When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I don't think Rolex/Omega/AP have anything to worry about...

dbane883

Beater, as in, I would beat it against the wall repeatedly, just because it's an Apple product :)

In all seriousness though, why are these companies even trying to make watches again? These are hideous designs (as are all others that I have seen from any of the other large electronic names), and I can almost guarantee will be grossly over-valued by the typical Apple tech loving sheeple, but will be of no concern to people that actually care about the technicalities of our mechanical watches or the companies making and selling them.

Water under the bridge...

I would never give up any of my mechanical watches for one of these but I defy anyone to not show some appreciation for the engineering that is involved in creating  what is basically one of the most technologically advance gadgets on the planet. Maybe I'm on the wrong forum but I admire advances in technology.

But I have to repeat I would never give up any of my real watches whether rep or gen for one of these. Something like this isn't meant to compete with a real watch but I bet they will sell more than a lot of watch companies.

Edited by dubzter
  • Like 1

Eeek. Gotta love that old stretchy band. I think one of my colleagues at work is after that one to replace his digital timex on stretchy band. He's a Doctor too.... Can't figure him out. Drives a beautiful car but loves weird tech stuff. Hey I have never had a watch with butterflies.

Work already has me tethered to my phone no way in hell I would ever wear one of these. I do like some high tech stuff but not in a watch.

Sent from my droptop using telepathy.

Just hope that tech progress allows us to behold our dear mechanical ones and doesn´t oblige us for whatever reason to wear those in the future (like those who said they would never use/own a handy..) - there´s still the 2-wrist solution however:)

Edited by Nightwatch
  • Like 2

I don't know why anybody would buy one of these in gold. Buying anything in solid gold is expensive but buying a piece of technology that will have been made redundant and outdated in a couple of years in gold seems silly, but I guess you could just wear it and melt it down in a couple of years.

All the watches we know and love have had decades of variations and refinements. We love the details, the sizing and spacing of numerals, the shade of a lume, texture of a dial. It's what makes REAL watches so compelling.

Sure, the technology of shrinking an iphone down to wrist size is impressive, but would I want one on my wrist. No.

Will Apple sell shedloads? Probably.

But only to Apple fanboys. I'm a designer, so have a long history with their products, but can honestly say that I am totally underwhelmed by this.

It doesnt help that Jonny Ive's voice is so irritating. You've designed an ugly watch Jonny, not discovered a cure for cancer.

Rant over

R

It's strange that Jony Ive was - in my teenage years - a guy that i respected so much, in particular for the first iMac (the 1998 one, that i still expose in my house) or the  first iPod or the first iBook.

Well....i see nowadays a man that it's bragging about his (no so good anymore) creations really too much.

Too much.

Money can riun people, apparently.

I'm one of those apple fanboys but I don't think I could see my self wearing one of these. I do like the 18k gold and rose gold versions the best but I'm curious as to what the price of these versions will be my guess is atleast 499

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who in their right mind would want a watch that while at the aiport, shopping and waiting for boarding would say: "Your battery is empty, your watch will be shutting down soon."

• Like 1

It's a mistake to compare this watch to other watches by companies who solely deal with jewelry and watches.

Telling time is so secondary to all the functions of this watch that it's barely even discussable on this forum.

With that said I'm buying one

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

For a day to day timepiece, I would never buy it. But, I can be convinced if it had some accurate functionality such as a reliable heart rate monitor. I hate HRMs that strap around the chest like Polar, Garmin etc. I could never wear those.

I can see increased adoption if sensors could accurately measure not only heart rate but electrolyte levels for athletes, blood sugar, sweat monitor, sun exposure, etc. I think simply for email alerts and twittering will have limited appeal.