When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Canada Goose jackets?

rails

It's getting to be that time to buy a new parka. If you have any suggestions as to where to pick up a great rep (real wolf fur, real down, etc.) please share. I have heard there out there but most sites I see are super shady.

I know that some have reservations about rep coats, but I've owned high quality rep coats in the past, and I'm not looking to embark on a trip to Everest... just need to get through winter in Chicago :)

rails I just bought Canada goose banff parka in military green and quality as well as warmth is awesome. Never buy replica CG jackets since they use cat-, and dogfur which were treated horrible. Moreover, they are filled with dirty chicken feathers from chinese chicken industry. Over and above that, everybody who knows a little about CG jackets would spot it as a fake since they look horrible. I don't know nothing about other fake jackets, but try to avoid fur coming from china since these animals suffer horrible things and it even looks sh*t since it is often minor fur quality. So if you live in the cold, get a real CG. They are totally worth it believe me. Backcountry.com has a good variety and they are certified CG resellers and they deliver ultra fast ;)

• Like 2

Rails, I don't know your size but this is the coat for you. It's crazy warm, waterproof/breathable and bombproof. It's my go to coat for winter camping at ridiculous temps and it's on sale.

Move fast.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/marmot-whitehorse-down-parka-waterproof-650-fill-power-for-big-men~p~2375h/

Unless you live in arctic conditions like me and Nanuq and some other members here you don`t NEED a CG jacket brother!

Even us arctic monkeys only use CG for polar expeditions.... To the POLE.

• Like 1

I live in Alaska and agree with these fellows. I wear a pretty light shell for an overcoat myself and usually wear a lighter fill down puffer and merino wool base layer underneath and those layers are more than warm enough for even -40 below here.

• Like 1

^^ What he said

If you overdress for the cold you'll overheat, then you sweat and you get chilled from the damp bottom layer. You don't need much insulation but you need windproof. The Carhartt would be ideal, the Marmot is waaaaaaay overkill.

Layers are what you need. Adjust them to the wind, temp and precipitation..

Merino on the skin,

Feathers for insulation

Breathable shell for the climate.

Three layers.

I also have good things to say about PrimaLoft vs feathers.

If the feathers get wet you are screwed! PrimaLoft insulation is like wool in a sense and retains heat although soaked.

I have some PrimaLoft insulating layer jackets and they are light and super warm!

Exactly right. Down is the best but it comes with a Big Boy Warning, it has to stay dry.

Wiggys uses Lamilite in their sleeping bags, I like it a little better than Primaloft, both are great insulators. This is also why the outer layer must be breathable, so the insulation layer can vent humidity.

Rails, I don't know your size but this is the coat for you. It's crazy warm, waterproof/breathable and bombproof. It's my go to coat for winter camping at ridiculous temps and it's on sale.

Move fast.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/marmot-whitehorse-down-parka-waterproof-650-fill-power-for-big-men~p~2375h/

Hey B,

HNY to you mate, just in the process of putting together a nice 1575 based Rail dial 1655 Explorer 2 so not been on here for a while, I'll fire you over a couple of shots when its done mate ;)

May i also put forward a UK  based 'leftfield' contender. Soft to the touch Nikwax protected jackets, amazing gear and light but totally warm and waterproof

www.paramo.co.uk

HNY to you all Guys

DH

was minus (-30) Celsius here last week. i had a bought a tumi t-tech jacket which looks exactly like the canada goose chilliwack, (same pattern) genuine canadian coyote fur (very full and lush) and 70% goose down. it was just less than half the cost of the canada goose ($600+) and worked just as well. Canada goose is high fashion now owned by U.S Bain captial.

all the reps i have seen of the canada goose ones are clearly fakes as the maple leaf stitching looks more like an asterisk, and the fur on the fakes are pretty gnarly looking, mangy even. some lab in canada tested the fake CG jackets and said they contained chicken feathers that were unwashed. i would avoid the rep CGs they are not decent.

and just so you know any coyote fur from canada is wolf-coyote hybrid, i dont know if that changes your feelings towards the pelt or not. coyotes are considered pests round these parts, killing small dogs and injuring children.

Exactly right. Down is the best but it comes with a Big Boy Warning, it has to stay dry.

Wiggys uses Lamilite in their sleeping bags, I like it a little better than Primaloft, both are great insulators. This is also why the outer layer must be breathable, so the insulation layer can vent humidity.

I have a couple Wiggy's bags, great bags for the money!

We bought a stack of Wiggys on a special discount for the Boy Scouts troop.  The ones we got are the hybrids where you can zip the thin bag onto the thick inner bag.  Our first outing was a campout at -35F.  The Wiggys are rated for -40F and I've got to say they were COLD at -35F.  Darnit.  They're made really well and I love being able to chuck it in the washing machine but it's not a -40 bag.  For that I use a Mountain Hardwear "King Tut" down bag.  Amazing stuff.

Wiggys uses Lamilite insulation and it survives home washing with no problem at all.  To me that makes it GREAT for jackets too.

I've never tried them but they look like a Sorel boot and those are pretty toasty. They should be nice and toasty.

Remember Wiggy tends to oversell his ideas so take it with a grain of salt.

His claim about feet sweating and getting cold is true. The answer? Put antiperspirant on your feet before your socks. It makes a huge improvement.

And one of these beards for your face ;)

It is a hassle only when you forget about it and get it caught in your jacket zipper..

post-21269-0-67424900-1388955623_thumb.j

I live in Winnipeg, which is one of the coldest major cities in the world. A lot of people here wear Canada Goose jackets, including myself. Get a real one, do not cheap out. They are amazing. Even when it is warmer out (-5 celcius even) they are still great and you don't overheat in them. I highly recommend one.