When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Value of distressed 1970's GMT master

AyJayKay

My friend has a 1970's GMT Master in a very distressed condition as can be see from the picture. It does not have a bracelet and the back looks like someone used a screwdriver to get the back off. It also does not run.

Obviously it needs to be restored before it can be used. Or sold. The question is by how much it should be restored. I would prefer to have it fully restored with new crystal, hands, face etc. But I know there is a good market for distressed watches in original condition. So how far should the restoration go? And what is it likely to cost? And what would be the value after restoration?

Also, if I could buy it, what should I pay for it? Pardon all the questions, but I am new to the Rolex world.

post-63624-0-76114200-1398701965_thumb.j

post-63624-0-49093900-1398702499_thumb.j

• Like 1

Were it me & I was looking to buy it, I would start around $4k and be willing to pay as much as $7k-ish (though it may be worth a good deal more, but I would need to see good, clear macros of the movement & internal case).

Get the movement professionally overhauled, polish or replace the xtal and all rubber gaskets and wear it as is. Do not change the dial, hands or crown, as replacements will all reduce its overall value.

• Like 4

I agree with what Freddy says.
I might start by offering $3500 and the only thing I don't like is the minute hand losing lume- that could be a problem at some point.

But the less you change, the more valuable the watch is- it's a classic.

Bob Ridley up in the DFW area would be a good person to work on it, but he's not cheap. Maybe he could fix the minute hand. 

OP, the small hand would suggest it's earlier, though the CG shape looks 70s to me.  Then again, could be that there are more examples of 70s ones with less polishing.

On that note, if you do buy it or guide your friend in his restoration PLEASE DO NOT POLISH THIS CASE!  Too many 1675s lose their shape, especially their CGs, and unlike subs and SDs, they never look right after that.

Please have someone like Bob Ridley guide you. It's very easy to destroy the value of a watch like this, and a lot of people will change things and kill the value. Master watch smiths like Bob Ridley are experts in restoration of vintage Rolex watches. They know what to do to make the watch usable and reliable, and actually increase the value rather than destroy it.

Service the movement, refurb the crystal and maybe search for a new caseback (based on your description of a screwdriver opening) is all I would touch. Leave the rest as-is.

I wouldn't do it (as others have said), but if you feel you have to update dial, hands and crown, make sure you keep the original parts.

IMHO servicing at Bob Riley for that 1675 is an overkill. You will be looking at additional 1.5k for service at watchmaker intl...

All your really is really servicing the movement and pressure test it.. Perhaps a nicer insert.

I wouldn't pay more than $4800 for a 70's GMT. If the dial is correct for the serial range, i wouldn't touch the dial and hands. They look nice as it is...just my opinion

Flex

OP, the small hand would suggest it's earlier, though the CG shape looks 70s to me.  Then again, could be that there are more examples of 70s ones with less polishing.

On that note, if you do buy it or guide your friend in his restoration PLEASE DO NOT POLISH THIS CASE!  Too many 1675s lose their shape, especially their CGs, and unlike subs and SDs, they never look right after that.

I now have the watch with me. It seems to be dated 11.67 and the movement is a 1675. 

Were it me & I was looking to buy it, I would start around $4k and be willing to pay as much as $7k-ish (though it may be worth a good deal more, but I would need to see good, clear macros of the movement & internal case).

Get the movement professionally overhauled, polish or replace the xtal and all rubber gaskets and wear it as is. Do not change the dial, hands or crown, as replacements will all reduce its overall value.

The bracelet is missing. What style of bracelet would suit it? I have a 1990's bracelet from a Submariner as well as a generic oyster type without branding or the diving extension. Those will be fine for wearing, but what about for resale?

Looking at the part of the link still there, it seems to have had more of a Jubilee rather than an Oyster style.

• 2 weeks later...

Some more images. You will notice the case back is damaged as if someone used a chisel. The serial no for the watch is 1637400. There is a number on the movement 23141.

I understand that the watch was bought in Zambia.

post-63624-0-80906300-1400330479_thumb.j

post-63624-0-66360500-1400330483_thumb.j

post-63624-0-16145000-1400330487_thumb.j

post-63624-0-05957400-1400330491_thumb.j

post-63624-0-98491100-1400330506_thumb.j

The bracelet is missing. What style of bracelet would suit it? I have a 1990's bracelet from a Submariner as well as a generic oyster type without branding or the diving extension. Those will be fine for wearing, but what about for resale?

Looking at the part of the link still there, it seems to have had more of a Jubilee rather than an Oyster style.

Have seen them with a 7836 folded oyster bracelet and with a 62510 jubilee.

Outside of the case back that was probably opened with a screwdriver or chisel and a hammer to tap on the chisel to open the back, it looks pretty good. It probably needs a service. Were you able to use a regular Rolex case back opener to get the back off this time. If it were sent to a RSC, they would probably put it on a 78360 w/ 280 endlinks, as I doubt that they still have 7836 bracelets. Very nice watch, and with a little TLC, could be really nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

Just got my GMT-Master back from its refurb. It looks brand new with a new dial, bezel insert, hands and crown. At the moment it is mounted on a generic oyster bracelet as I still have to decide what bracelet to go with. My wallet has to recover a bit too :)

I kept the original insert, dial, hands and glass in case I want to go back to the original look. I have also made contact with a person who can tough up the missing tritium on the minutes hand. All in, the watch has cost me about $2400 which includes the purchase price and the refurb. The watchmaker tells me that although the watch exterior looked a bit rough, the movement is in very good shape and keeps excellent time.

Now for the bracelet? Jubilee or oyster? Sorry about the bad pics, taken with mobile phone and bad lighting. looks a LOT better in person.

post-63624-0-83707700-1413383167_thumb.j

Old Dial still in mint condition

post-63624-0-19092300-1413383180_thumb.j

Old bezel insert nicely faded

post-63624-0-35267100-1413383193_thumb.j

Edited by AyJayKay