When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New tactical watch

Ezio

Hey guys wondering if anybody of you know a good outdoor and tactical watch

And by the way a Quick question with a Real ETA in a rep is the reliability as good as a gen watch

Why im asking is now 3 of my reps havent survived a flight with me accept my swiss ETA rolex keep working like a baby ?

Best regards as Always

Edited by Ezio

I believe that a well constructed rep with a good solid movement will perform and last as well as a gen. I have some reps that are close to 10 years old, and they are still running just like the day they were built. Unfortunately, I believe that we are getting a lot of really crappy movements in the watches we buy today. the clone of the Asian Clone is a good example. And like mymanmatt posted a day ago, the movements he is seeing today are a hodge podge of Swiss and Asian parts, and a lot of those parts are old worn out stuff. Unless you take the back off, and are a real expert at identifying movements, you really don't know what you have inside. Matt has been building and repairing watches since 1985, so he has seen the progression from every watch having an ETA Swiss movement to pretty good Asian to what we have today. I really believe that when he says a movement is a mix&match, I believe he knows what he's talking about.

I have a 10 year old rep sub with 2836 Swiss ETA. Obviously not a tactical watch but worn it playing golf and hitting thousands of balls for years. Runs great. Had one service that's it. Matt put an Swiss eta in my big crown on rubber b strap and lately that is my golf watch. I play three times a week and practice at least one other day. It's holding up nicely. So my experience is those eta's are pretty solid. I swing a club 115 mph so the take a pretty good jolt.....I have golfed in my gen sub and day date many times also but that is really why I bought the rep in the first place. To have something I was less scared to break at the course and the gym.

Sent from my droptop using telepathy.

Depending on what your uses for this watch is...

If it's actually an outdoor tactical watch where you are actually active with it on I prefer quartz to be honest. While I see the "point" of using a automatic movement... I really don't see the point when using it for outdoor activities just because you can.

When I go camping or biking I put on a Marathon Navigator because you never have to worry about it... Ever. Best $200 I've ever spent. It hasn't lost a second... Only time I set it is for daylight savings.

Now if you're just looking for a tactical watch just for the design.. There's plenty out there to choose from.

I believe that a well constructed rep with a good solid movement will perform and last as well as a gen. I have some reps that are close to 10 years old, and they are still running just like the day they were built. Unfortunately, I believe that we are getting a lot of really crappy movements in the watches we buy today. the clone of the Asian Clone is a good example. And like mymanmatt posted a day ago, the movements he is seeing today are a hodge podge of Swiss and Asian parts, and a lot of those parts are old worn out stuff. Unless you take the back off, and are a real expert at identifying movements, you really don't know what you have inside. Matt has been building and repairing watches since 1985, so he has seen the progression from every watch having an ETA Swiss movement to pretty good Asian to what we have today. I really believe that when he says a movement is a mix&match, I believe he knows what he's talking about.

Good point but i dont know even though i Got some Nice reps with swiss ETA not bought like that installed after watches i really like i change movement never buy the swiss movement from tds haha :)

Check out the Marathon JSAR or GSAR. Very well made 'tool' watch that will hold up to whatever you give it. I really miss. I've a lot!

Dave...

Will look Into it thanks :)

I have a 10 year old rep sub with 2836 Swiss ETA. Obviously not a tactical watch but worn it playing golf and hitting thousands of balls for years. Runs great. Had one service that's it. Matt put an Swiss eta in my big crown on rubber b strap and lately that is my golf watch. I play three times a week and practice at least one other day. It's holding up nicely. So my experience is those eta's are pretty solid. I swing a club 115 mph so the take a pretty good jolt.....I have golfed in my gen sub and day date many times also but that is really why I bought the rep in the first place. To have something I was less scared to break at the course and the gym.

Sent from my droptop using telepathy.

Yeah but still even though its hard for a watch to play golf we are dealing with alot more when im flying :)

Depending on what your uses for this watch is...

If it's actually an outdoor tactical watch where you are actually active with it on I prefer quartz to be honest. While I see the "point" of using a automatic movement... I really don't see the point when using it for outdoor activities just because you can.

When I go camping or biking I put on a Marathon Navigator because you never have to worry about it... Ever. Best $200 I've ever spent. It hasn't lost a second... Only time I set it is for daylight savings.

Now if you're just looking for a tactical watch just for the design.. There's plenty out there to choose from.

Hey mate its not just the design i need something that will keep ticking forever because even though im a fighter pilot we keep our training on the Ground exactly like the rest of the forces but the problem is not Ground training its when i take Them flying weirdly enough

Can only second to use a non mechanical watch as tactical watch. Like casio, tissot t-touch, g-shock if you like them etc..what happended to the watches after your flight? They stopped working?

Yeah They just stopped i know it gets a alot of g's but still i find it weird They just stop working

And by the way the watch must be Black or a dim colour regulation code say it has to

I have had a lot of experience with Eta 28xx movements and must say they are reliable and fairly rugged as long as they are in good condition and have been c/o in the last few years. They are no match for a good quartz movement in reliability and ruggedness though.

Eta 28xx troubles are dry or worn reversers, winding rotor bearings worn out or the weight knocked off leaving the race on the movement, worn out winding parts from hand winding, and setting problems now and then. Other than that they are pretty tough. This does not include the 2892 family as I have not had much experience with them.

Also had quite a bit of experience with rolex 1210, 1530, 3035, 3135 and will say the rolex reputation for being rugged was earned back when everyone wore mechanical watches and the reality back then was rolex was no more rugged than Bulova, Benrus etc, they just usually had better cases back then...imho of course. I must say 'imho' because so many rolex owners believe the hype and have no experience with break downs because they treat their watches like 'heirlooms'.

A steel screw back case with a high quality case tube and crown, thick MG or sapphire crystal, and quartz movement is hard to beat for everyday wear. For extreme wear a digital G Shock etc would probably be a better choice...no wheels inside, no hands to knock off etc.

The Extreme Rule is CBP Rules...Ha!

CBP = Cheap Black Plastic

One catch with CBP cases is that spring bars can pull out of the case and rotating bezels get knocked off. They are not usually worth repairing.

Acrylic crystals are Ok but get scratched easily and the crown does not have to be the screw down type as long as it has a good O ring etc that will stay dry down to an actual 50 or 75 feet. I have a Marathon CCG (Eta 2824) that is WR down to 200m and it has a double O ring non screw down crown. These watches are actually good to 200m...not just the 200m FTC BS rating like printed on many watches.

I have owned a few Luminox watches and all were fine. A few owners I know had the tritium vials get knocked out of the hands...not hard to fix though. Most had Harley Ronda quartz movements with extra tall canon pinions to allow for the thick hands.

The one you picked looks like a very good choice to me.

"The Extreme Rule is CBP Rules...Ha!

CBP = Cheap Black Plastic"

Yes it does, mine:

luminox-recon-black-dial-green-nylon-str

• Brand
  • Luminox
  • Model number
  • SU8825.KM
  • Series
  • 8800 Recon
  • Watch Style
  • Sport
  • Movement
  • Quartz
  • Functions
  • Date, Hour, Minute, Second
  • Case Material
  • Black-tone PC/Carbon
  • Case Shape
  • Round
  • Case Diameter
  • Case Thickness
  • 13 mm
  • Case Back
  • Solid
  • Crown
  • Pull / Push
  • Bezel
  • Uni-directional Rotating
  • Dial Color
  • Black
  • Dial Type
  • Analog
  • Dial Markers
  • Arabic Numeral
  • Hands
  • Luminous Green
  • Luminiscents
  • Hands and Markers
  • Bracelet
  • Green Textile/Nylon
  • Band Length
  • 10.25 inches
  • Band Width
  • 22 mm
  • Clasp
  • Tang
  • Calendar
  • Date display at the 3 o'clock position
  • Water Resistant
  • 200 meters / 660 feet
  • Crystal
  • Scratch Resistant Sapphire
  • Watch Label
  • Swiss Made

This is what I wore when I flew with the USAF. MIL issued! ETA Quartz movement and Hesalite crystal to expand with pressure changes.

post-17337-140302775076.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk