When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Nanuq's Latest Knife

cornerstone

You wouldn't BELIEVE the stuff I have in my Rover. My license plate is BPRPRD (of course) and I've got a case of Snickers bars (nobody should have to starve in a snow cave!) an ice axe, 7 knives, 3 cans of bear spray, a bow saw, a Sven saw, 2 tow straps, jumper cables, two sizes of lug wrenches, a 5# single bit axe, 2 hatchets, a recording thermometer, GPS, Kestrel 4000 weather tool, 3 compasses, Leatherman, 2 butane fire starters, a magnesium fire starter, 3 lengths of rope, emergency first aid/water/vaseline+cotton kit, and carpet strips so I can get traction when I'm pulling someone out of a ditch.

BE PREPARED!

You call that prepared? ;) If you really want to be prepared for anything in a (modern) Land Rover, you'll have a Toyota hidden inside it :lol: (I'm kidding, I'm kidding)

It's not fair with the Snickers - you have a legitimate reason to eat them. In Australia it's hot as hell. If you keep a case of Snickers bars in your car here you ( a ) have to eat them quickly or they'll melt (as in, within two or three minutes) and ( b ) you're either diabetic or a fat bastard, or a diabetic fat bastard. :rolleyes:

A fire is "false heat" ... you're not really warm, you just *feel* warm. To BE warm you have to metabolize.

Snickers rule in winter camping! Here's why... you eat one before you climb in your sleeping bag, then the sugar metabolizes quickly, for quick warmth. Then the heavier sugars and chocolate metabolize slower... that heat shows up later. Then the fat from the peanuts and caramel metabolizes last and it heats you up latest of all. The benefit of the calories is spread out over a long time.

For REALLY cold camping you make Jello, and mix in some butter, then cook it down like Jello Jigglers. Then eat a few before you climb in the feathers, and the Jello metabolizes fast, and the butter kicks in about an hour later... you're warm a long time. But it's a lot messier than Snickers.

Eskimo hunters bring along fat to stay warm in the arctic. The old timers use muktuk and the younger guys use a stick of salted butter.

Very interesting info. Thanks for sharing!

vaccum

You wouldn't BELIEVE the stuff I have in my Rover. My license plate is BPRPRD (of course) and I've got a case of Snickers bars (nobody should have to starve in a snow cave!) an ice axe, 7 knives, 3 cans of bear spray, a bow saw, a Sven saw, 2 tow straps, jumper cables, two sizes of lug wrenches, a 5# single bit axe, 2 hatchets, a recording thermometer, GPS, Kestrel 4000 weather tool, 3 compasses, Leatherman, 2 butane fire starters, a magnesium fire starter, 3 lengths of rope, emergency first aid/water/vaseline+cotton kit, and carpet strips so I can get traction when I'm pulling someone out of a ditch.

BE PREPARED!

Do you still have enough space to go inside? :blink:

Snickers rule in winter camping! Here's why... you eat one before you climb in your sleeping bag, then the sugar metabolizes quickly, for quick warmth. Then the heavier sugars and chocolate metabolize slower... that heat shows up later. Then the fat from the peanuts and caramel metabolizes last and it heats you up latest of all. The benefit of the calories is spread out over a long time.

Thanks for reminding. I'm having one right now. :g:

Hang on a tic can we back up a little here, Bob in the back of your Land Rover we saw Bear spray..........more info please :blink:

Ken

Thought the same thing.............bear spray? As he didn`t use the word repellant i think it`s to attract them.

And that raises one simple question..................why? :lol: