When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Year Scenery

Nanuq

I got out the real camera yesterday and snapped a couple photos of Mt McKinley from the deck. Couldn't quite figure out how to get a wristie in here... tough! It's a heck of a mountain. About 300 miles away.

post-32-138860478859.jpg

post-32-138860480454.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry Nanuq

Beautiful picture but I don't think 300 miles in straight line as curvature of the earth would not allow unless Mt. McKinley is 25 miles high. (or you have some kind of weird atmospheric lensing happening here.) HAPPY NEW YEAR any way! (30 miles definitely!)

Denali looms large on the horizon from my house in Fairbanks at around 150 miles. I believe Nanuq is closer than me though, probably he meant 30.

My bad, I flew for years and was constantly referring to visible points of reference and comparing to map info. A bit anal I know. What is the temp where you are ? Here where I am it was  -40c at 07:00 CT. No mountains, just frozen trees,lakes,and swamps!( I'm north of Kenora Ont. Can.)

My bad, I flew for years and was constantly referring to visible points of reference and comparing to map info. A bit anal I know. What is the temp where you are ? Here where I am it was  -40c at 07:00 CT. No mountains, just frozen trees,lakes,and swamps!( I'm north of Kenora Ont. Can.)

It's actually a heatwave right now at 17F. We just came off of a long stretch of -40 to -50 here in Fairbanks though so I share your pain.

Whoops I was thinking of another conversation ... line of sight from my house at 1,500' elevation to the Big Rock is 150 miles, driving distance is closer to 300 miles. There is a definite lensing effect, see that artifact at the base of the mountain? Interesting also that I can see its base from here too. Here's another photo from a different perspective, no zoom and no lensing. It's a long way over there.

post-32-138861027616.jpg

Ain't that the truth! I worked on the bone numbing arctic coast and the highest feature there is Nellie's Knoll at 50'. I had to work outdoors, worst I saw there was -72F and 45mph winds, off the bottom of the wind chill charts.

I'll take balmy south central any time!