When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is My Watch Gay?

Aidan

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being heretosexual however not having anything against gays, having a son that has just

confessed to me that he's from that group.., I still find certain watches

and sizes and styles in some brands ... feminine...

FM and Cartier have quite a few in their lines... as does Gerald Genta, Piaget to name a few.

Anything smaller than 38mm or with Diamonds...or 'Pink Gold'... now called 'Rose Gold'

which was originally made for women,.. but now is being pushed into the men's market...

and last but not least.. bands with light colors,.. white, light blue, orange, yellow..ect ect....

any color but brown & black...

I don't know why I feel so stongly about it... maybe it's because I was always called by

women,..handsome cutie pie,.. , and by men, 'Pretty Boy' which caused quite a few fights

growing up, to prove that I was as masculine as any.. then joining the Navy.. becoming a SEAL,

mastering martial arts.. ect....

Now that I am older,..I thought I was past all that... and have recently moved slightly out of

my watch realm of 'Tool Watches' into some dress watches, or some with a more relaxed theme..

but having just moved to San Francisco... and finding gay men looking my way and winking...

it's bringing on those old feelings, and making me put on my Mr. Mean face once again, and

sending me back into my search for that ever masculine tool watch... :D

Check yourselves, guys :g: Let's face it...you're pursuing a hobby which involves filling up a jewelry box! (Call it what you want...it's a jewelry box). You involve yourselves in conversations with titles like "Do you match your watch to your outfit, or vice versa?". Many of you use smilies in your posts. :yu:

At the very least, this falls into the metrosexual category.

Of course, I just build tool watches, and use them to tell the time :whistling:

Better explain the nature of watches to your child. Sit her down, remove the stem from the movement and start talking about the birds and the bees. That the stem/crown is a simple thing, straightforward, functional and built for a grand purpose - in the name of equality you can skip the crown-part/superiority and so on. By doing so you can also explain that size doesn't necessarily matter as long as it fits into the hole. Also, if excessive force is used, it could be devastating. The movement on the other hand, boy there's a difference. Complicated, fragile, heavy maintenence. Sure, some are more easily entertained than other and can be functional if they exercise and move around. They should however still be serviced to ensure that it will be happy, and even then it will sometimes also crave a new stem/crown - or worse, use 'pushers' on the side. Thus, the watch could impossibly be gay, well... with the exception of Le Freak, but that one is leaning towards being a hermaphrodite.

Can watches be gay? How have other people on here dealt with this issue. Which is the most

gay watch.

In answer to the first question: of course. Gay watches have been 'coming out' ever since the milestone event described in the ground-breaking film, 'Pulp Fiction.'

(Wow, that was an awful one. Maybe I should have said, 'Only if they swallow?' Not much better :-(

Ok, some of my best watches are gay - doesn't bother me a bit. I even know of one couple of Franck Mullers which are planning on adopting a little Patek. Personally, I'm for equal rights for gay watches. I think it's unadmissable that they have to spend most of their lives hidden at the back of people's watchboxes....

And we haven't even gotten into the subject of gay straps. Puggy could tell us a lot about that - I believe he's quite 'close' to a Muppet or two.....

As for 'the most gay watch' - that's something that TTK knows the most about - he appears to have a special fondness for them. Something about creating a center for Gay Watches where they can meet and socialize without feeling ostracised. A YMCA kind of place - I think he's calling it the Ethel Merman Memorial Center For Gay Watches or something like that. Entirely financed by him. TTK is good that way - not many people know that side of him.

I'm glad this issue is finally coming out of the closet and onto the RWG forum. I think many of you will be surprised when you learn the real orientations of some of those oh-so-'manly' Breits, Rollies and Panerais of yours.....

Miss Understood could fill us in on this, but God only knows what she's up to these days....

So it is gay then. I knew it deep down I just needed it confirmed. I won't treat the watch any

different than before, at the end of the day its my watch and I love it just as much as the other

eight. That said I will be wearing a Paneari 111h to football on saturday, I would like to see anyone

call that mother gay.

That said I will be wearing a Paneari 111h to football on saturday, I would like to see anyone call that mother gay.

Well, the thing about that 111h is that I've never come across groups of men discussing the suppleness of their leather straps as much as on Panerai forums. Never. :Jumpy:

Homophobia lives even on a watch board!!!!!

Is the topic that some designs are masculine, some are unisex and some are feminine??? Sure they are. Are colors considered masculine and feminine??? Of course. But I have gay friends who sport stainless Rolexs and straight friends who wear colorful Corums so....who knows and who cares

Dont ask about the watch and dont tell

Any guy sporting a genuine $30,000 Breuget dress watch is a stud to me.

Homophobia lives even on a watch board!!!!!

Not really. I believe you're seeing internet-homophobia which is a poor cousin that's shrouded in the mathematics that you can't be too homophobic as percentagewise, we should have several gay members and one of them could be that guy you chat with a few times a week.

Let's face it. Some of our best friends are gay and we don't even know it. How homophobic can you really be knowing that? And I'm not just talking about on the internet. :D

In a word, yes.

Orange strap = Gay

Sorry man. Just change the strap and you are good to go. As far as the B&R, I don't see anything wrong with that unless it matches your chaps. :Jumpy:

...chaps..hmmm...not them buttless chaps....i just sneezed coffee out my nostrils onto the keyboard. Thanks for that visual.... :yuk:

...remember SNL's Ambiguously Gay Duo? :snog:

"come on Ace let's go....Right Gary!"

funny sh*t...

I'm hetero and I would never ever wear an orange strap because orange is accepted as a gay color.. ask any gay and he will tell you this is so. The B&R 46 chrono orange hands and numbers is a different story all together. The orange is limited to a surface of less than 8.9%.. that's is below the 17% allowed orange to surface percentage factor. Above this number you are flaunting your gayness, or if not gay.. at risk of being accused of gayness which is fine if you are gay. Put an orange strap on it and.. well... instant gay. :Jumpy:

For me,.. gay, which was pointed out, does not equate, masculine or feminine,..

That's a stereotype, of the lady like man, or the butch woman, when the most

feminine woman can be homosexual, as can the most manly man...

This thread to me, is about what types of watches you prefer,.... which says nothing about

your sexual orientation... only your tastes.... -_-

Seems to me, men who are overtly hairy,.. large boned and typically masculine can pull off

a Cartier or Frank M... as it seems to play down and smooth out their look...

While men without overt masculinity, can toughen up their image with a well chosen

pam, or sub or breitling.... B)

I was wearing my Orange Planet Ocean the other day when my daughter stunned me by accusing

the watch of being gay. I know it has a bright Orange leather strap but I never knew it was gay. To

top it all I has an Orange Bell and Ross on last night my wife saw it and accused that of being gay too.

My daughter said it was gay in a 1970's way. Are they going to call my Breitling with a blue face and

strap gay too?

Can watches be gay? How have other people on here dealt with this issue. Which is the most

gay watch.

:lol: How old is your daughter?

This is a tough one... :g:

On first thought, I would say get your own back - when either your wife or daughter are about to head out the door in their favourite outfit, casually say, "you know, love, that outfit looks really butch on you...."

But, unfortunately, being a smart-arse in this case would only lead you to having to pay for an expensive shopping expedition. :black_eye:

So the best I can suggest is that you save your orange strap for special occasions....like when your in-laws or your daughter's friends come around. :D