When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Finally pulled the trigger on Gen 1675

archierocks

Has many of you will know the only rolex that i really love is the 1675 I've always thought about building one buying a frank etc etc 

its taken a while to find this little gem of a gen  I've paid the deposit  to reserve her and should pick her up friday .shes from 1973 but still looking good for her age.

FVHDGCLX.jpg

Are you sure?  That looks like a service replacement luminova dial.  I could be wrong, but at least in 1972 (which I am looking at as a birth year piece) they were still using tritium.  Not sure about 1973.

A quick interwebz search reveals that your dial is indeed a replacement dial.  They didn't start using the plain "Swiss" text again until '98.  Just FYI.

1. “Swiss”

luminous material Radium

used until 1960

radioactive

“Swiss T - < 25”

luminous material Tritium

used from 1960 until 1998

radioactive, radioactivity less than 925 MBq (25 mCi)

“T Swiss T”

luminous material Tritium

used from 1960 until 1998

radioactive, radioactivity less than 277 MBq (7,5 mCi)

“Swiss”

luminous material luminova

used from 1998 until 2000

not radioactive

“Swiss Made”

luminous material Superluminova

used from 2000

not radioactive 

Edited by Mendota Explorer

Yes, that is a luminova service dial, c. 1998. Hands are luminova also, but at least they glow.

Even tho it's still 100% Rolex, service dial and hands will detract 10-20% from the price- maybe more than if the watch is all original.

but it's still a nice watch for everyday wear.

Yes, that is a luminova service dial, c. 1998. Hands are luminova also, but at least they glow.

Even tho it's still 100% Rolex, service dial and hands will detract 10-20% from the price- maybe more than if the watch is all original.

but it's still a nice watch for everyday wear.

Ditto.

• 4 weeks later...

Agree with the service dial and will also mention that the date window doesn't look centered over the cyclops (that could be the angle through). I've got a gen 1675 with service crystal and bezel insert. Love the service dial so I bought one on VRF...now just waiting on hands. If you like the service dial, fantastic...it will glow and make the watch functional. My 1680 has Swiss 25 lumi dial and I love it! My grail is a 5512 with service dial!