When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

pam spotting

robideaux

so this customer walks in wearing a 111F or G series. i am certain it's genuine or a heavily modded rep with the best looking crown i've ever seen. anyway, the first time he came in a few days ago i was unfortunately wearing my FM conq. but today, i had my 029 gmt, and i complimented his watch. he said, "oh thanks, i was gonna say something too...." then he asks me what kind of strap it is, so i said "ohh its a genuine (my bordeaux crocodile)." i take the watch off and hand it to him, and he inspects it and all, then says "i've never seen this one before." we were pretty busy, but i don't so i lean over and whisper in his ear and tell him "it's not real." to this he chuckles and says "ahhh really?" then he says very conspicuously in front of everyone "nice copy!" he asked me in front of everyone how much i paid so i said "kind of a lot (got it when they first came out, and 575 bucks is expensive for me), i'll tell you later." unfortunately we were busy so i didn't get to chat it up with him. considering he didn't recognize the older model GMTs, i assume i knew more about the brand than he. he actually was well mannered and nice otherwise, so i think next time i'll strike up a conversation about the quality of these reps. i wont give our community away, but hopefully he wont dismiss it all as BS. if he does and clings to his bourgeoisie commodities, i'll give the most critical diatribe of the culture industry since adorno. then i will argue for the semiotic value of reps, since all mass produced watches are mere tokens of an original design prototype anyway.

Edited by robideaux

i am comfortable with my reps being reps, and anyway i am always under suspicion because i am only 24. plus i am working a service job. he also seemed well mannered and i wanted to ask him if we could compare. i wonder if he would've obliged. and even if he did beleive mine to be real, i wouldn't want to stroke the ego of those who condescend and exalt themselves by flashing their expensive commodities. i am not rich, yet i can afford nice things by being a smart shopper. i think everone should be entitled to nicely designed quality watches with minimal markup--Except the homeless or poverty stricken. Those creeps deserve nothing (read sarcastically).

I have found that when I let people think that a rep is genuine (if they comment on it), they don't really make much of it. It's just a nice watch.

Now when I slip in the candid "it's actually a replica" I get much more interest. They are curious as to where I got it, how do you tell the difference, how much, etc. I get to tell them about creative birthday packaging, customs, the thrill of the chase, how many of the latest reps are remarkably close to real, (don't worry, I haven't betrayed our little community or our dealers) and I get alot more milage out of the conversation.

It has been said so many times here, and by here I mean there...anyone can buy an expensive watch. Most people with reps have crappy Canal St. pieces. It takes some doing to get the elusive A+++ solid gold, Italian made, grade 1 reps for under 1000usd :lol:

I have to admit that there is a bit of a buzz when I catch someone looking intently, but giving it away sometimes makes for more fun.

so this customer walks in wearing a 111F or G series. i am certain it's genuine or a heavily modded rep with the best looking crown i've ever seen. anyway, the first time he came in a few days ago i was unfortunately wearing my FM conq. but today, i had my 029 gmt, and i complimented his watch. he said, "oh thanks, i was gonna say something too...."

This reminds me of Brokeback Mountain ... :Jumpy:

so this customer walks in wearing a 111F or G series. i am certain it's genuine or a heavily modded rep with the best looking crown i've ever seen. anyway, the first time he came in a few days ago i was unfortunately wearing my FM conq. but today, i had my 029 gmt, and i complimented his watch. he said, "oh thanks, i was gonna say something too...." then he asks me what kind of strap it is, so i said "ohh its a genuine (my bordeaux crocodile)." i take the watch off and hand it to him, and he inspects it and all, then says "i've never seen this one before." we were pretty busy, but i don't so i lean over and whisper in his ear and tell him "it's not real." to this he chuckles and says "ahhh really?" then he says very conspicuously in front of everyone "nice copy!" he asked me in front of everyone how much i paid so i said "kind of a lot (got it when they first came out, and 575 bucks is expensive for me), i'll tell you later." unfortunately we were busy so i didn't get to chat it up with him. considering he didn't recognize the older model GMTs, i assume i knew more about the brand than he. he actually was well mannered and nice otherwise, so i think next time i'll strike up a conversation about the quality of these reps. i wont give our community away, but hopefully he wont dismiss it all as BS. if he does and clings to his bourgeoisie commodities, i'll give the most critical diatribe of the culture industry since adorno. then i will argue for the semiotic value of reps, since all mass produced watches are mere tokens of an original design prototype anyway.

one day i came at the gym wearing my pam 029...a guy asked me if it was real...i was thinking for 10 seconds what to say to him...i am not a good liar....and then i said that it was a replica...

however, he said that it is a good looking rep.. :)

one day i came at the gym wearing my pam 029...a guy asked me if it was real...i was thinking for 10 seconds what to say to him...i am not a good liar....and then i said that it was a replica...

however, he said that it is a good looking rep.. :)

You did the right thing. I'm not a good liar either, so when asked I'll say the truth. Hey, I'm not ashamed, I'm proud of my hobby!

...then i will argue for the semiotic value of reps, since all mass produced watches are mere tokens of an original design prototype anyway.

Frederick Jameson is a rep owner!

What I always do is hand over my rep, and ask: "Pardner, I've been staring at our two watches for a few minutes now and granted, I'm kind of a dope, but I just cant see what makes one worth $500 and the other $5,000 except maybe I didn't pay for anyone's coporate jet rides or weekend villa in the Jura.

Edited by archibald

I've had on the fiddy, 111, 183 and have yet to ever hear a single comment on any of my watches. And I usually keep an eye out for others, in particular when I'm in a larger city. The last time I was in DC checking out the watches, I think this guy thought I was checking out something else (unfortunately, when people are walking their watch is about the same height as other things) and the guy looked at me like he wanted to kick my ass, I didn't say anything but was wanted to say,,,just looking at your watch,,,,,which turned out to a timex anyway,,,,,

I do have real watches in my collection...but I was wearing my Day-Date a few weeks ago. My friends know that I love Rolexes.

I was at a bar, and a guy comes over and shows me his Day-Date and it was beautiful. He said, "I saw that you had a great watch...I wanted to say hi." I was like, "Cool...nice to to meet you." I went on with my business. Then, same night...after the bar, I was in the grocery store with my buddies...and a guy comes up, and said, "Wow...nice watch!" I thanked him and went on with my business.

Now, my buddies are thinking I'm wearing a real watch. A little part of me feels guilty not telling them....but, then again, they didn't ask. :)

Maybe I'll just wear the real ones when I'm around them from now on. hahaha...

sv

I hope you own that coffee shop, otherwise there is no way anyone would believe it to be real... :) I also wouldn't have told him unless he asks - IMO it's sort of a kick in the balls to someone who owns the real deal to tell them you own a rep... (but that's just my opinion)

When you tell people who don't really know much about watches that you bought a $300,- replica they think you're even more crazy than when you bought a $3000,- rolex... so i don't bother anymore. When someone asks me and i'm wearing a really good rep i just say it's real. Not to impress them... just not to have to explain to much.

Well, I am enjoying the week on vacation in a PAMoramic wonderland (Carribean). I have seen 7-8 PAM's in a two day period. Here is what is unbelievable - three of them were 187's. Nobody says a word everyone just takes a quick look at each other's wrists and at best nods in acknowledgement. :)

If someone asks "if its real" I usually get indignant and ask them what good a fake watch would do :D

If someone asks if its a rep I might tell them, or I might not.

If they have to ask they either don't know or don't care so my answer isn't really that important.

Only another replica nut, would know weather or not a rep is a rep and I wouldn't have to tell him.

Just because your in the service industry doesn't mean you can't have a nice watch!

I have had expensive gens over the years, I would rather drive a pinto and wear a rolex than drive a rolex and wear a pinto!

:)

When you tell people who don't really know much about watches that you bought a $300,- replica they think you're even more crazy than when you bought a $3000,- rolex... so i don't bother anymore. When someone asks me and i'm wearing a really good rep i just say it's real. Not to impress them... just not to have to explain to much.

Good point... a few people i know say they wouldnt pay more than $30-40 for a genuine Omega Seamaster and then say they know nothing about watches!

I'm kind of disappointed. No one ever says much of anything other than nice watch. Even when I wear four different watches in a week and when the person making the comment is wearing the same brand. Then again I am middle aged and in most places where I am it would be considered undignified to make a comment. Kind of takes the fun out of it though. :D

I'm kind of disappointed. No one ever says much of anything other than nice watch. Even when I wear four different watches in a week and when the person making the comment is wearing the same brand. Then again I am middle aged and in most places where I am it would be considered undignified to make a comment. Kind of takes the fun out of it though. :D

I got a R*l*x two tone serti on right now, but great watch you wearing today kruzer :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I got complements on my 111, 183 and 212 more then few times. Few times random people said nice Panerai, few times just - wow, nice big watch.

No one has ever asked if it's real. Few people at my work that know of the brand never questioned it. Up until a day one of my cooworkers who's seen me wearing them for a while (111 for over a year now) and who is into watches and has few gens said: You spend some major coin on those Panerais. I could not stop myself and told him about 99% acurate reps and my 111-project, new crown guard, crown etc. I explained that I like Panerai designs but I choose not to spend close to $18,000 (including tax) on 3 watches. I let him inspect 212 I was wearing that day and he was pretty amazed how good it is. He actually had a gen watch with 7750 movt. on that day, we compared both see-through cases and he could not stop saying that he never thought there could be such great replicas on the market.

I got complements on my 111, 183 and 212 more then few times. Few times random people said nice Panerai, few times just - wow, nice big watch.

No one has ever asked if it's real. Few people at my work that know of the brand never questioned it. Up until a day one of my cooworkers who's seen me wearing them for a while (111 for over a year now) and who is into watches and has few gens said: You spend some major coin on those Panerais. I could not stop myself and told him about 99% acurate reps and my 111-project, new crown guard, crown etc. I explained that I like Panerai designs but I choose not to spend close to $18,000 (including tax) on 3 watches. I let him inspect 212 I was wearing that day and he was pretty amazed how good it is. He actually had a gen watch with 7750 movt. on that day, we compared both see-through cases and he could not stop saying that he never thought there could be such great replicas on the market.

Good work. Do you know if he's bought any yet?

WELL...thats thru..I dont really give a damn when people ask me wether my watch is a rep or not ...if my frens ask me ..i jsut tell them its reps..but if someone that i dont know..well...dude..just it by its cover....you got ur eyes..and its ur perception or ur view..reps or gen ...take a gez ..and be my gez...wkahakha ...