When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What do you think of this Ralph Lauren Time Piece?

droptopman

Hi All,

I have been a RL Polo guy my whole life.  Just about every piece of clothing, shoes and accessories I own is Polo.  I tend to be brand loyal.  Generally brand loyal to Rolex (now reps) for watches, but RL released a new vintage model that I think is really cool.  Here is a pic and here is a link to the collection.  Clearly the dress watch is a no brainer at 18K, but these sport models range from 3.5-5K.  Something different that you really do not see people wearing much. 39-45 mm models.

http://watches.ralphlauren.com/?ab=en_US_MDLP_Multiple_Men_BKT_R_SHOPNOW#

What do you think of this piece?

post-60288-0-91966800-1409757822_thumb.j

Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming.  I did some research on the movements but cannot locate who makes them.  Everything says they are Swiss custom made COSC certified for RL.  My guess is that they are IWC. I found a picture of the flying Tourbillon movement, but not of this model. I agree price is a steep for what it is, but knowing RL, it will be well executed.  I am trying to see if one of my AD connections can get me a deal on one, as I assume there is much mark up on these.  I like it, but not enough to pay retail.

post-60288-0-20073100-1409761496_thumb.j

and with black band...

post-60288-0-16229200-1409761572_thumb.j

Thanks guys,

I know for 3K I could build a pretty nice franken 6538 which is to be my next build after the 1016 is complete.  We will see if I can find a good deal anywhere.  Still like the looks a lot and I do not have any black cased models, so if I can find a good price, like 2K, I may grab one.  

It's nice all right but I can not help thinking what happens when it needs parts or service on down the road.

Having owned my share of genuine high priced watchjunk throughout the years, I shudder to think how much it will cost.

"Dear Sir, we require a $7000 CA$H deposit before we can open your finely crafted timepiece, checks will not be accepted."   

"Oh yes, in answer to your question...the screw that fell off the front of your watch is only $425 but we require an exchange on all parts. Sorry, no exceptions."  :euro:

I'll wait on the Kenneth Cole look-alike for $129.  :pimp:

Thanks Guys:

Appreciate all the feedback.  Nice thing about being part of this forum is that I can bounce ideas off others.  Before I became part of this community, I really did not have a reference and just bought things on impulse.  Just posting this and getting some feedback kept me from doing that. I agree retail price is too high.  I do have some contacts looking but only if I can acquire at a significant discount like <2K.  Automatico's statements about cost to fix also shed some light.  I too have had some gens that once the warranty expires, they are costly to fix.  One of the reasons I found the forum was that my old gen sub from the 80's needed some work and Rolex wanted more to fix it than the watch was really worth.  I have an old Mont Blanc pen and contacted them about fixing it and got the "send us $100 and we will look at it BS."  The pen was only $300 new......so I bought some rep MB's.  

At the end of the day, this money may be better spent on a franken 6538--I could get an Ivan dial for what the RL watch costs which would be a good start to a nice vintage sub......that is if I don't spend all my money on Michael Kors and Kenneth Cole pieces  :pimp:

Mark

Here is another problem with these genuine "branded" watches, they depreciate like crazy. If you go to forums like WUS and search for any brand that isn't considered a popular brand or is obscure, you will see practically brand new watches selling for 60+ % of the MSRP. So unless you are in love with it and plan to keep it forever, I would stay away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk