When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

42mm submariner: will it happen?

irolexu

So I went to an AD the other day to kill time and noticed the cop was wearing a ceramic sub and of course I looked closely and realized it was a rep but even though it was a rep something caught my attention. The watch was 42mm over sized submariner and it got me thinking. Rolex's next move has to be making the sub larger. I mean they beefed up the explorer II and before we know it the subC will get boring and they will have to do something different: A 42mm submariner...what do you guys think?

Well really dont know what their Big next move is maybe maybe not but we just have to wait and see

It Would be a Big move for rolex to size it up since its part of their Sub to be the standard 40mm

I wouldnt buy a 42 submariner since its not fitting for s submariner ;)

Rolex has made some big moves in the past few years, after years and years of being criticized by watch aficionados as being too staid, dated and not keeping up with the "trends". All this while Rolex SA was selling every watch they produced. So, who knows. If this was 10 years ago, I would say that it would be a better bet on Hell freezing over than Rolex producing a 42mm Sub. But, it isn't 10 years ago, obviously there are more younger, or younger thinking folks in the design department, and who knows what will come out next.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Personally not a fan of overly big watches, but 42 mm may be the perfect size. I will know in the next few days as I ordered the noob v2 216750 and a noob 41 mm 116300. Tracking shows in CA so should be here in next day or two. As far as a 42 mm sub, haven't seen any information on Rolex planning to do one but it would be cool. Probably depends on how sales of current subs are going.

Sent from my droptop using telepathy.

I would definitely be happy with a 42 as my BK Sub c is just not getting the wrist time it deserves. Most of the time I wear my 45 mm orange PO and then next would be my 42mm white dial Explorer 2 or the Bronzo. So in short a 42 mm sub would be very welcome. I'm currently waiting on a DSSD with red DEEPSEA and pro hunter dial that I will then send to Vac for mods.

Edited by Thrasher

ive seen the 42mm reps and ill agree it does look pretty nice but i dont think rolex will ever do it.

the fanboys would go nuts for changing their holy watch.

its such a classic piece, it would be hard to do a major change.

they caught a lot of flack i think for the new case shape. i couldnt imagine if they changed the size of the watch.

isnt the DSSD like 42mm? maybe they can offer that with a sub dial minus the OGEV text.

I don't think they will to protect the price of their current sub. If they bought out a larger one people would probably buy that over the 40mm. Guys would be selling their 40mm to get the bigger one.

How many years have people been shouting for this and a bigger daytona. Then at basel they bring out a platinum ugly as sin daytona. Just what everyone wanted. You have the DSSD. That was basically their answer to a larger sub.

I don't think they will to protect the price of their current sub. If they bought out a larger one people would probably buy that over the 40mm. Guys would be selling their 40mm to get the bigger one.

How many years have people been shouting for this and a bigger daytona. Then at basel they bring out a platinum ugly as sin daytona. Just what everyone wanted. You have the DSSD. That was basically their answer to a larger sub.

Exactly Like he Said dssd is The Big sub as Said earlier i dont Think it Will come but we Will never know before it happens ;)

Anyone prefer a 4x4 Porsche to a 911? No of course not ...

The reason the sub is still the most desired watch is cause of its history and repartition. Trends will go big and small but a sub should stay the same ! Regardless of wrist size, in 1964 where there 50mm watches? Where everyone's wrists smaller ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still believe that it is one of the Rolex USPs that they are not selling wall clocks for watches. I always felt that the huge watches are lacking elegance and subtlety and have kind of a show off character.  As a classic company you do not necessary have to follow any trend. Having said that I own a PAM 243 myself and wear it quite often. But then Panerai has their own character and Rolex has theirs.Why not keep it that way and have some diversification amongst the brands?

-Alex