When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is it possible to recover from Watch Addiction?

GWP123

To be cured of an addiction, you have to *want* to be cured. If you were an alcoholic, would it make sense to seek a cure in the local pub ? Therefore, asking on here if it is possible to recover from a watch addiction is like trying to kick a bad crack habit while living at Toronto Mayor Rob Ford's home in his basement.

I think I'm going to start a new thread about Signs Your Watch Addiction is Getting Of Hand :-)

• Like 1

Nope. Watches starts costing more and more. Once you get into frankens it just gets worse. I started off small. $100-200 reps. Then went on to modding and adding service and parts to those $200 reps. Then I bought the V.907.1/4 of those reps, add GEN straps, bezels anything I could find. Then I started buying frankens. Its pretty much all over from there. I must have spent a little over $20,000 on reps and frankens since I first started collecting. In the last year alone over $14,000 in frankens.

Hmmmmm...a few classic symptoms. Feel free to add some of these to the list on the thread I started : http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/164501-signs-your-watch-hobby-is-taking-over-your-life/#entry1284738

Have you designed the new wing on your home to store/display your rep collection? :-)

How about a massive thread showing photos of your collection? It may inspire some of us junior addicts sink deeper into addiction (lol)

DD

Id say the problem usually starts because we want a nice watch but don't have the funds. Eventually if you stick with this hobby you'll end up buying more expensive watches just because your pay check increases over the years. I joined this forum when I was 28, earning 1000 bucks a week doing part time work. My life has changed enormously and yet I'm still here messing around...Its fun and I enjoy the members here. 

Hmmmmm...a few classic symptoms. Feel free to add some of these to the list on the thread I started : http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/164501-signs-your-watch-hobby-is-taking-over-your-life/#entry1284738

Have you designed the new wing on your home to store/display your rep collection? :-)

How about a massive thread showing photos of your collection? It may inspire some of us junior addicts sink deeper into addiction (lol)

DD

Nah they all just sit in a drawer of my closet, or rotating on my wives wrist. I mostly only wear my daytona, the blue APROO and the Baron. The Patek is the only one thats not mine fully (yet). Still on the "one day when your old enough, its yours" plan. My dad bought it when he made his first big deal, and thanks to the famous PP "you never really own a Patek" commercial he bought a second one for my brother. I won first choice by a flip of a coin. Coincidentally watch preference was determined when my prenup with my wife was written and I had to write all my assets. I get to wear once in a while. 

my rule of thumb is when the gen cost value of your rep collection approaches $500k, you need help...  B)

Mate you could be locked in an empty room and still find a way .....

The only thing I dont get about this thread is that if you could then surely you wouldnt be on here to answer it..? :)

Its like asking gamblers how they beat the addiction in a bookies shop ...... :)

Dont fight it ....just open your heart to your fate..... its too late to turn back... we all know it !!

• Like 1

Should I mention to TapaTalk users that if you search for "watch" in the search box it brings up LOADS, and I do mean bleedin loads, of watch forums worldwide.

And they nearly ALL have member sales sections.

And a lot of them create their own watches and have 'em made in a hundred or so limited runs.

Only 4 windows open looking at the sales forums?

PAH! Try it with about 15 :D

Possible to recover?

Sheeeiiit...

I've had my watch addiction controlled by external forces on my finances, and I no longer plan projects or purchases the way I used to, but that's not to say the love of the subject is no longer there... I'd compare it to a food addict who is forced to live on SlimFast shakes, and occasionally gets treated to a slap up meal... The hunger is still there, but the craving has gone...

After about 10 years, I have found that I eventually got to the point where , even though I still wear reps every day, I have almost no uncontrollable compulsion to obtain any more of them...

Once I got over the fact that my 217 canon pinion was too short, my 036 dial said L SWISS L instead of T SWISS T, and my Omega "UPO" had happy feet, and over a long period of time NOBODY but me even noticed these dreadful flaws, I realized that they are just costume jewelry and certainly not worthy of any sort of obsession.......

But then i've still got the "Red Sox" !!!!!! :clap2:  :clap2: