When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Phong and his prices :D

Guest zeleni kukuruz

Guest zeleni kukuruz

I wanted to know what he took for a casback for the tudor 7032.

I got back 450$ and 45$ in shipping cost! :D

The rest is history!

Crazy son of a [censored].

I've learned with phong that buying a complete case is way more affordable. He doesn't like selling parts, that's pretty obvious! He quoted something like 400$ for a 6538 case back, 350$ for the bezel 1000$ for the midcase etc. and when you add it all up its way more than the entire case set.. His 6538 set is 1650$ which he will do for 1450$ with that you get everything except the dial hands and movement.

Apparently the Big Crown King gets a preferred buyer discount.  ;)

I asked Phong about a caseback to take my Big Daz up a notch, and he wanted $650 for it.  :blink:

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm no.  Think I'll pass.

It's craziness, I tell you. 

I just sold a killer nice titanium swiss dive chrono on eBay, for $740.  For the whole watch.  Almost unused. 

I wonder if it's time for we, the ones with the money, to step back and consider what we're doing to the supply/demand curve?

If we stop buying, and agree among ourselves that $500 seems more reasonable for a complete case set, and don't buy ANYTHING until the prices come down to that level, we can make it happen.

Guest zeleni kukuruz

It's craziness, I tell you.

I just sold a killer nice titanium swiss dive chrono on eBay, for $740. For the whole watch. Almost unused.

I wonder if it's time for we, the ones with the money, to step back and consider what we're doing to the supply/demand curve?

If we stop buying, and agree among ourselves that $500 seems more reasonable for a complete case set, and don't buy ANYTHING until the prices come down to that level, we can make it happen.

Now thats the best thing i hurd in a [censored] long time mate!!! But im NOT sure if WE can force down the prices, WE are not so many on the forum that buy's his stuff, imagen all the other people out there that he is rubbing!!! I myself could never afford buying from him!

and a freaking caseback for $450.....are you phucking kidding me???????? Am I gonna wear that phucking REP caseback up??? Nuts! I'll put a Cokepost-4000-0-70519800-1367949286_thumb.jp/Pepsipost-4000-0-52053900-1367949278_thumb.jp bottle cap on it first! At least they're real vintage!

please step forward Mr INGOD44, I of course realise guys that his cases doesn't have the same finese and the engravings are not the best. BUT apply a few hours of loving care in terms of ageing and softening. Then perhaps add a nice chrome plated brass bezel from Natalie and i think your certainly down the right route. Looking at his current 6538 dials, i have to say pound for pound they make very good value for money. send it off to Big Daz or one of the other Modders on here and its going to look the part too.

Speaking from personal experience, unless your really wanting to go the full Gen movement route the investment into a 'hit and miss' phong case doesn't warrant the time and effort involved. Having purchased a number of cases from him over the years you really are taking a big risk at $1500 a pop. i've had to send back at least 4 examples, simply because they are very different to what he has pictured on his website.

Worse than all that, I paid Phong's full price ($1,650) for my 5514 case (specifically, so he wouldn't have an excuse for pulling any bait-&-switches), which was pictured on his website with this caseback (pic taken from Phong's site - later, I found out that this was a pic of a 1-off replacement caseback he sent to Ubi)

RandyscasebackfromPhong-1_zps1d633769.jp

but received this caseback (pic taken from Phong's site)

DSCN0872-1_zpscedebbcc.jpg

It may be difficult to see in this pic, but the coronet looks like a cheap fake & none of the text is straight (ROLEX looks like a wavy line).

Long story short, after receiving 3 replacements over a period of more than 2 years, each worse than the previous (with the last 2 looking exactly the same even though the last was supposedly made from new (perfect) artwork), I finally surrendered & decided to continue the search for another caseback (seller) or gen parts. Oh & right after I returned my original caseback to Phong, it appeared on his website as the caseback for his 5514 case. :frusty:

Is there anything we can do about Phong's prices & questionable marketing practices? I doubt it. & since he still sells some good items, I think you just have to deal with Phong as you do Mr. Slimeball. That is, use him as a last resort & pay him only what you can afford to lose in a gamble.

For a guy that charges so much money for his stuff, i read nothing but bad stuff about his parts. I go on 4 different web forums and i read more bad than good on this guy.i dont know why you people keep buying this [censored].

More demand then suppliers

For instance..he is the only one right now delivering 16520 cases :(

I have to agree wqith denim, unlesx you are going to go the full Monty and use a genuine dial. movement. hands, crown., etc. It's pretty silly to spend that sort of money for a caseset. There are others that while maybe not quite as good as his SHOULD be, with a little work, they may end up better, probably for a third the money. If you'rd going to use a DG movement a MBW dial and Rep hands, crown and bracelet, etc, what's the point? 

Worse than all that, I paid Phong's full price ($1,650) for my 5514 case (specifically, so he wouldn't have an excuse for pulling any bait-&-switches), which was pictured on his website with this caseback (pic taken from Phong's site - later, I found out that this was a pic of a 1-off replacement caseback he sent to Ubi)

RandyscasebackfromPhong-1_zps1d633769.jp

but received this caseback (pic taken from Phong's site)

DSCN0872-1_zpscedebbcc.jpg

It may be difficult to see in this pic, but the coronet looks like a cheap fake & none of the text is straight (ROLEX looks like a wavy line).

Long story short, after receiving 3 replacements over a period of more than 2 years, each worse than the previous (with the last 2 looking exactly the same even though the last was supposedly made from new (perfect) artwork), I finally surrendered & decided to continue the search for another caseback (seller) or gen parts. Oh & right after I returned my original caseback to Phong, it appeared on his website as the caseback for his 5514 case. :frusty:

Is there anything we can do about Phong's prices & questionable marketing practices? I doubt it. & since he still sells some good items, I think you just have to deal with Phong as you do Mr. Slimeball. That is, use him as a last resort & pay him only what you can afford to lose in a gamble.

i remembered you had asked me for a caseback, i didnt have any extras at the end of the day that didnt belong to any complete cases. I am waiting to hear back on the price for just some 1665 GW casebacks if all is good i will also ask for an extra 5514 caseback to be made.

i remembered you had asked me for a caseback, i didnt have any extras at the end of the day that didnt belong to any complete cases. I am waiting to hear back on the price for just some 1665 GW casebacks if all is good i will also ask for an extra 5514 caseback to be made.

I appreciate the offer & will certainly take you up on it if you are able to source something better than what I have. Unfortunately, I have not seen any truly accurate 5514 casebacks (other than the 1-off replacement Ubi received from Phong or gen).

"Its funny he asks these crazy prices and then when you get the case, case back, bezel whatever it needs to be sent back 5 times because its not the one he showed you in QC in the begining."

"For a guy that charges so much money for his stuff, i read nothing but bad stuff about his parts. I go on 4 different web forums and i read more bad than good on this guy.i dont know why you people keep buying this [censored]."

I will always believe these are slightly modified $50 cases/backs etc and they just keep sending them out until one sticks. There is no other common sense explanation for all the screw-ups.

Look at MBW/MBK cases for instance...they have been the standard for years at a fair price with few complaints...they are better suited to Eta movements though

"please step forward Mr INGOD44, I of course realise guys that his cases doesn't have the same finese and the engravings are not the best. BUT apply a few hours of loving care in terms of ageing and softening."

"I have to agree with denim, unless you are going to go the full Monty and use a genuine dial. movement. hands, crown., etc. It's pretty silly to spend that sort of money for a caseset. There are others that while maybe not quite as good as his SHOULD be, with a little work, they may end up better, probably for a third the money. If you'rd going to use a DG movement a MBW dial and Rep hands, crown and bracelet etc, what's the point?"

+1

I cussed and discussed DW submariner cases until I took the time to detail a DW case and add a Clark bezel kit, now (to me) they are the bargain of the bunch when using genuine movements.

It sure would be nice if HiHo could get another batch of cases made.  :clap2:

• Like 1

"Its funny he asks these crazy prices and then when you get the case, case back, bezel whatever it needs to be sent back 5 times because its not the one he showed you in QC in the begining."

"For a guy that charges so much money for his stuff, i read nothing but bad stuff about his parts. I go on 4 different web forums and i read more bad than good on this guy.i dont know why you people keep buying this [censored]."

I will always believe these are slightly modified $50 cases/backs etc and they just keep sending them out until one sticks. There is no other common sense explanation for all the screw-ups.

Look at MBW/MBK cases for instance...they have been the standard for years at a fair price with few complaints...they are better suited to Eta movements though

"please step forward Mr INGOD44, I of course realise guys that his cases doesn't have the same finese and the engravings are not the best. BUT apply a few hours of loving care in terms of ageing and softening."

"I have to agree with denim, unless you are going to go the full Monty and use a genuine dial. movement. hands, crown., etc. It's pretty silly to spend that sort of money for a caseset. There are others that while maybe not quite as good as his SHOULD be, with a little work, they may end up better, probably for a third the money. If you'rd going to use a DG movement a MBW dial and Rep hands, crown and bracelet etc, what's the point?"

+1

I cussed and discussed DW submariner cases until I took the time to detail a DW case and add a Clark bezel kit, now (to me) they are the bargain of the bunch when using genuine movements.

It sure would be nice if HiHo could get another batch of cases made.  :clap2:+

+1 to the need for more HiHo cases, especially some 1680's

I appreciate the offer & will certainly take you up on it if you are able to source something better than what I have. Unfortunately, I have not seen any truly accurate 5514 casebacks (other than the 1-off replacement Ubi received from Phong or gen).

I haven't seen the latest Phong 5514 cb, but I remember HH ones were very very good?