. It was the same insert. I asked him if someone else had by chance contacted him about it and if so I'd give him what they offered. He said he had but that the person hadn't responded yet so he would. Bought it for $250. Mulholland was the other guy. He was trying to net a $350 profit as a middleman. A week later I contacted him to see if he still had it. He told me no as his source didn't have it anymore but he could get another for the same price. I told him it was ok as I was the one who had purchased it from his "source" for the same price he was going to get it for. He responded that he didn't think that was right of me. My response was a simple one liner: I didn't think a $350 profit was either."Never contacted that schmuck again.

Couldn't agree more with you, mate.

Fella tried selling me a service luminova 1665 dial for the price of a tritium one, once. :p

Sent from my SHV-E250S using Tapatalk 2

250$ is a good price on the blue Tudor insert, they average 300-350$, 600$ is outrageous! I got lucky with my gen for 160$ but pearl was missing, other than that..mint.

The fact he wanted to make 350$ profit just screams of his character..if you even ever received your insert. I'm glad another scumball is being exposed. This hobby is difficult and expensive anyway without guys like him.

250$ is a good price on the blue Tudor insert, they average 300-350$, 600$ is outrageous! I got lucky with my gen for 160$ but pearl was missing, other than that..mint.

The fact he wanted to make 350$ profit just screams of his character..if you even ever received your insert. I'm glad another scumball is being exposed. This hobby is difficult and expensive anyway without guys like him.

Woof

I bought from the guy he was going to buy it from. They were selling in the 200-300 range in 2010. Now they go for about 500. I bought one last year for 400 and sold it again last month for 5.

• 7 months later...

The Mayer-Maron thread got me thinking about Steve Mulholland, and I happened upon this old thread when I saw it come up in the google results.

I agree with automatico. A good guy that turned bad probley isnt a good guy from the beggining. I don't care how tough times get that's no excuse. I Personally couldn't do something like that because like they say Karma is a [censored] and it comes full circle.

:bangin: