When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How Many Of You Have Actually Worked On Your Watches?

crystalcranium

We have a hard core group of modders here and the one and only Ziggy. My question is where would you rate yourself on the following scale

#1. Never attempted to work on or want to know anything about how to service a watch. Pulling out the crown and setting the time or advancing the date is somewhat challenging.

#2. I've opened a caseback and looked inside. Several times I've actually taken the initiative to change the battery in a quartz watch but the works in a mechanical look intimidating.

#3. I've worked on the insides to a very minimum extent. I've regulated a watch, attached a rotor that has fallen off, replaced or greased a gasket etc.....and I'd love to know more and do more.

#4. All the skills of #3 and I've changed a movement/dial which means I've removed a crown and stem, removed and remounted a movement from a case, pulled and remounted hands and dials.

#5. #4 level skills and I have done some serious modifications to watch cases. Grinding, re-shaping cases and drilling doesnt intimidate me. Crown swaps, re-tapping of cases for new oem case tubes etc are all a part of my resume. I'll also include in this date wheel repairs/replacements and overlays.

#6. Zigmeister status. Full teardowns and rebuilds. I considermyself a watchmaker/craftsman.

Personally, to quote a Woody Allen film Bananas, I'm a #4...with an explaination. I've changed dials and swapped out movements but without a loop. I'd hate to get a close up of my LV's hands at 25X

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

#2 for me. I know my place and it ain't screwing around with watches. Polishing - yes. Straps and bracelets - yes. Fiddly-diddly hand replacements, movement work, luming etc. - no way Jose. Besides I just don't have the time. I have a very good watchsmith a few miles away who is my main man when it comes to "serious" work.

JTB

#2 for me. I know my place and it ain't screwing around with watches. Polishing - yes. Straps and bracelets - yes. Fiddly-diddly hand replacements, movement work, luming etc. - no way Jose. Besides I just don't have the time. I have a very good watchsmith a few miles away who is my main man when it comes to "serious" work.

JTB

Great!!!! I love the fact that not all of us here are hard core but love watches none the less!

I guess I should have included springbar work and bracelet modification on the list somewhere. How about #2.5 :)

#3. I've worked on the insides to a very minimum extent. I've regulated a watch, attached a rotor that has fallen off, replaced or greased a gasket etc.....and I'd love to know more and do more.

#4. All the skills of #3 and I've changed a movement/dial which means I've removed a crown and stem, removed and remounted a movement from a case, pulled and remounted hands and dials.

I'm 3.5 with a hankering to get to 4.

I've pulled movements but not hands.

I would say #5 would like to advance further but time restriction

I have stripped down & serviced simple movements but chronographs

are beyond my skill level.

Then I'd consider you a 5+ or a 6-. Anyone who has gotten into the guts of a movement, no matter how simple, and reassembled a watch that lived to talk about it, is in rarified 6ish range to me.

a #4 here.... done a few minor repairs inside of simple movements, can tear down and rebuild hand wound movements thanks to TZ watchschool....Auto-ETA's are my next target... mebee someday I'll even try a chrono.

But a bit of a stepback last week... I killed my P/O 4th gen re-inserting my stem, dang lume dot at 0100 fell off and needed to be reglued... "No Problem" I thinks to myself... upon stem reseating I heard a soft "sproing" and then the hack let loose and the movement was running with no stem installed... Installed the stem and no bite anywhere.... out of my league... So off to Vacum it went for a service/repair and a few gen part installs... I can't fix that one yet. =(

I am learning though. TZ watchschool and a few of the books from amazon that have been on the ad-bars have moved me pretty rapidly from #2 to #4... I'm aiming higher though... Not The Zigmeister high, but I'd like to be able to service my own movements (beyond the handwounds that I can do now) and be self sufficient in my rep-care.

Oh and yee olde irratable admin... see people do click the ad-bars... I bought three books from amazon that were on my ad-bar about two weeks ago... I hope the forum got credit/paid for it... I prolly did the old *right click, "open in new tab"* thingy.

#2 with sights set on #4 status but no time to put in. I'm one of those people that's wants to do everything.. make my own straps.. build my own watches, start 3 new businesses and then fails to do any of it. Need to focus morgan. :bangin: