When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Woman's Bags Way Too Expensive!

Rolexman

I like the Hermes Birkin from Sash too but he is asking for $500. Why does he asking so much?

How much would a real thing cost? I like ones for my wife for christmas but $500 is a lot for a much replica bag.

A real Birkin costs thousands and from what i understand there's a 6 year wait list for one. I was googling earlier on them and one recently went at auction for $64K, granted I think that was a vintage bag.

Also, as far as cost goes, those bags are pretty big and if high quality leather is used that would account for much of the extra cost.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be interested to know the cost to manufacture these bags... likely under $25-50... someone in China is making a lot of money :)

Go to any major store from Walmart to Macy's and track down what any Asian made products production cost/markup is... it's scary.

Also why these guys charge what they do for bags... becuase:

They can.

They need to.

They want to.

Any of those or a combination.

Pricing (unless you are buying something from your buddy) is not solely determined by cost of production... especially with illegal stuff. Remember these guys are here to make money too... I wish they would pass on their goods at cost, but that's not really reasonable to ask of them. The market decides the price. If no one will pay $500 for a leather bag, they won't charge that for long. But if someone thinks it's wroth $500 for the bag that would either cost them:

$3000 in a store

$1500 plane ticket, days of searching and dealing with unscrupulous people and sneaking it back through customs

Hours/days/weeks finding and building relations with whoever deals these bags to our sellers and doing business with those people

then I would be surprised if they change their pricing...

For the record I think anything over $200 for a bag is rediculous and won't pay it, but I think I understand why they charge that much.

Edited by Devedander

A birkin if you could buy it over the counter is something like 18K.

And slay it's far to easy to pick one bag and say all bags are over priced, I can get a rep of a VC Malte ($45,000 gen) for the same price as a rep of a non chrono seamaster.

Ken

I have purchased a half dozen LV Bags from Trusty [Andy] over the last year or so...

All of them with the exception of one that he had to source outside his normal channels has been top notch...

My wife loves them...

Have a neighbor across the street that owns 2 of the originals that my wife has [in Reps]...

I've handled both, and to the naked eye, can't tell...

Most expensive one was $129.00 [for the same I see elsewhere through board members for $200.00]...

Just my 2 cents...

TT

If you take the textured Togo leather that goes into a mirror-image Birkin, plus the perfection of the detailing, hand-stitching and metal hardware, $500.00 is a reasonable price.

I don't really care if it costs a fifth of that price to manufacture, the product itself is totally worth the dealer's price.

Problem is, I have yet to see a rep Birkin that offers the requisite level of authenticity.

As has been posted in the Off-Topic thread on the subject, the overall appearance of Sash's Birkin's is excellent. But there are some details in the workmanship that don't look right. It might just be the way the bag was photographed, or the fact that the close-ups hugely magnify what might well be unnoticable.

Sash himself said something to the effect that 'at shoulder level, the bags look perfect.'

The problem is that anyone who knows what the gen looks like would immediately spot a badly cut flap or an irregularity in the stitching. And at $500.00 a pop, we're in an entirely different league than a $350.00 Fiddy which is 99 percent perfect - not to mention the 98.9 percent Fiddys that several other dealers are offering for less than $200.00

I don't know what the problem is with the high-end rep bag suppliers. I've been trying to sort it out for more than a year, and while I've seen some excellent approximations (still talking Hermes Birkin here) I've yet to see the rep that would make me pull the trigger with no hesitation - there's always that damned detail that sinks the deal.

And yet I know that the mirror-image bags are out there - but for some strange reason, it seems as if the rep bag world is way more volatile than the rep watch counterpart: by the time you've tracked down the source, it's already gone.

It's a pity that Baghandler from the old RWG forum is no longer with us: she could spot the often miniscule differences between a perfect rep bag and a merely acceptable one with her eyes closed - possibly just from smelling it.

And as Forrest Gump would have said, 'That's all I've got to say about the the $500.00 replica Hermes Birkin Bag issue.'

Thread jack but does trusty have a selection of bags to see anywhere? All I get on his page are watches...

Not a Thread Jack in the least...

Open discussion about Bags, Prices, Quality, and places to purchase...

Push HERE for Trusty's selection...

Password: comein

TT

Well it would be ryy just think women and shopping :o

Ken ;)

Actually, I already have. But you're right to bring it up.

Just imagine: Miss X (who knows what a mirror-image Birkin should look like) finds a dealer (Mr.Y) on ioffer or somesuch. She orders one, and it's indeed pefect. Over the next three weeks, thirty other friends, acquaintances, friends of friends of Miss X all decide that they absolutely have to have one for themselves. Mr. Y, the dealer is submerged with orders - which are now multipying at warp speed as 30x30x30x30 of Miss X's contacts inform their contacts who inform their contacts....

To meet the demand, dealer Mr.Y begins to source other manufacturers - with varying degrees of quality. In the meantime, twenty-five other dealers of lesser-quality bags, jealous of Mr. Y's success, denounce him to the local authorities. Mr.Y is more or less busted (put out of business because he can't pay off every official who's on his back for a bribe). And on and on and so-forth, until the cycle begins again.....

Just pure speculation on my part, but I perfectly agree with you Ken: like practically everything else, it's all the fault of women.

I have personally seen instances where a girl in a chat room has tracked down the super copy and then simply offered to sell bags to others on that forum with a bit more added to the cost for her mark up.

Ken

I have personally seen instances where a girl in a chat room has tracked down the super copy and then simply offered to sell bags to others on that forum with a bit more added to the cost for her mark up.

Ken

Shameless hussies.

Aye Ken, it's often a dirty, dangerous business.....

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Rep bag dealers on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched mirror-image Birkins glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those bags will be lost in time, like tears...in rain."

- Roy Baggy, in 'Bagrunner'

Shameless hussies.

Aye Ken, it's often a dirty, dangerous business.....

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Rep bag dealers on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched mirror-image Birkins glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those bags will be lost in time, like tears...in rain."

- Roy Baggy, in 'Bagrunner'

:bangin::lol::lol:

The men's bags are not priced at 10% of the original. As far as I remember they cost from 200-300$.

The real deal only costs 800 at la fayete and around 500 at an outlet store.

I paid about 120$ including shipping (was a huge parcel) for my dunhill bag from andrew and its really top quality. but 120$ was my absolute limit for that bag!

Hi Slay, yeah i agree with you.. the dunhill that i used to offer was way too expensive... i have stopped selling them after i started for awhile now... because of the poor response and high cost price..

ok, seems like there is a whole lot of discussion about the $500 birkin bags.. but it is not $500.. it is $449 after 10% discount for this christmas promo.. :)

and for those who remember, in the off-topic discussion i was asked several times whether i have access to birkins.. i was relunctant to sell it in the beginning due to the high cost and i have no choice but to sell it high too...

having said all that, i have a few members who had pull the trigger on the birkin.. so maybe once they have receive it.. hopefully they can post some reviews or comments on the bag.. its better than coming out from a seller point of view..

cheers

Not a Thread Jack in the least...

Open discussion about Bags, Prices, Quality, and places to purchase...

Push HERE for Trusty's selection...

Password: comein

TT

Thanks for the link.

Some guy was in my work tonight with that exact LV cardholder... he also has a diamond studded watch of some kind and he can pull them off... but I have to wonder if he isn't smart enough to be saving money on reps :)

And keep in mind that the gens are also more expensive than a lot of gen watches--5k for a few pieces of leather that have Hermes stamnped on them are more expensive than a steel JLC with complicated manufactre movement.

There was a pretty funny article about handbags in the New Yorker a couple of weeks ago. Their status-based marketing is even more cynically brilliant than the high end watch induistry's.

LOL. I tell my sis that as often as possible.....she just hits me back about my watches....fair trade IMO, lol.

Is she a blonde blue-eyed Dutch girl ? I think an introduction may be in order :Jumpy:

I've just taken a chance on what seems to be a very nice man-bag from Sash. Hope the quality is as good as he says.

Ken / Sash.. as you guys say, the market is willing ...

Clever man :)

Everyone may like to note that Iam trying to put together a group buy for Hermes Birkins at them moment, if I can get at least 10 buyers I can sell them at $150 a bag, pic's will be up in the next couple of days.

Ken

Fully agree. I'm looking for a Hermes Birkin....man that thing is gonna cost an arm and a leg....

hey dutchy...you have a Pam right?...have you ever purchased a strap...a good quality one...it is in range of 60+ $ - xxx$....and it is just 1/10 of all the leather used in a bag...right?...and the birkin hermes should be one of the finest leather...right?...so it isn't so much more expensive from the straps we use to get for our beloved reps..it is just the fact we are not interested in bags...so we think they are too much expensive...just my 0.02$