When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Mayer-Maron connection comes crashing down

ghost

I find it very odd that every thread opened on the subject has been taken down both on vrf and trf. This guy makes me so angry, he should not be a dealer, he should be ostracized. I've emailed him in the past to tell him that certain watches of his have fake dials and he had a temper tantrum, telling me that his "expert" friends can't be wrong..

At least the thread I started never got deleted..

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207593/thread/1383941868/Another+very+questionable+offering

I wonder if one of the watches in question is the famous Mayer Dial Daytona...

It goes to show you that you can never be 100% sure with vintage.

I just saw that Eric at VRF posted a "Do not discuss this issue" post. No one else wants to get sued I guess.

Robert maron is shady. I wish i could dig up the negative stuff i read about him going back almost 10 yrs ago. Also that just shows that john mayer knows [censored] when it comes to watches. Since i also know nothing about watches, when i buy a gen i make sure its a gen. Now if i had his cash i buy a gen vintage watch i make sure i send it to the best and brightest to make sure every significant part is real.

What news!

I clearly remember seeing this http://vimeo.com/75349508´a while back. Was quite impressed and still am.

Any thoughts on the GMT is rep or gen?

Definitely worth watching and I can only agree with him. I guess for most of us watches are not to show off in the public but it is much more than that. It is about passion, knowledge, interest, and history. And if we get compliments for our timepieces it is always appreciated ;)

Btw: gen gmt, bezel is perfect ;)

Really sorry for John Mayer as he seems to be a nice, honest and simple guy who just happens to have earned a lot of money with his self-wrote songs and loves watches. Have reviewed that Hodinkee-vid quite a few times in the past because it´s so nicely done with a serious enthusiasm in an unpretentious manner - and nice watches of course.

The most stunning for me was that even  being into watches a lot more than the regular guy, owning a lot of them and photographing them too, he still thought they were the genuine article. Just shows You can pull off any watch, just have to think it´s a gen.

Maron has had a fair number of "questionable" watches over the years. It's sad that guys k

Like that can continue to operate with impunity, as long as they deliver the watches, and don't do like Mulholland and screw people out of their money and not deliver anything. I suppose you can set up a fancy website, list lots of rare and expensive watches and sucker people in who are not really knowledgable. It makes me a little angry at the VRF for shutting down the discussion, but I suspect that since they were sued not so long back, they are afraid that this could come back and bite them as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm going to take the unusual step of blaming Hodinkee. Ben's notorious inability to spot a redial must have rubbed off on John :)

I caught the VRF thread and read the court papers but they did not specify which watches were at issue. I believe it was 7 watches and the suit was for 5 million.

Looks like the Mayer Dial Daytona is in question based on this article which refers to a forum discussion on VRF.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/03/20/john-mayer-rolex-lawsuit-robert-maron-counterfeit-message-board/

Here is Mayer's post in 2007.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207593/message/1194638551/Putting+a+Pin+In+It...

No that's the funny thing, that's just Maron's lawyer trying to spin it. The watches he is suing over are not "Mayer" dial daytonas they are watches that rolex have told him have fake dials. On the contrary rolex has told him that the "Mayer" dials are good (edit: I've learned that rolex won't say one way or the other about the "Mayer" dials (which have real world value) but they have def told him that the Maron watches have fake dials (no real world value)) that's why he is so confident about them and why he announced in that post that he was willing to buy them, he teased that if people thought they were fake why not sell them to him.... Why would that have anything to do with him buying watches from Maron under the assumption that they were genuine and had genuine parts? That is about as ridiculous as someone using that very tactic on any one of us.. showing a post one of us made about wanting a rep to justify having ripped us off in an unrelated purchase. So if Maron sells me a watch that he says is genuine and then I find out it has a Minh dial I guess I'm shit out of luck according to his scumbag lawyer.. I've bought reps and posted about them online so I'm not eligible to be treated like any one else, it's ok to sell me a Franken watch as a genuine. Right?

That's a pretty weak defence

That is agreed cc... Sadly, people hearing about Mayer and his watch collection for the first time as well as the VRF article (which TMZ has taken completely out of context), will have very little sympathy for him. Afterall, Spending million$$ on Rolexes (fake or genuine) is what I would call a "high-class" problem.... Not many will be able to relate.

I'm sure Maron's defense will be that Mayer, as a watch aficionado, should have known exactly what he was buying and as a self-proclaimed expert of sorts, should have been able to authenticate (at least the dials) the watches he was buying. It's not as if he was a noob. It would be analogous to an individual purchasing shares in a start-up; the investors would have to sign an "accredited investor" form that states he/she fully understands the risks involved since they are "sophisticated investors". In the vintage Rolex world, Mayer would certainly be categorized as such.

Mayer, unfortunately, has the burden of proof, and needs to prove that Maron knew that some of his watches were Minh specials and sold them with that knowledge.

I'm sure there was some disclaimer in the sales contracts that alleviates Maron of liability having made "his best efforts to authenticate each watch he sells as being 100% genuine.

This is going to be an interesting case for all vintage watch dealers and auction houses.